Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2021, 18:06   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
SeaTalk2 to WiFi gateway on a Raymarine C80

Hi Team!

We currently have the following set up:

Raymarine C80 MFD Chart plotter, and connected to is we have Autopilot (ST6002) and Depth and Wind gauges (St60+) all hooked up with Seatalk (original seatalk, not seatalk2)

We also have AIS wired in via NMEA 1830 to the C80 MFD Chart plotter.

All this is working great and we are happy. but what I would love to do is set up a Wifi gateway to get all this data on a tablet too.

The C80 MFS has a Seatalk2 (SeaTalkNG) port which current has nothing at all plugged into it.

Does this mean I can buy a Seatalk2 wifi gateway and see all my transducers (wind, depth, autopilot?) and also AIS data by simply plugging that in?

Or is the SeaTalk2 port on the C80 MFD chart plotters an "input data" only?

Thanks!
MaungaMoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 18:33   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: SeaTalk2 to WiFi gateway on a Raymarine C80

EDIT: Now that I think about it more, I realise I could also use the NMEA 1830 OUTPUT option on the C80 into a NMEA Wifi gatewat

My question still stands, will the NMEA 1830 output send all the data, depth, wind, autopilot, AIS too?
MaungaMoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 12:20   #3

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m

Forget Seatalk2, you will get very little support on that system. He died even before Seatalk1.
For mobile apps over WiFi to be able to understand the data, this data must be sent in NMEA0183 format.
Some Raymarine devices translate from Seatalk1 to NMEA0183, but not all information. AIS data does not flow through Seatalk1.
Therefore, you need a dual or triple protocol gateway with WiFi all in one. (triple if you plan to install NMEA2000 one day).

That gateway will take the Seatalk1 data, the AIS data, and send all of that to the WiFi. Some gateways also do the reverse process.

You can find information and links for these devices here:
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._vyacht_others
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 12:29   #4

Boat: Moody 47

We had the same issue, SEATALK instrument data going to a plotter (AXIOM PRO via a SEATALK to SEATLK NG converter) and also Raymarine AIS650 for the AIS data connected to the MFD via SEATALK.

The way to get this data over a WIFI network I have used is this:

https://www.quark-elec.com/product/q...alk-converter/

Simply splice into the SEATALK wiring for the instrument data, and then use one of the NMEA outputs form the AIS650 for the AID data and it works very well, with data displayed on Open CPN via WIFI. Can also view depth and AIS on Navionics Boating if easier as well as NMEA data viewers.

Was a very simple install and took longer to set up the network ports etc than to install it but reckon it took me less than an hour to get it all up and running!

DTD
davethedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine, seatalk, wifi