Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-11-2017, 08:15   #1

Boat: Bayfield 36 Cutter
Need advice to set up a boat WAN (or LAN)

Hello everyone,
I am planning (more like dreaming yet) to put together a network to integrate chartplotter, radar, instruments, computers/tablets/phones, a 24” LED monitor with wifi connectivity.

My goals are to use data interchangeably in all (applicable) devices for redundancy + ability to cast on big screen.

Device inventory will be as follows;
- Raymarine C80 w RD218 2KW Radar
- Raymarine i50 instrument set (Depth/Speed/Wind)
- Raymarine SmartPilot X5 Wheel Pilot (integration would be nice but not crucial)
- Rapsberry Pi 3 (dedicated navigation & monitoring computer via Open_CPN with stand-alone gps)
- AIS Transponder Matsutec or Vesper or Digital Yacht (still researching- suggestions most welcome)
- Bitstorm BadBoy w Unleashed N
- 2x Windows 10 notebooks (one will have same Open_CPN setup as backup)
- 2x Android tablets
- 3x Android smartphones
- 24” LED Screen + Google Chromecast for wifi connectivity (any other suggestions most welcome)

My questions are
- Does it practical and/or efficient to try to integrate all. ANd is this the best way to do it.
- Do I need to set up a WAN for interconnecting all (via a wireless router I guess) or wired network is a better idea
- Would system operate properly without internet connection
- Do I need and NMEA 2000 to WiFi (or LAN) converter? (Follow up q – what would be the most cost-efficient device... I prefer NOT to buy $500 DY server)
- Can I feed AIS Data to C80 as well… In other words... How I can feed AIS data to both the computer and C80 simultaneously.

Many thanks in advance to all.

Considerations:
- Raymarine C80+Instruments+AP are installed in the cockpit – Radar Antenna is on the mast. Computer, AIS and Screen will be on the nav station.
- I consider myself as a savvy user but not an IT Pro. I can understand concepts, can make proper installations and type in previously written code. Cannot write nor alter the code.
- I wouldn’t mind running wires if necessary (and/or more reliable and efficient)
Tafa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat