Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 11:18   #1

Boat: PT-11
Cable Pulling Rope

or wire pulling rope. Anybody know if it differs from the nylon double braid we'd use for docklines? Apparently, its used by municipalities and utilities to pull big cable through conduit. Since its industrial, you can find it cheaper than nylon double braid for marine use. We are replacing all docklines and bridles and at 1" dia. it gets expensive. Would like to use this stuff if it is all the same. Claimed breaking strength is in the same ballpark.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 15:21   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Cable Pulling Rope

Neko,

It depends on exacally what the line is made from and it's construction. Ideal dock lines are tightly woven double braided nylon, where both the core and cover are nylon, AND have no other fiber composition.

The solid nylon construction is to provide the maximum stretch for the line, and anything else added (I have seen both dyneema and polyester covers or cores in cable pilling line) will seriously compromise the elasticity of the line.

The tightly woven characteristic of the cover particularly is because the tighter the cover is woven the less prone to snagging and chaff it is. Even low price nylon dock lines are often very loosely woven compared to their higher priced competitors.

The problem I have seen in a brief look at cable pulling line is that there doesn't seem to be an industry standard on what the lines should look like, so every manufacturer is prone to doing their own thing. This is probably ok when pulling cables through raceways, but it becomes problematic when trying to use them for docking.

That being said, if I found a tightly woven all nylon construction line, I wouldn't have a problem using it for dock lines. But I also couldn't recommend it generally due to the different variety of lines sold.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 16:48   #3

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"

A non-stretch line would be used for pulling cables, nylon does not apply due to the stretch.

I disagree that double-braid nylon is "ideal" for docklines. Double-braid nylon does not stretch (diameter-for-diameter) as much as three-strand, Mega Braid, or Brait. The best docklines (look at what commercial vessels use..almost NEVER double-braid nylon) are like Mega Braid or Brait made by New England Ropes and Yale respectively.

Mega Braid is easier to splice, Brait is slightly more shock absorbant. Double-braid Nylon is a BITCH to splice (more so than polyester) and, once used, will not allow you to splice it again. I cannot think of a use for double-braid nylon that another type of nylon would not be better.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:10   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Rick,

I think we can agree that solid nylon line of some construction is to be prefered over other materials for dock lines.

Personally I can't stand mega braid lines, since they catch on everything and have poor abrasion characteristics. And three strand while stretchier has a bad habit of getting so stiff that it can't be reliably taken over cleats.

Most of the commercial ships I know are switching to dyneema/spectra lines from wire. None are thinking about nylon since it isn't strong enough.

And double braid is pretty easy to splice. Like any other core dependant line it's a couple of tucks, and a bury. Compare that to weaving twelve strands back on each other, and for me there is no question which is easier. One takes 10 minutes, the other an hour or more.

Either way I think the answer to the OP is that whatever you use should be solid nylon.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote