Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-11-2016, 05:01   #901

Boat: Maxi 999
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Haven't heard of any limitations on i2c sensors, I have 3 on the go so far. You can set up an action in openplotter to pass the data onto a separate bash or python or whatever script so only openplotter is talking to the ds18 sensors.
I use a little bash script to save all the nmea data to some rddtools databases the a php web page to look at it..

Interesting. Would you mind sharing your script and how you did your setup?
ottow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 05:04   #902
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Thanks for the tip I must go and research rddtools.

Would you care to elaborate on how you are doing this and perhaps share some scripts please?
No probs, I'll collate some stuff later. In the meantime here's a Norwegian site which might give some idea of what's possible.

openplotter | Tiarora
Rddtools is great, well worth a title effort to set up. Now I just turn on the pi and it records everything automatically. I've just started looking at node-red which is well worth a look as well, it should be another way of sending stuff to rddtools in addition to easily making dashboards to look at the data.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 05:34   #903

Boat: Maxi 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
No probs, I'll collate some stuff later. In the meantime here's a Norwegian site which might give some idea of what's possible.

openplotter | Tiarora
Rddtools is great, well worth a title effort to set up. Now I just turn on the pi and it records everything automatically. I've just started looking at node-red which is well worth a look as well, it should be another way of sending stuff to rddtools in addition to easily making dashboards to look at the data.
Awesome, thanks!
That site looks interesting, happily I am Swedish so Norwegian is not a problem for me.
ottow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 06:06   #904

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottow View Post
Awesome, thanks!
That site looks interesting, happily I am Swedish so Norwegian is not a problem for me.
Being a southern hemisphere dweller I've never had much use for Norsk but I can look at the pictures thanks.

Up until now, on my windows Nettop, I have been running GPSGate and logging everything of NMEA and then using R to analyse stuff. However my RPi 3 plotter is coming together now and this is the way that I intend to log my data. Other than NMEA I intend to add some temperature sensors for environmental modelling (my partner is an ecologist and likes to analyse the water temperature, air temperature, wind, sunshine etc.) and as I'm and engineer am more interested in engine and exhaust temperature, battery status, how well the solar panels are performing and such like - this tool kills two birds with one stone.

What is everybody using for memory to store data on?
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 06:36   #905
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Being a southern hemisphere dweller I've never had much use for Norsk but I can look at the pictures thanks.

Up until now, on my windows Nettop, I have been running GPSGate and logging everything of NMEA and then using R to analyse stuff. However my RPi 3 plotter is coming together now and this is the way that I intend to log my data. Other than NMEA I intend to add some temperature sensors for environmental modelling (my partner is an ecologist and likes to analyse the water temperature, air temperature, wind, sunshine etc.) and as I'm and engineer am more interested in engine and exhaust temperature, battery status, how well the solar panels are performing and such like - this tool kills two birds with one stone.

What is everybody using for memory to store data on?

I have thermometers on head block, exhaust and alternator so far, those ds18 sensors are great as you can just daisy chain them together. Battery voltage & current to follow. For storage I just upload the RRDtools data base onto google drive when there's wifi, good thing about rrdtools is it loops around so you can always have, say , a months worth a data and the file size never changes.
One day I'll have a play with google charts as a way to look at it all, rrdtools can export as a JSON. And also have a look at using an arduino to measure and store temporarily the data so the Pi doesn't need to be on all the time, living on the hook every milliamp counts!
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 15:46   #906

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

THANKS EVERYBODY!!!! i took an old Toshiba laptop. reinstalled winduds XP with service pack 3 and loaded open cpn and it found charts for me and i downloaded them. i tried both raster and vector charts. works great! thanks a million for doing this for me! this old laptop will be an ivory tower for navigation!
blessings
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 06:10   #907

Boat: Cartwright 44

I'm looking for some direction...

I have a Pi3B running Openplotter V8 and I have the Adafruit Ultimate GPS hat connected to the Pi with the USB to TTL Serial Cable.

I have gone through the process on their site to make the GPS work, after entering cgps -s into the console I get the GPS fix that I'm hoping to see.

I'm looking for guidance to make it work from here with Openplotter.

I'm sure that there is a guide out there that is relevant for this combination...

Mika
Mika F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 07:32   #908
Marine Service Provider

CGPS is a test client for GPSD. When you get a fix, it means that the GPS is working and that you can connect to GPSD. To get it working in openplotter, first be sure that you forst quit CGPS.

Go to openplotter and add a input connection using network and GPSD with port 2947

That should be it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika F View Post
I'm looking for some direction...

I have a Pi3B running Openplotter V8 and I have the Adafruit Ultimate GPS hat connected to the Pi with the USB to TTL Serial Cable.

