Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 08:45   #976

Boat: IslandPacket Packet Cat 35
Re: OpenPlotter project

Getting one OpenPlotter to serve NMEA 0183 to second OpenPlotter?

I have been using OpenPlotter v0.5 for a while to multiplex all the NMEA0183 devices on board and serve that via Wifi to an eink tablet at the helm.

Now I want a new Pi3 running v0.9 to multiplex a few more sensors and the NME0183 (WiFi) stream from the old OP into one SignalK stream and serve that using Node-Red to get a virtual dashboard on a new tablet in the cockpit. The Node-Red dashboard is working great. And, I have the second wlan working on the RPi3 (wlan1). It can log into the original OP via WiFi over wlan1 and still serve Node-Red over wlan0.

But, on the NMEA0183 Tab of RPi3 OP, I can't figure out how to tell it to take the NMEA0183 stream from wlan1. It seems to default to wlan0.

Is there an alternative? Perhaps stream wlan1 to a dummy TTY and then link that with kplex via the NMEA0183 tab on the OP?

Any help would be appreciated.
ramalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:16   #977

Boat: Formosa 41
Raspberry pi Zero W - NOOBS install?

Hi guys,

I have just bought a new Rpi0W, and downloaded the latest op version 0.9.

When I boot up I get a pop up box message ;
"No network access"
"Wired network access is required to use NOOBS without local images."

I have checked the /os/OpenPlotter dir and it appears to have the required files;
boot.tar.xz
OpenPlotter.png
os.json
partition_setup.sh
partitions.json
root.tar.xz
slides_vga

Is the issue due to me trying to do it on a Rpi0 and it needing different images?

Any ideas or throughs?
Thanks
Nick_Currawong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 07:47   #978

Boat: 1971 Ericson 39

Hello all,

I've got a Garmin GPS18x USB. On a previous install of OpenCPN it was working flawlessly. Since starting up a new card/install of OpenPlotter I cannot get OpenCPN to get GPS.

I've done quite a bit of googling and searching CF and so far have not found a solution. Thanks in advance for any help.

Here's what the pi knows about the Garmin:

pi@openplotter:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 091e:0003 Garmin International GPS (various models)

pi@openplotter:~ $ dmesg | grep garmin
[ 7.759865] usbcore: registered new interface driver garmin_gps
[ 7.760059] garmin_gps 1-1.4:1.0: Garmin GPS usb/tty converter detected
[ 85.659458] garmin_gps ttyUSB0: Garmin GPS usb/tty converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
[ 85.659496] garmin_gps 1-1.4:1.0: device disconnected
[ 93.160614] garmin_gps 1-1.4:1.0: Garmin GPS usb/tty converter detected
svhulagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 22:25   #979

Boat: Shah - Hylas 44

I would like waterproof touchscreen navigation at the helm position.

I have a Sony Z4 Tablet. This is a fully waterproof 10 inch tablet running Android, and OpenCPN works pretty well. I am receiving wind, compass & AIS data via a Bluetooth Multiplexor. I guess I could try to get it to send out control sentences for the Autopilot but haven't tried that yet.

Questions:

- Would I be better off using Navigatrix and OpenPlotter and OpenCPN to do this as a turn-key solution?

- I decided against a Raspberry Pi (RPi) in the past as I couldn't find a waterproof touch monitor to install in the cockpit. Has anyone found one and got this working with a RPi installed safely 'downstairs'?

- Is anyone doing the same as me, and can recommend useful Android software add-ons to make this work better. (For example, I previously found an App to turn off the touch so that rain / seaspray did not cause the screen to change, but now this app is discontinued.)

Thanks for any help.

Andy
andyalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 22:46   #980

Boat: Boden 36ft sloop

I have my Pi downstairs. I use wifi to have my tablet show all i need. Why do you want your Pi upstairs.
Tacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 23:23   #981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacmed View Post
I have my Pi downstairs. I use wifi to have my tablet show all i need. Why do you want your Pi upstairs.
Thanks for your reply.

I don't have a Pi at the moment. I should have said that explicitly. Everything is running on Android at the moment. And I would certainly want the Pi downstairs if I had one!

Question

- How do you get the Pi to display through Wifi, casting? Isn't that slow / unreliable? I guess not! I've tried casting pictures & videos to my TV using WiFiDirect before and given up.

- How do you access the internet from tablet if the Wifi is occupied with Casting? For example to get Google Maps to show detailed Sat Images?

Nice that you presumably have a dedicated screen downstairs, and a repeater upstairs... is that right?
Old 03-04-2017, 23:28   #982

The Pi uses cable to a wifi router. The router has access to the internet. I use the tablet for convinience where i sit. I have a standard chart plotter running as well. If i want to use the internet on the tablet, i just switch networks.
Old 03-04-2017, 23:29   #983

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtshah View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I don't have a Pi at the moment. I should have said that explicitly. Everything is running on Android at the moment. And I would certainly want the Pi downstairs if I had one!

Question

- How do you get the Pi to display through Wifi, casting? Isn't that slow / unreliable? I guess not! I've tried casting pictures & videos to my TV using WiFiDirect before and given up.

- How do you access the internet from tablet if the Wifi is occupied with Casting? For example to get Google Maps to show detailed Sat Images?

Nice that you presumably have a dedicated screen downstairs, and a repeater upstairs... is that right?
Displaying all the date via wifi is not slow at all. Works real time for me.
Old 04-04-2017, 00:15   #984

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtshah View Post
Thanks for your reply.

Question

I run OpenCPN on a Pi
I use the OpenPlotter 0.8 image which allows the Pi (in the chart table) to be setup as a WiFi access point and VNC or RDP server . I then use a RDP client App on my tablet (waterproof Panasonic) in the cockpit.
That way I have the Pi safely downstairs with its own dedicated monitor and a facsimile of OpenCPN running on the cockpit tablet.
Others prefer to use Openplotter to route NMEA data from the Pi to the tablet using WiFi but I prefer to have two identical displays so as to avoid the problem of keeping waypoints and routes synchronised.
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 00:17   #985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacmed View Post
Displaying all the date via wifi is not slow at all. Works real time for me.
Is that an Android or Windows tablet?
What App are you using on the tablet to display the display from the Pi?

Thanks, Andy
Old 04-04-2017, 00:23   #986

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
I run OpenCPN on a Pi
I use the OpenPlotter 0.8 image which allows the Pi (in the chart table) to be setup as a WiFi access point and VNC or RDP server . I then use a RDP client App on my tablet (waterproof Panasonic) in the cockpit.
That way I have the Pi safely downstairs with its own dedicated monitor and a facsimile of OpenCPN running on the cockpit tablet.
Others prefer to use Openplotter to route NMEA data from the Pi to the tablet using WiFi but I prefer to have two identical displays so as to avoid the problem of keeping waypoints and routes synchronised.
That sounds like a great arrangement. I like the redundancy. When the s**t is going to hit, nice to have a second screen.

Is the tablet at the chart table also using the Wifi AP to connect?

Are they both Android tablets? I guess they could be either, as RDP should work on either?
Old 04-04-2017, 00:25   #987

My tablet is (old) Android so I use either aRDP-Free or bVNC-Free
RealVNC can also be used and if you use a windows based tablet or laptop as the cockpit repeater/client, you can use Windows RDP.
Ive found RDP to be fastest. You wouldnt watch a video over VNC/RDP but Opencpn works just fine
Old 04-04-2017, 00:37   #988

Quote:
RealVNC can also be used and if you use a windows based tablet or laptop as the cockpit repeater/client, you can use Windows RDP.
Ive found RDP to be fastest. You wouldnt watch a video over VNC/RDP but Opencpn works just fine
That's really helpful feedback.

I've found the documentation PDF at https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...on/content/en/

Hopefully that will answer most of my stupid questions!

Old 04-04-2017, 00:56   #989

Quote:
Can you have different RDP sessions at different screen resolutions?

My PC Tablet is something ridiculously high 2736x1824
with an external monitor at 1280x1024

And my Android tablet is 2560x1600
My old Android tablet is 1920x1200

Any ideas? ;-)
Old 04-04-2017, 02:12   #990

Yes you can.
I've deliberately kept my display resolution low (1024x768).
IMO there is no benefit in sending and receiving too much screen data over the WLAN. It only slows the system down and is of no value in a chartplotter display.

Just re-read the question in your post #986
I dont have a tablet at the Navstation, just the Pi running Openplotter/OpenCPN and the Android tablet as my cockpit repeater

BTW are you aware of the Openplotter support forum? - Lots more info there.