Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2023, 09:28   #16

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: Reccomendation for electronics inside at nav station

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergius View Post
It's meant as a stats screen for gamers. You'll find a ton of them with "aida64" on Amazon.

The wood frame we built out of some old shelving we had ripped out of the boat.
I assume you had to drive it with a microcomputer, a Pi perhaps? Can you use the second port on the Pi, or does the fact that the resolution is different mean you need to use a second Pi? A Pi on the network knows "everything" and can display it any way you want for around $100 total investment. I assume it is static, so a HID (keyboard, mouse, etc) isn't required.

If this is indeed that kind of project, I may well use it as my introduction to Pi. I can't make the leap to OpenCPN, as the radar upgrade alone would be a couple grand (my existing radar is ethernet driven, but still not OpenCPN supported). But pulling the data off the network as a nav station data screen would be pretty awesome.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 17:32   #17

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Thistle; After being offshore at nite in the rain, winds 25-35k, and having difficulty reading the AIS on my 7inch chartplotter, I upgraded to a 9inch at the helm. Compass and wind instruments on deck in addition to plotter. Dodger and bimini for some cover from seas/weather. Moved the 7in down below to the nav desk so if while on watch (alone) I can rouse a crew member to confirm the AIS contact, distance/heading/spd/etc and whether it requires concern in the comfort of the desk and not having to get foulies/tether/etc on and come on deck. Down side of prescription glasses/driving rain/smallish chartplotter/pitch black nite. So would recommend some source of electronics below for off watch crew to assist if needed. thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 18:29   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I don’t think new boats even come with nav stations anymore, do they ?
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 03:42   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Our boat is old enough to have a very nice nav station but when someone needs to check anything related to navigation incl. AIS inside the boat, an iPad is used.

From posts in this thread I sense that many still don’t have this. It’s ming boggling

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 19:21   #20

I have a 9 inch chartplotter on a swing arm that can sit in the companionway for while you are in the cockpit, or be swung inside and display to the salon. If I were crossing oceans, I might re-think this a bit as to put the washboards in I have to cover up the plotter. But I can put in the lower washboard and close the sliding hatch and still have access to the chartplotter, and with the dodger up it is pretty protected other than from a following sea. This has worked well for me for many years.
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 22:27   #21

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
A laptop running OpenCPN below will show everything, wind and boat data, AIS, and Radar, and is cheaper than having any instruments below.
Yep, similar to my solution which is a cheap Lenova 10" pad with OpenCPN and Cmap charts. Since I tend to do my next-day course planning on it one only needs to "activate" the route to get the course, speed, Xtrack etc data displayed and it is also an excellent anchor watcher, which I take to my bunk in blowy anchorages.

I have the Raycontrol app on the same tablet but cannot remember the last time I used it.

Tags
electronics, men