Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 09:03   #301

Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
The system worked before updating? are you using v0.6.0beta3 updated with github repository?

Open a terminal and type:

Code:
python /home/pi/.config/openplotter/openplotter.py
this will open openplotter in debug mode, enable the SDR AIS reception and copy and paste here what the terminal says.
Started working on the openplotter.po file today, halfway through..

The output I get from the debugmode is this:
Code:
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Exact sample rate is: 1000000.026491 Hz
rtlsdr_demod_write_reg failed with -9
r82xx_write: i2c wr failed=-9 reg=0a len=1
rtlsdr_demod_read_reg failed with -9
r82xx_write: i2c wr failed=-9 reg=06 len=1
rtlsdr_demod_read_reg failed with -9
rtlsdr_write_reg failed with -9
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/waterfall.py", line 193, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/waterfall.py", line 186, in main
    wf.start()
  File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/waterfall.py", line 161, in start
    blit=blit)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/matplotlib/animation.py", line 1052, in __init__
    TimedAnimation.__init__(self, fig, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/matplotlib/animation.py", line 898, in __init__
    *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/matplotlib/animation.py", line 576, in __init__
    self._init_draw()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/matplotlib/animation.py", line 1077, in _init_draw
    self._draw_frame(next(self.new_frame_seq()))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/matplotlib/animation.py", line 1091, in _draw_frame
    self._drawn_artists = self._func(framedata, *self._args)
  File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/waterfall.py", line 138, in update
    samples = self.sdr.read_samples(NUM_SAMPLES_PER_SCAN)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyrtlsdr-0.1.1-py2.7.egg/rtlsdr/rtlsdr.py", line 333, in read_samples
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyrtlsdr-0.1.1-py2.7.egg/rtlsdr/rtlsdr.py", line 317, in read_bytes
IOError: Error code -9 when reading 32768 bytes
No supported devices found.
No supported devices found.
The last two lines are from clicks on the calibration buttons.

Also, when I start gpsd from CLI, it says Error: can't run with neither socket nor device, so that's a clear nono. Obviously, my gps-stick is faulty, although it lights up green on insertion.
skyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:13   #302

Hello,

This is a great project and I'd like to introduce an open source marine engine monitoring companion system. Integration should be quite easy since there is a Raspberry Pi that can speak all kinds of protocols. Version 1.0 is complete and functioning but is not networked. The POC for Version 2.0 is functioning but the UI is still in process. All the source code is open for others to contribute:
https://bitbucket.org/R_P_Ryan/engin...ki/Version_2_0
r_p_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:10   #303

I have published the new stable v0.6.0 release:

Download OpenPlotter RPI v0.6.0 pre-release | Sailoog

I have set a 7/24 torrent server (actually my old raspberry 1) so now there is an alternative to kimdotcom

Now working on documentation and v0.7.0

I am in a hurry now, let me some time to answer the last posts
Old 03-02-2016, 04:40   #304

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_p_ryan View Post
Hello,

This is a great project and I'd like to introduce an open source marine engine monitoring companion system. Integration should be quite easy since there is a Raspberry Pi that can speak all kinds of protocols. Version 1.0 is complete and functioning but is not networked. The POC for Version 2.0 is functioning but the UI is still in process. All the source code is open for others to contribute:
I don't know much about Arduino, but when I look at what you are proposing, at first glance it seems like it would be a lot simpler just to connect everything directly to the Pi.

Help me understand why the Arduino is necessary?

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 00:23   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier B View Post
Where can I find some info on the way to connect properly the temperature sensors and the float switch to the GPIO connector ?
Here a draft about switch GPIO connections:

https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot.../switches.html

and here temperature sensors (4.7R is enough):

Old 04-02-2016, 00:37   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhi View Post
Started working on the openplotter.po file today, halfway through..

The output I get from the debugmode is this:

The last two lines are from clicks on the calibration buttons.

Also, when I start gpsd from CLI, it says Error: can't run with neither socket nor device, so that's a clear nono. Obviously, my gps-stick is faulty, although it lights up green on insertion.
I am quite sure you have a power issue or defective hub. Are you supplying enough amp? your hub is a real hub? there are a lot of fakes in the market.

Try just the GPS connected to the hub or directly to the pi with no more connected devices. If your GPS dongle is the little white GLONASS/GPS one, wait for the green led to flash continuously, that means it has satellite connection (light up green on insertion is normal), try outdoors.

Same test with SDR.

I got the software Dutch translation, thanks!!!! I will implement into the next version. I will create a beta in order to see the translation in place to check all is right.

Thanks again!!!
Old 04-02-2016, 00:55   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_p_ryan View Post
Hello,

I love your project

OpenPlotter aims to manage all the sensors you are using and avoid arduino but your project is a perfect choice for those who want just a solution for their engine. OpenPlotter is also a Wifi access point, remote data source and a virtual instrument panel, so the integration of both projects should be not a problem. Instead of modify openplotter to interpret your data I think the best option is that your project generates some standard protocol and what better than Signal K.

Congratulations. I am following you.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:03   #308

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:

Sailoog
Dont you mean 4.7K Ohm and NOT 4R7 ie 4.7 Ohm ?
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:30   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
Sailoog
Dont you mean 4.7K Ohm and NOT 4R7 ie 4.7 Ohm ?
sorry, I mean 4.7K Ohm
Old 04-02-2016, 10:39   #310

Quote:
I am quite sure you have a power issue or defective hub. Are you supplying enough amp? your hub is a real hub? there are a lot of fakes in the market.
I guess you're right, my usb hub only has a one amp power supply, and if I wiggle the sticks, the lights come on (and off again). I'll start ransacking closets in the house to find a decent 2 or 3 amp usb hub with seven ports.

Let me know if I can help with the Big Book of OpenPlotter. I know there's a Dutch translation team for OpenCPN: OpenCPN 2015-1

Anyway, thanks for your help and patience so far, and I'll be checking back here to report progress!

Cheers!
Old 04-02-2016, 12:21   #311

Boat: Chantier duu Port Rézé les Nantes, Mopélia 2000
Thumbs up Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:

Hi,
I'm proudly using 0.6.0 RC now ! Congratulations Sailoog !

Of course I immediately wired a couple of DS18B20, but I have not found how to collect the value of more than one temperature sensor in the panel for 1Wire sensors ?

I have also noted the overclocking to 1000 MHz, or may be it is a fantasy of my so tiny touchpad (1.25"x1.25") . Is it OK or should I fold back to the standard clock (900 MHz).

I couldn't install neither Gnumeric nor Abyword, may be due to a source server unavailable ... I'll try again tomorrow...

Tomorrow program : the float switch...To follow : AIS, but I'm waiting for an adapter cord BNC/MCX (found a UHF/BNC easily).
Didier B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 23:55   #312

Boat: Chantier duu Port Rézé les Nantes, Mopélia 2000

(couldn't find a way to edit my previous post !)

Edit about installing : eventually, after a long update and a long long upgrade, I could install those applications, only needed to be very very very patient !
Didier B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:04   #313

Quote:
I guess you're right about the power issue, on my mac, the gps came up pretty quick, and through the usb-hub (with 1 amp power supply) it didn't. Wiggling the sticks makes them light up, sometimes. the hub reported hubs within hubs within hubs, and the finally the connected sticks. Cheap trash..

O well, I'll wait for the mailman to arrive with a new, decent, powered hub soon.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:52   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhi View Post
Let me know if I can help with the Big Book of OpenPlotter. I know there's a Dutch translation team for OpenCPN: OpenCPN 2015-1

Anyway, thanks for your help and patience so far, and I'll be checking back here to report progress!

Cheers!
Of course you can help!

I have create a development branch on github to test your Dutch translation in place. I have checked it and there is a problem with so long words that your language has and some buttons are too big and break down the layout.

Check by yourself, connect openplotter to internet, open a terminal and type:

Code:
cd 
cd .config 
rm -rf openplotter/ 
git clone -b dev https://github.com/sailoog/openplotter.git
Be advised that will delete your current conf (if you want save your configuration make a copy of openplotter.conf file). To come back to the stable version type:

Code:
cd 
cd .config 
rm -rf openplotter/ 
git clone https://github.com/sailoog/openplotter.git
Try to fit these so long words into the layout and if is not possible to abbreviate them we will find a solution.

If you want to help with documentation translation sign up an user on https://www.gitbook.com/ and tell me who you are to grant edition permissions to you. Once the first phase of documentation is done I will write the instructions to the translator team to coordinate.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2016, 03:01   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier B View Post
Hi,
I'm proudly using 0.6.0 RC now ! Congratulations Sailoog !

Of course I immediately wired a couple of DS18B20, but I have not found how to collect the value of more than one temperature sensor in the panel for 1Wire sensors ?

I have also noted the overclocking to 1000 MHz, or may be it is a fantasy of my so tiny touchpad (1.25"x1.25") . Is it OK or should I fold back to the standard clock (900 MHz).

I couldn't install neither Gnumeric nor Abyword, may be due to a source server unavailable ... I'll try again tomorrow...

Tomorrow program : the float switch...To follow : AIS, but I'm waiting for an adapter cord BNC/MCX (found a UHF/BNC easily).
Sorry Didier, multiple DS18B20 sensors is not implemented yet but is the next task in the TO DO list.

There is no known problem with overclocking, you can keep it an report if you find some issue.

Let me know about your switch testing please