Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2022, 13:59   #1

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Mounting radome -- and Scan Strut

So as noted in another post, we have destroyed our radar arch. Ouch! Since we have to buy a new one, this is the opportunity to consider any tweaks to the accessories.

We have a radar mounted on a post with a Scan Strut self leveling platform. Works wonderfully. However, with the information our Victron solar controllers give, I see that the shadow from the radome significantly impacts the output of my port solar panel. Perhaps it should move?

The only other obvious location is the front of the mast. Our jib is a 95% self-tacker, so it has very little opportunity to drag across the radar.

I am thinking about mounting it just below the lower spreaders, as I see little advantage in the range enhancement of mounting higher up. I rarely set my range above 2 miles, as the closer range improves close in detail.

But my question is the Scan Strut. Even though the jib should not beat on it much, it is not a rigid mount. Does a Scan Strut work as well on a mast as it does on an arch?
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 16:25   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36
Re: Mounting radome -- and Scan Strut

How would you mount the scanstrust self leveling mount on the mast ? It’s designed to be supported by the backstay isn’t it ? On the mast the radars are almost always on a “shelf”.

But maybe I’m missing something.

Sorry about your troubles , it was gut wrenching to read about your incident. I hope the insurance claim goes well. If you don’t mind sharing (and yes, off topic) what happened to the engine ?
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 05:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWSalmon View Post
How would you mount the scanstrust self leveling mount on the mast ? It’s designed to be supported by the backstay isn’t it ? On the mast the radars are almost always on a “shelf”.

But maybe I’m missing something.

Sorry about your troubles , it was gut wrenching to read about your incident. I hope the insurance claim goes well. If you don’t mind sharing (and yes, off topic) what happened to the engine ?
I've added more details on the incident on that post. It was a fuel issue.

My Scan Strut is not designed to mount to the backstay. It mounts directly to a post for the radar. The four mounting pads are fully flexible and could mount to the front edge of a mast just as well. A picture attached. Note, the post was originally vertical.

I guess the real question is, given the potential of issues on the front of the mast, are the benefits of the Scan Strut outweighed by the risks? Or am I completely overstating the risks. Remember, my jib is a 95%, so not much drag across the unit during tacks. (Full disclosure, my jib isn't really a 95%. It is a Solent rig, and the inside sail is 95%. The outside sail is a 150, but cannot tack through the fore triangle because of the inside stay.)Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220721_122554145.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	261326
Old 21-07-2022, 07:43   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
...I guess the real question is, given the potential of issues on the front of the mast, are the benefits of the Scan Strut outweighed by the risks? Or am I completely overstating the risks. Remember, my jib is a 95%, so not much drag across the unit during tacks...
I would want to be sure that if the leech of the 95% jib can hit the radome then the installation must be bullet proof strong. It is not the drag of cloth over the radar, it is the impact of the leech hitting it that can do damage.

We sailed on a bigger boat where, while tacking in 20 knots of wind, the 100% jib tore the radome completely off the mast. It was hanging by the wires.

On our own boat the #3 jib hits the deck light fixture on the front of the mast and one day, in a strong breeze, knocked it clear off the boat.

Do not underestimate the strength of the impact of the leech of a jib when tacking.
Old 21-07-2022, 14:08   #5

Wings, very good feedback. Thank you.