Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 02:18   #991
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
Others prefer to use Openplotter to route NMEA data from the Pi to the tablet using WiFi but I prefer to have two identical displays so as to avoid the problem of keeping waypoints and routes synchronised.
Or have both. Opencpn and vnc running on an android tablet, I prefer Opencpn running on Android, vnc can be a little bit clunky but handy to have on the tablet as well.

Synching waypoints and routes over wifi takes a few moments with some bookmarks set up in the likes of astro file browser, just back up the navobj.xml 1 - 5 files then copy over from the Pi (other other way round). Or same from the laptop (filezilla) if that's what you use for route planning, synching the latest machines data before planning a route.
One of these days I'll get round to writing a flow in node-red to automate it all from the push of a button on screen.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:50   #992

Boat: Shah - Hylas 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
Yes you can.
BTW are you aware of the Openplotter support forum? - Lots more info there.
Gosh, there is a lot of technical stuff on there. No need to go sailing any more, I can spend all my time playing with my homebrew Nav system!

Hehe - seriously though, thanks for your pointers!
andyalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:07   #993

Would you be able to use the OpenPlotter RPI system to act as the internet and file sharing server also?

So connect a USB 4G stick into it and a few USB3 MyPassport disk drives?

I think I recall from the AVS forums that the RPI is not fast enough to deliver data over Wifi quick enough for HEVC playback. Perhaps this is best left to a separate device, but would be nice to reduce the power consumption.
Old 04-04-2017, 17:42   #994

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtshah View Post
Would you be able to use the OpenPlotter RPI system to act as the internet and file sharing server also?
I read the manual now, so to answer my own question:

- OpenPlotter can share internet with its display using an AP on one WiFi USB stick

- It can get access to the internet using another Wifi USB stick, Ethernet cable or 3G USB stick (Wifi to a mobile phone with tethering sounds easiest)

- Getting the right combination of USB sticks requires some thought / experimentation

I see no mention of USB disk drives or File Servers, so I am guessing you have to store Charts on the SD Card.
Old 04-04-2017, 17:54   #995

Boat: Boden 36ft sloop

Quote:
Is that an Android or Windows tablet?
What App are you using on the tablet to display the display from the Pi?

Thanks, Andy
I run opencpn on Android, there are other really fancy aps for android which are for instrument displays only....i use small aldroid tabs as wind instuments etc
Tacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:29   #996

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:
I read the manual now, so to answer my own question:

- OpenPlotter can share internet with its display using an AP on one WiFi USB stick

- It can get access to the internet using another Wifi USB stick, Ethernet cable or 3G USB stick (Wifi to a mobile phone with tethering sounds easiest)

- Getting the right combination of USB sticks requires some thought / experimentation

I see no mention of USB disk drives or File Servers, so I am guessing you have to store Charts on the SD Card.
You probably can do it as its only Raspbian underneath however in my installation, all files inc charts are stored on the 8Gb SD card. Personally I prefer to leave the Pi as a dedicated Navigation Computer, albeit with the addition of sensor monitoring (fuel tank, engine temp etc) through OpenPlotter. I dont connect my Navigation Pi to the internet either. The WLAN is only used to connect the Pi to the Cockpit repeater.

If I wanted an on-board file server or media server I'd use a separate Pi.
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:40   #997

Boat: Ovni, 395, 12.7m

Hi,
I have initiated a small project for myself where I want to use only a yacht server as the center and display everything on laptops or mobile. This project fits nicely in with Openplotter and OpenCPN is an essential tool I have used for many years. I have focused on the server part of the central computer, as Openplotter do cover many areas and there is no need to reinvent the wheel.

File server (NFS and possibly SAMBA), NTP server, GPS server etc are such subprojects.

A bit focus on hardware, like the I2C range extender, power supply for 5 & 3.3 V running out of 12V and electrical power measurement. I an not a fan of the mechanical relays so I use only soldid state replays for DC whenever 12V power is switched. The latter is using a Hall element to avoid bringing in the high amp 12 V system into the server electrical system. The usage of Hall element it not quite common yet, many sensors and battery monitors still use a shunt (which is not galvanic isolated from the 12V system). I have started to look into other ways of using the ADS1115 the way I use it (differential measurement) in Openplotter. Libraries provides by Adafruit. I can strongly suggest the Hall element sensors, they work to 50-60Hz AC too and with isolation on the kV range they are safe.

The web pages are located here : https://sites.google.com/site/olewsa...with-raspberry

I'll keep the site updated as I find time to work on this. Any comments and suggestions are welcome. Everything is still on the prototype level at home. I would like to integrate as much as possible with Openplotter as I have no wish to write GUI and web interface, this is already so nicely done.

Regards,
Ole
olewsaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:13   #998
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olewsaa View Post
Hi,
I have initiated a small project for myself .......
Thanks for sharing, useful website you've taken the time to write up
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 18:00   #999

Boat: Pearson P35
Send a message via Skype™ to RobertPRyan

I'd like to mount a monitor on my pedestal ... I'm looking for an IP65 or 66 touch screen resistive monitor ... has anyone found one
RobertPRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 00:59   #1000

Boat: Ovni, 395, 12.7m

Hi,
the ADS1115 support is quite neat and useful. Many signals are analog.

I am however using the ADS1115 in additional modes, see :
https://sites.google.com/site/olewsa...attery-monitor

A simple code is given under the entry: "
A small demo test to read both voltage and current is show here" (it would take to much space to list the py code here). I am using Adafruit ads1115 library.

I am uncertain about the syntax in the ads1115.py and the analog_ads1115.py to extend to be able top use differential mode. Using differential mode is less prone to noise and for the Hall element output where the zero current is 2.5 V (Vcc / 2) and a reference pin (Vcc/2) is provided the differential makes perfect sense. I am also using differential input for the voltage, but this is not stricktly needed, it would be fine using single ended too.

The usage of Hall element current transformers (they are not transformers, but generally referred to as such - AC current legacy) have the huge advantage of isolating the measurement circuit from the computer circuit. A simple shunt will not, usually use common GND.

Regards,
Ole
olewsaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:59   #1001
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

Trying to connect a "MID wifi" display to openplotter. i successfully get the POS, COG and SOG, but cannot get the RNG/(dtw) or BRG/(btw). when i look at inspector there are no RMB output sentences--probably due to the fix that filters them out.. I tried to add a different output with no filter but do not know how to get the inspector to reveal that output. and it does not work either.

I had no luck getting the NKE display to link (a dot flashes but no data transfers), the mid wifi got closer. any ideas on how to get the range and bearing to waypoints from OP to a display? other displays that do work??

also, if i get the right actisense convertor will raymarine 183 data be available for display (such as awa, aws, depth)?

Many thanks in advance,
John
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:49   #1002
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

I am embarrassed to ask this question ... but here it goes:
I just installed ver 0.10 of OP (yes folks, a new version is out!). Everything went fine but I have no wifi connectivity (on a pi3 with built-in wifi).
I have been away from the pi for some months but don't recall ever having this issue before. As far as I remember, the wifi network was always recognized automatically.
I would appreciate a hint on how to get things going .....
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:18   #1003
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

After much screwing around I finally figured it out - Open Plotter had the wifi access point enabled by default thus making the pi3 wifi port unavailable to connect to the local network.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 23:18   #1004

Boat: Westerly Konsort Duo 9meter

So far, so good, but.....
After installing openplotter 0.10.0 alpha, it turned out that the status-bar add-on in Opencpn does not work correctly.After opening the setup menu for the satus-bar, nothing happend, no settings are accepted.
After closing this menu Opencpn crashes.
wad'nwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 08:52   #1005

Boat: Bavaria 40 Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPRyan View Post
I'd like to mount a monitor on my pedestal ... I'm looking for an IP65 or 66 touch screen resistive monitor ... has anyone found one
Here: Xenarc 1029CNH 10.1 Inch Capacitive Touch High Bright LED LCD Touch Screen Monitor
Barbaria is offline   Reply With Quote