I have gone through the process on their site to make the GPS work, after entering cgps -s into the console I get the GPS fix that I'm hoping to see.

I'm looking for guidance to make it work from here with Openplotter.

I'm sure that there is a guide out there that is relevant for this combination...

Mika
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 14:27   #909
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

I am trying to connect my pi3 with my boat systems. I have a Raymarine C80 chartplotter that takes all the instrument data and blurbs it out its single NMEA 0183 port.
The single NMEA 0183 port, on it's receiving end, is receiving AIS data and transmitting all instrument data through the transmitting portion of it's single port but it does not seem to re-transmit the AIS data that is coming in on the receiving end of the NMEA 0183 port.
Question one: has anybody been able to get AIS data that is first routed to a C80 to be displayed on a pi? I am using a NMEA 0183 to USB adapter and all instrument data is showing just fine but no AIS data is shown on OpenCPN.
Question number two: I would like to send autopilot instructions to the C80 but I only have the single NMEA 0183 port on the plotter with the input side of that port being used to feed AIS data to the plotter. Is there any way other than a NMEA 0183 multiplexer to send data to the C80 and what if any software is around to enable sending autopilot instructions ?
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 06:56   #910

Boat: IslandPacket Packet Cat 35

I have the C80 plotter as well.

In order to get it to work, I had to redirect all the AIS data to the Raspberry Pi first. I also reprogrammed the NMEA port on the C80 to 38400 baud. The C80 output feeds its data to the Raspberry Pi. Now, the Raspberry Pi running openplotter multiplexes (combines) the AIS data and all the data from the C80. Finally, the Raspberry Pi spits out all the data back into the C80, including the AIS.
This works great and shows the AIS data and all other info on the chartplotter as well as my other instruments over WiFi.

For the autopilot, I have not tried this. I would also be interested in knowing if this works. In theory, I should be able to send the commands to the Raspberry Pi and it will automatically send them to the C80. But, I am not convinced that the C80 will bridge them over to SeaTalk to control the autopilot. If you try it, please let me know. I would like to add that feature as well.

I'd be glad to share more about using the C80 with you. Just PM me.
ramalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 08:19   #911
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramalkin View Post
In order to get it to work, I had to redirect all the AIS data to the Raspberry Pi first.
Thank you !! What a wonderful 'outside the box' idea - I love it! It never occurred to me to go that route !

Re the autopilot - I haven't even figured out how to send anything to anything so I am completely green on that front. I am hoping to find some sort of program that allows me to send stuff out of the pi, something as simple as to duplicate the autopilot buttons so I can remote control the boat from the foredeck or whatever.
I am not at a level to easily program my own thing so if I can't find something already out there I will direct my efforts towards other stuff such as temperature sensing and one-wire.

Thanks again !!
Old 22-11-2016, 16:39   #912

Boat: Cartwright 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
CGPS is a test client for GPSD. When you get a fix, it means that the GPS is working and that you can connect to GPSD. To get it working in openplotter, first be sure that you forst quit CGPS.

Go to openplotter and add a input connection using network and GPSD with port 2947

That should be it.
Thanks.

I got the GPS to work, but with one catch.
When I re-boot, I need to re-start GPSD by entering in terminal;
  1. sudo killall gpsd
  2. sudo gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0 -F /var/run/gpsd.sock
I then hit reset in the NMEA 0183 tab and the GPS works again.

Can that be fixed?
Mika F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 20:54   #913
Jd1

I have tried to make OpenPlotter do something with the GPIO pins - alas, I seem to be missing some basic understanding on how to do anything
Is there a basic write-up anywhere that explains the Open Plotter "Action', 'Switches' and 'Outputs' tabs and how to do stuff with them ?

I put a 3 relay hat board on top of the pi3 and I am just trying to make OPenPlotter activate some of the relays. So far there is no purpose to any of this. I am trying to gain some basic understanding how things are supposed to go together.

One possible scenario I would like to understand would be to measure engine temperature (note that temperature sensing will come a bit later). When the temperature reaches a set point, one of the relays activates to start a circulation pump to circulate engine heat to the domestic hot water tank.

Anyway, I got to learn to walk before I can run so I would like to understand how to use GPIO pins to switch relays.
Old 25-11-2016, 04:26   #914

I'm trying to get my GPS to work. Working on adding a conection for it. But what "address" do I but in?
thx
D
addboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 05:35   #915

I moved on to down loading charts. I have down load charts from the chart downloader and they are not loading. I have the directory right and have scanned and forced full database rebuild and still now chats will load?
addboy is offline   Reply With Quote