Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 20:31   #1

Raymarine ST60 Wind stopped working!!

The pointer on the display stopped moving and points down --the windspeed function on display still is working. I checked and cleaned the seatalk cable plugs in back of display. What to do next?? Help! (thanks)..
Old 12-08-2017, 06:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Oday 28
Re: Raymarine ST60 Wind stopped working!!

See this document for instructions
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ST 60 Wind Tests.pdf (87.4 KB, 1849 views)
Old 12-08-2017, 07:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefndeb View Post
See this document for instructions
Thanks! I will do it.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:27   #4

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Frequently, there is a splice or connection in the masthead cable at or near the bottom of the mast. Don't forget to check those connections.

Also, I find I have to do a factory reset somewhat frequently on my unit.
Old 13-08-2017, 08:11   #5

Boat: Catalina 375

Did you think of spider webs. Happened to me a few times. What is more often the case, I lose my true speed but have apparent speed. If not spiders it is always a connection in my case.
Old 13-08-2017, 08:16   #6

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

Good luck getting your instrument to work. I recently sent mine in for repair and was told that Raymarine no longer supports these units.

I complained about planned obsolescence, and was promptly told that I had enjoyed 12 years of use. So much for sympathy or support from Raymarine.
Old 13-08-2017, 08:22   #7

Boat: Newport 28II, 28'

Using binoculars, check the mast head unit for any possible damage or matter that may be fouling the directional vane. Once I discovered an osprey had been using my mast head as his lunch counter and part of the unit was broken. Another time something had been caught in the unit preventing the vane from rotating.
Old 13-08-2017, 08:53   #8
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl

Same thing happened to me after about 10 years. After checking everything, i had to order a new Wind Vane from Raymarine. "Screw off/Screw" on thing at the mast truck. Required a 10 min trip up the mast. Works fine now. I sent the old one in to Raymarine, and they "repaired"it for $250, which I now use as a spare...mnh
Old 13-08-2017, 09:18   #9

Boat: FP Helia 44 Evo

Happened to me too. Wind vane came off in high winds. Replaced it and all good now.
Old 13-08-2017, 09:20   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbeg View Post
Did you think of spider webs. Happened to me a few times. What is more often the case, I lose my true speed but have apparent speed. If not spiders it is always a connection in my case.
If you lose your true wind speed and direction, you may have lost connection with whatever is giving you boat speed. When boat speed registers zero, apparent wind and true wind will be the same.
Old 13-08-2017, 12:14   #11

Boat: Irwin, custom Sloop, 45

Ours did the same and when i looked up to the instrument atop the mast, the portion of the vane that points into the wind was gone. The anemometer cups still spun, thus giving wind speed. You can purchase replacement ST-60 instrument parts (vane) from Defender for about $50.00. Cheers
Old 13-08-2017, 14:52   #12

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

The electronics in the wind vane go bad. We had two go bad (our original plus one that was only a bit over 2 years old). Raymarine offers a FIXED repair price that includes return shipping at $155 each. Just go on the Raymarine website for info. I'm going up our mast when it cools down a bit tonight to reinstall! Good luck!
Old 14-08-2017, 02:33   #13

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
The pointer on the display stopped moving and points down --the windspeed function on display still is working. I checked and cleaned the seatalk cable plugs in back of display. What to do next?? Help! (thanks)..
We had a similar problem with a unit from NASA Marine instruments. We removed the head sealed the cables and brought it home. We found the inside was corroded. I cleaned up the PCB and found that a Tantalum capacitor was corroded. I replaced this. I then found that a hall effect device was faulty so after a lot of hunting we found the replacement. Fitted it and checked the pulses, all was well so the head was re-fitted and has been performing admirably. The cost of the parts was about £2. Cheaoer than a new head and a faster repair than re-running cables.

No everyone will be able to do this as I am told that I am unusual - a female electronics engineer. You may be able to take it to a local electronics repair shop to save money.
Old 14-08-2017, 17:02   #14

OK I tested it per Raymarine Test Spec. Green pin was only 1 volt other pins within specs. What now?
Old 28-02-2020, 16:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaJC View Post
We had a similar problem with a unit from NASA Marine instruments. We removed the head sealed the cables and brought it home. We found the inside was corroded. I cleaned up the PCB and found that a Tantalum capacitor was corroded. I replaced this. I then found that a hall effect device was faulty so after a lot of hunting we found the replacement. Fitted it and checked the pulses, all was well so the head was re-fitted and has been performing admirably. The cost of the parts was about £2. Cheaoer than a new head and a faster repair than re-running cables.

No everyone will be able to do this as I am told that I am unusual - a female electronics engineer. You may be able to take it to a local electronics repair shop to save money.

Hi Fiona, I would be very interested to hear how you troubleshoot this and if you could give me any pointers please. My head unit works for wind angle but not for windspeed. I replaced the PCB and it now works but I'd like to repair the faulty one. did you replace the TCPT 1300? how to test it please?
Closed Thread

Tags
marine, raymarine, wind