Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 20:46   #676

Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
ooops! sorry is my fault, gammu and python-gammu are not pip packages.

Type:

Code:
sudo pip install pyudev 
sudo apt-get install gammu python-gammu

Thank you sailoog - now 0.8 is running!
Martin

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Alpenskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 21:38   #677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpenskipper View Post
I have a problem installing 0.8, because gammu/pyudev doesn#t install (see below). Internet connection is ok.
Any suggestions?

Martin

pi@openplotter:~ $ sudo pip install pyudev gammu python-gammu
Downloading/unpacking pyudev
Downloading pyudev-0.19.0.tar.gz (96kB): 96kB downloaded
Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip-build-sRcNiE/pyudev/setup.py) egg_info for package pyudev

Downloading/unpacking gammu
Could not find any downloads that satisfy the requirement gammu
Cleaning up...
No distributions at all found for gammu
Storing debug log for failure in /root/.pip/pip.log
pi@openplotter:~ $
Thanks @sailoog

Type:

Code:
sudo pip install pyudev
sudo apt-get install gammu python-gammu

did solve the problem. Pls dont forget to udate also instructions on download site.

great support thanks again!
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 21:44   #678

Quote:
Thats possible, can one force the internal WLAN to a/b/g mode without n?
Martin

I did another test with 0.8 and WLAN sharing with the Pi3.

Initially wifi sharing runs fine "right out of the box". The internal wlan0 is the AP, the wifi dongle connects to the marina hotspot. When I don' use the wifi, the connection lasts for hours.

But as soon as I use the wifi, the internal AP disappears after a few minutes and does not show up again. A reboot solves the problem.
???
Martin

Old 29-03-2016, 02:01   #679

Re: OpenPlotter project and AIS

Hi Sailoog

I have updated to a RPi3 and the 0.7.1 version. The AIS seemed to semi work so I checked it with SDRsharp and works beautifully on SDR#. However, I do not seem to be able to get it to work in OpenPlotter. I checked the look now button and can see the data but no nmea strings are created. I did calibrate the dongle on both OP and SDR#. Also, the look now window seems to freeze up regularly. All my other NMEA strings (GPS, IMU) work very well. Not sure what I have done wrong as it worked very well on my RPi 2 and 0.6.0 version, please help and many thanks, Richard
richarddaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 12:54   #680

Quote:
I did another test with 0.8 and WLAN sharing with the Pi3.

Initially wifi sharing runs fine "right out of the box". The internal wlan0 is the AP, the wifi dongle connects to the marina hotspot. When I don' use the wifi, the connection lasts for hours.

But as soon as I use the wifi, the internal AP disappears after a few minutes and does not show up again. A reboot solves the problem.
???
Martin

Next Tests:

AP with internal wlan0, wlan1 dongle in USB port, but not connected to hotspot - stable

AP with internal wlan0, wlan1 dongle connected to hotspot, surfing within the Pi3 over vnc - stable

AP with internal wlan0, wlan1 dongle connected to hotspot, sharing the hotspot, surfing with iPad - unstable, AP disappears nearly at once

For me, the problem occurs, when the connection is routed from the hotspot (wlan1 dongle) to the internal wlan0 (AP).

Does anyone have this problem, too?

Martin

Old 29-03-2016, 13:39   #681
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:

AP with internal wlan0, wlan1 dongle connected to hotspot, sharing the hotspot, surfing with iPad - unstable, AP disappears nearly at once

For me, the problem occurs, when the connection is routed from the hotspot (wlan1 dongle) to the internal wlan0 (AP).

Does anyone have this problem, too?

Martin

See here.. (maybe a better place to report problems?)

Wifi AP drops out

As it's an intermittent problem it's hard to pin down but it does seem to only drop out when using an android tablet surfing the web, win7 laptop will be online all day through openplotter with no probs.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 21:34   #682

@conachair:

Sorry, I don't want to disturb this thread, but I thought, that this wifi problem concerns most openplotter users to, may be it is even openplotter specific.

I know wifi is not a core feature of openplotter, but a very useful one.

Maybe this problem draws more interest here, when more people have a Pi3 and are on their boats and want to share marina hotspots.

