Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2023, 12:53   #1

Boat: Tartan 3700
Pulling mast, radar cable woes...

Hey I need some recommendations...we are pulling the mast to replace the standing rigging, and I started disconnecting the wiring. Most of it looks like no problem, but the radar cable (2005 era Raymarine in a dome, I couldn't find the manual/model in the boat paperwork). 2005 Tartan 3700, Raymarine, E80, ST60 instruments, etc, original to the boat.

The radar cable was wrapped in electrical tape, which I took off, and it looks like someone cut it at some point and soldered it all back together.

Options are to try to pull it all the way from the E80 chart plotter, which is mostly not an issue unless it's hard to get it in/out of the pedestal, or to cut the wire (break the solder) where it was previous soldered and then try to put it back together afterwards. I don't really want to run a whole new cable, they're in the $250 range, and I'd still have to get it through the conduit in the mast.

Photos of the stuff I have to disconnect and the radar cable.
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B125n8hH4nbCDs

What would you all do???
Thanks!
Brian
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 13:19   #2

Re: Pulling mast, radar cable woes...

I installed a electrical terminal strip at the mast base when I did it a couple times. The radar maker said to not cut the cable, however it worked just fine.
The last one I used was this type, I tinned the bare wire ends with solder to avoid corrosion :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	272104  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 13:35   #3

Boat: 1988 Edelcat 35

If you aren't going to be pulling the stick regularly, I would cut and re-solder. The terminal blocks are nice if you drop your rig regularly, but they also add additional resistance, and spots for loose connections.
Mountainsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 14:01   #4

the plug on the e80 end is huge. you will not pull that through anything. you either need to cut the wire at the old cut, or disconnect from inside the radar and pull the cable down the mast. as that end is the small end. (a new cable would have to be run from binicle to radar, fishing the radar end through everything)
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 14:17   #5

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc View Post
Hey I need some recommendations...we are pulling the mast to replace the standing rigging, and I started disconnecting the wiring. Most of it looks like no problem, but the radar cable (2005 era Raymarine in a dome, I couldn't find the manual/model in the boat paperwork). 2005 Tartan 3700, Raymarine, E80, ST60 instruments, etc, original to the boat.

The radar cable was wrapped in electrical tape, which I took off, and it looks like someone cut it at some point and soldered it all back together.

Options are to try to pull it all the way from the E80 chart plotter, which is mostly not an issue unless it's hard to get it in/out of the pedestal, or to cut the wire (break the solder) where it was previous soldered and then try to put it back together afterwards. I don't really want to run a whole new cable, they're in the $250 range, and I'd still have to get it through the conduit in the mast.

Photos of the stuff I have to disconnect and the radar cable.
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B125n8hH4nbCDs

What would you all do???
Thanks!
Brian
============================

" which is mostly not an issue unless it's hard to get it in/out of the pedestal"

Because it is a boat, more likely will be an issue

But sometimes just to keep us confused, things work!!!!

Just have to replace my autopilot unit and have a heck of a challenge running the new wires etc.

Have to enlarge the upper exit hole on the pedestal with a dremel without harming the existing wires etc.

Eventually got it.

It may be worth it to take your time and see how difficult may or not be to pull that cable, you may be surprised. After all, somebody had to install it initially.

If not, the soldering solution is more likely what I will do as suggested.

Again, if that cable does come out from one of the ends (pedestal or dome) and have the mast on the hard, will check how the connection to the dome looks like

Understand, $250 is money, but if everything works out on the removal I will have a brand-new cable.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 14:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post

" which is mostly not an issue unless it's hard to get it in/out of the pedestal"

But sometimes just to keep us confused, things work!!!!

Just have to replace my autopilot unit and have a heck of a challenge running the new wires etc.

Have to enlarge the upper exit hole on the pedestal with a dremel without harming the existing wires etc.

Eventually got it.

It may be worth it to take your time and see how difficult may or not be to pull that cable, you may be surprised. After all, somebody had to install it initially.

If not, the soldering solution is more likely what I will do as suggested.

Again, if that cable does come out from one of the ends (pedestal or dome) and have the mast on the hard, will check how the connection to the dome looks like

Understand, $250 is money, but if everything works out on the removal I will have a brand-new cable.
=============
I have the same as per Cheechako to connect the wiring from the wind indicator at the base of the mast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connection.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	272105  
Old 26-02-2023, 14:46   #7

Quote:

Ha yes I'm familiar, nearly all my "small projects" have at least one gotcha!
Old 26-02-2023, 14:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I installed a electrical terminal strip at the mast base when I did it a couple times. The radar maker said to not cut the cable, however it worked just fine.
The last one I used was this type, I tinned the bare wire ends with solder to avoid corrosion :
Thanks, I think I'm probably going this route. I think there's 16 conductors inside, so we'll see how it looks. What about the sheath? Isn't it part of the "connection"?
Old 26-02-2023, 14:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
the plug on the e80 end is huge. you will not pull that through anything.
Ha, you saved me the effort of opening up the pedestal, I won't even bother.
Old 26-02-2023, 14:50   #10

Quote:
=============
I have the same as per Cheechako to connect the wiring from the wind indicator at the base of the mast.
Looks reasonable actually...

How does it work with the sheath on the cable? It appears in my case at least that the sheath was soldered back together as part of the fix.
Old 26-02-2023, 14:57   #11

if I understand your question correctly, the sheath is removed to access the cables, in your situation will make sure the splice will be done in a protected area from damage by being on the way and weather.
You will find a secure place inside the boat
If inside and protected I do not think the sheath will matter, perhaps a heat tube?
Old 26-02-2023, 15:18   #12

Boat: Nordic 44

First off can you even get the cable. Raymarine likes to obsolete old parts to force you to buy new equipment.

Having said that it appears that you have enough extra cable length to cut out the splice and make a new one. A proper splice with heat shrink tubing on each wire will last for a very long time.

If your RADAR is like mine you will find a ribbon cable as part of that bundle. Many conductors and hard to splice - great patience will be required. To know how many connections you will need to splice count the pins in the connector.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 19:00   #13

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

The sheath is a grounded EMI shield. It’s to prevent the cable from picking up noise/interference. I’m guessing it’s grounded at both ends, so it probably doesn’t have to be continuous, but not 100% sure. Safest bet, if going with the terminal strip, would be to solder a small wire to the shield on either side and make that one of your terminal connections.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 19:26   #14

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
The sheath is a grounded EMI shield. It’s to prevent the cable from picking up noise/interference. I’m guessing it’s grounded at both ends, so it probably doesn’t have to be continuous, but not 100% sure. Safest bet, if going with the terminal strip, would be to solder a small wire to the shield on either side and make that one of your terminal connections.
This is how mine was done. Worked flawlessly on a mast which was pulled annually for eleven years…till I replaced all my electronics four years ago. Terminal blocks are fine but the connections on the new radar units are vastly superior.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 08:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
I see, thanks. I've seen some examples of this in other pictures I found, doesn't seem too difficult. Makes me want to switch to all wireless instruments...but I'm sure that has challenges as well...like the cost ;-)

Tags
mast, radar