Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 00:18   #1

radio receivers (reviews)

Just a neat link I found out there:

eHam.net Reviews - Receivers: General Coverage

I'm not really into the SSB / HAM thing. I know it has its merits, and some people regard it as the cat's meow. Glad you have that going for you, but again, not my thing. I can only have so many "multi thousand dollar systems" (MTDS's) onboard, and I'm past my quota.

I've been looking for a good receiver however, and this makes a handy little reference if you find any at a thrift shop, etc.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 00:25   #2

$55: Degen DE1103 Product Reviews

It got pretty rave reviews. I might pick one of those up. Anyone have any other recommendations for receivers?
Old 06-01-2008, 01:25   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
$55: Degen DE1103 Product Reviews

It got pretty rave reviews. ?
I have a DE1103 they are good. Easy to punch in a frequency but the reviews that say things like the buttons aren’t intuitive are correct. The volume button is the one most sited. Yes, the volume isn’t 'normal' but you get used to it... even though you should not need to 'get used to' equipment, it should be made so you intuitively know how to use it. (Old fuddy-duddies go read another post ) and recharging it is weird as!
You need to keep the instruction book close and keep in mind the Chinese in this industry are playing a joke on you when they write instructions.

I can't find where I put the instruction book and so can't turn off the bloody alarm that keeps switching the radio on some blank frequency at 6am every morning!

I haven’t set it up with the computers sound card yet for weather fax. Thats my job for when its the Chinese Year of The Torrerant Sailor.

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 22:08   #4

That's pretty neat though that I can get weather faxes with one too. I've always like the idea of getting a receiver. I like the $100 total price tag a bit more than the $2000 - $3000 one.

Glad to hear you like that model! I'll start hunting around on ebay for one.
Old 06-01-2008, 22:20   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
I'll start hunting around on ebay for one.
eBay?????? You can get them for US$50! We have to pay well over US$100! AU$135. So stop being a cheapskate

I have a PDF file of the instruction book if you want me to email it.

Mark
Old 06-01-2008, 22:29   #6

Neat write up: check the first reviewer. Looks like the Kaito is the same manufacturer (or the same model, by a different manf).

Amazon.com: Kaito Worldband Radio KA1103 with Free Reel Shortwave Antenna Kaito T1 ($14.95), KA1103: Electronics
Old 06-01-2008, 22:35   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Neat write up: check the first reviewer. Looks like the Kaito is the same manufacturer (or the same model, by a different manf).

Amazon.com: Kaito Worldband Radio KA1103 with Free Reel Shortwave Antenna Kaito T1 ($14.95), KA1103: Electronics
Thats the exact same one buy it says the price is List Price:$199.95 Price:$89.95
Old 10-01-2008, 12:39   #8
Long Range Cruiser

OK I tried my weatherfax last night using the de1103 and shoving a cable from the line out of the radio to the Microphone/line in of the computer. Then downloaded Seatty (Why some people name there programs where it can have a dirty connotation is beyond me!)
Anyway, I tried to get a fax without reading the instructions...

Finally gave in and read the help file and got the following result. You can tell I was still clicking buttons half way through!

The problem with the fax chopped in half - not the black and white, but the map itself is, I think, that I missed the very beginning of the transmition where it send a signal telling the machine whats happening.

Anyway the batteries then ran out and the DE1103 doesn't receive well when its plugged into the charger so I had to quit for the night and go snuggle up

Anyway, the point is, you can get a weatherfax for less than $100 in any currency and this DE1103 does the job!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	first1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	2444  
Old 10-01-2008, 17:06   #9
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
For years I've used an older, very popular Radio Shack DX-440.

It's a large radio, and I like it that way. It takes 6 D size batteries which last forever, the Sound is fantastic with bass and treble controls. Receiving is LW- through 30 MHZ with switchable IF filters and BFO for SSB. FM stereo as well.

These are on Ebay in the $50-$75 range and are always bid on. One of the Ham sites rates this radio very highly and they are still very much sought after.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 13:15   #10

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Anyway the batteries then ran out and the DE1103 doesn't receive well when its plugged into the charger so I had to quit for the night and go snuggle up
Mark,

Is your charger plugged into an AC outlet run from an inverter? If it's a sine wave inverter and it's your charger generating noise (very common) you can put some ferrites on the charger cable to keep RF hash from being radiated from the charger cable. If the inverter's a modified sine wave model, there's little you can do to reduce RFI radiated from your AC system other than running all your AC branch circuits and the invert-to-AC-panel circuit thru grounded metal conduit.

Another option is to build a small DC voltage reduction circuit (12.6Vdc to 6Vdc) to feed clean power to it from the house batteries.

The technical reviews on that radio rave about the rf sensitivity - sounds like a good performing box.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 15:14   #11

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
OK I tried my weatherfax last night using the de1103 and shoving a cable from the line out of the radio to the Microphone/line in of the computer. Then downloaded Seatty Mark
Where can I find information on how to download weatherfax from my Panasonic (als have a Sony) SWR to my IBM Thinkpad?
Thanks _/)
Old 11-01-2008, 15:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausoleil View Post
Is your charger plugged into an AC outlet run from an inverter? If it's a sine wave inverter and it's your charger generating noise (very common) you can put some ferrites on the charger cable to keep RF hash from being radiated from the charger cable. If the inverter's a modified sine wave model, there's little you can do to reduce RFI radiated from your AC system other than running all your AC branch circuits and the invert-to-AC-panel circuit thru grounded metal conduit.

Another option is to builda small DC voltage reduction circuit (12.6Vdc to 6Vdc) to feed clean power to it from the house batteries.
Or buy one? I haven't tried, but assume that many of the multi voltage cigarette lighter plug ones sold for use in automobiles would do the same.

For small loads such as receivers and marine VHF's another option is to use one of the passive noise filters sold cheaply for automobile audio systems as they seem to work at knocking out noise on the DC lines from chargers. Of course, they will do nothing for radiated noise.

Advise getting one though with current handling rating much higher than the equipment actually needs in order to minimise voltage drop through the filter if the equipment is voltage sensitive. For example, I use a 30A one on a 25 watt VHF (rated 6A max.) and which is susceptible to transferring such noise through to its transmitter stages, for next to nothing voltage drop. One would assume that a 5A one would eat a small receiver.

We actually get no noise from our modified sine wave inverter but some from the charger (which is, of course, no problem when not on shore power).
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 12:25   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster
Software for weatherfax

What is the software for the weatherfax? Where can I get/download a free copy? I am going with the 1103 portable radio (screw hfradio.com!).

Micheal
s/v Savannah
San Diego
Cyber Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, reviews