Martin
Old 30-03-2016, 02:34   #683

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddaneel View Post
Hi Sailoog

I have updated to a RPi3 and the 0.7.1 version. The AIS seemed to semi work so I checked it with SDRsharp and works beautifully on SDR#. However, I do not seem to be able to get it to work in OpenPlotter. I checked the look now button and can see the data but no nmea strings are created. I did calibrate the dongle on both OP and SDR#. Also, the look now window seems to freeze up regularly. All my other NMEA strings (GPS, IMU) work very well. Not sure what I have done wrong as it worked very well on my RPi 2 and 0.6.0 version, please help and many thanks, Richard
It seems a power issue. Disconnect all devices, connect just the SDR dongle to an auto-powered USB hub and try again.
Old 30-03-2016, 02:46   #684

Quote:
@conachair:

Sorry, I don't want to disturb this thread, but I thought, that this wifi problem concerns most openplotter users to, may be it is even openplotter specific.

I know wifi is not a core feature of openplotter, but a very useful one.

Maybe this problem draws more interest here, when more people have a Pi3 and are on their boats and want to share marina hotspots.

Martin
Don't worry I think we will be able to fix this but since I can't reproduce the error on my system that are you suffering, I need to gather all your info, find out a pattern and isolate the problem. We will do it on openmarine forum because it will be easier to find the solution there for people with the same issue. If we do it here, next week someone will ask for that again.

http://forum.openmarine.net wants to be the support site for openplotter project, not only for openmarine cloud discussion.
Old 30-03-2016, 03:47   #685

Quote:
Don't worry I think we will be able to fix this but since I can't reproduce the error on my system that are you suffering, I need to gather all your info, find out a pattern and isolate the problem. We will do it on openmarine forum because it will be easier to find the solution there for people with the same issue. If we do it here, next week someone will ask for that again.

OpenMarine wants to be the support site for openplotter project, not only for openmarine cloud discussion.
OK, I posted the wifi issues here: Wifi AP drops out
Old 30-03-2016, 05:34   #686

Quote:
It seems a power issue. Disconnect all devices, connect just the SDR dongle to an auto-powered USB hub and try again.
Many thanks for the reply. I tried that but I am not sure if I must also remove the red and black wires from the usb cable between the hub and Rpi otherwise it will reverse power the Pi as well. Sorry another question regarding my GPS, when I go sudo cat /dev/ttyS0 I can see the data flowing very well but when I go to OP and configure it as a serial ttyS0 I do not get the nmea data flowing. Do you think this is all power related?

thx
richarddaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:46   #687

Boat: Formosa 41

Hi guys,
I have a real newbie question.
I have a Pi 2 with the latest version of the software, but I have a problem with my screen.
I have a 7in Makibes LCD screen, but when I boot up openplotter it uses 3/4 of the width of the screen. I have tried various setting in config.txt, and I also have other Pi images which I have managed to use the full screen.

Any ideas or suggestion?

Thanks in advance.
Nick_Currawong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 00:51   #688

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Currawong View Post
Hi guys,
I have a real newbie question.
I have a Pi 2 with the latest version of the software, but I have a problem with my screen.
I have a 7in Makibes LCD screen, but when I boot up openplotter it uses 3/4 of the width of the screen. I have tried various setting in config.txt, and I also have other Pi images which I have managed to use the full screen.

Any ideas or suggestion?

Thanks in advance.
What is your screen resolution & refresh rate?
I think you need to set HDMI_mode in config.txt
see http://elinux.org/RPiconfig
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:58   #689

Boat: Formosa 41

Thanks Affinite,

Reading the link and setting the hdmi_mode has resolved my issue.

On to getting everything connected and working.

Thanks again
Nick_Currawong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:30   #690

Quote:
Many thanks for the reply. I tried that but I am not sure if I must also remove the red and black wires from the usb cable between the hub and Rpi otherwise it will reverse power the Pi as well.
If I'm not wrong backpowering is no longer a problem with latest Raspberries because they are protected.

Quote:
Sorry another question regarding my GPS, when I go sudo cat /dev/ttyS0 I can see the data flowing very well but when I go to OP and configure it as a serial ttyS0 I do not get the nmea data flowing. Do you think this is all power related?

thx
I don't think that is power related. What kind of GPS do you have? Do you set the baud rate properly?