Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2017, 06:31   #16

Re: Leave instruments always on or turn off when not in use?

The problem with working life of electronic devices are not the semiconductors but the capacitors. And these age quickly with higher temps and long usage.

So I do think that leaving the electronics on would reduce the working life significantly.

So if not in use, I turn it off. Especially since none of these seem to work without some little power/function/******** LED lighting up the night, especially when they need to blink to indicate all is fine.
Axel_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 07:11   #17

I really don't think it matters with modern electronics from our experience. Nor do we dismount them. I have a Garmin chart plotter that has been on my center console and exposed to the elements for over fifteen years and still works as good as the day it came out of the box.
Old 19-10-2017, 07:45   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The thermal cycling of electronics is not as much of a problem as it used to be. Turn them off, preserve your batteries.

Electro-mechanical items?...turn them off for sure.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 08:12   #19

I shut down everything at night except for the anchor light, cabin lights, water pressure, and the bilge pump to conserve batts. Takes 1 second to turn on the autopilot, instruments, and MFD as I walk out the companionway.
Old 19-10-2017, 09:03   #20

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
I shut down everything at night except for the anchor light, cabin lights, water pressure, and the bilge pump to conserve batts. Takes 1 second to turn on the autopilot, instruments, and MFD as I walk out the companionway.
Have to disagree about the water pressure if I correctly understand what you are talking about. Not so much a worry about power usage but if anything in the water system springs a leak you may wind up pumping your entire water tank into the bilge. I tend to turn off the water pump unless I am doing dishes or something else that uses water.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 09:15   #21

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

My philosophy is that if I don't need it I turn it off. If at anchor in an unfamiliar location I might leave the plotter on with alarm set.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 09:54   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Completely anecdotal... but I beleive our lighting strike was partially due to leaving our instruments on at anchor.. but again, I have no data to back it up other than we were the only boat struck and the only one with instruments on (out of over 40 in the anchorage).
Instruments off or on do not make any difference with regard to lightning strike. Lightning comes from the top down AND from the bottom up. The top down thing is done by the thunderstorm and we can do nothing about this. From the bottom up is the positive streamer. The object is reaching out to the lighting. read https://science.howstuffworks.com/na...lightning4.htm
or look at the beautiful youtube video . Here you clearly see the streamer going up. Now you can certainly do something to NOT produce a positive streamer. First make sure your mast is connected properly with the water. Aluminium or steel boats is easy other boats need some work. Second make sure there are no pointy parts up there. Windex and VHF antennas and such need a round top. A sharp point increases the Voltage and is more likely to generate an upward streamer than a nicely rounded top. Oh yes DO NOT USE AN UMBRELLA DURING A THUNDERSTORM. With a rough machined tip you might hold a beautiful item to generate an upward streamer.
frankmulder217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 10:43   #23

Boat: Beneteau, 41ft monohul

Just an FYI, you should not have radar on in a harbour. If you do you are radiating everyone around you with unnecessary radiation.

If you think that is insignificant I challenge you to stand in front of your radar antenna for a while every day.
Bourne Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 11:04   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanneau 45.2 View Post
I have Raymarine ST 60 auto pilot, wind and tri-log networked instruments. Which causes less 'wear and tear' on the instruments, turn them off at anchor (where they are not needed) or leave them on 24x7? I can see both points of view: the shock of on/off/on is bad versus they have a defined life span until mean failure. What do you recommend?
I don't believe it makes a difference. If the electronics haven't failed shortly after install it is unlikely they will, one way or the other.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 11:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Have to disagree about the water pressure if I correctly understand what you are talking about. Not so much a worry about power usage but if anything in the water system springs a leak you may wind up pumping your entire water tank into the bilge. I tend to turn off the water pump unless I am doing dishes or something else that uses water.
Valid point. Although I think I'd hear a fresh water leak sleeping on my boat - and if I didn't hear the leak itself, I'd keep hearing the bilge pump and fresh water pressure pump turn on. I just am in the habit of leaving it on when I'm aboard because the pump sometimes has to run for a few seconds to pressurize the system when it's been off for several hours. It's always off if I step off the boat.
Old 19-10-2017, 11:53   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Free View Post
Just an FYI, you should not have radar on in a harbour. If you do you are radiating everyone around you with unnecessary radiation.

If you think that is insignificant I challenge you to stand in front of your radar antenna for a while every day.

Depends on distance from antenna and output.
My B&G has lower RF than a cell phone. However even a regular consumer marine Radar once you get even a few feet away the radiation diminishes rapidly.
Then you have to consider the power they draw, if it’s only a very small amount of power, your not going to have a significant radiation hazard, that takes power, lots of power.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 12:02   #27

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel_G View Post
The problem with working life of electronic devices are not the semiconductors but the capacitors. And these age quickly with higher temps and long usage.

So I do think that leaving the electronics on would reduce the working life significantly.

So if not in use, I turn it off. Especially since none of these seem to work without some little power/function/******** LED lighting up the night, especially when they need to blink to indicate all is fine.
^^^This

I repair electronics professionally. The capacitors are usually the weak link and they live much longer when powered down.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 15:20   #28

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

In another life I worked in the telecom industry in a climate quite damp--and all electronic equipment was never switched off. The reasons for the death of equipment is usually component ageing--and moisture ingress corrosion in tiny amounts is the main cause of much of it and water-catalysed corrosion and oxidation is just another part of that problem. It kills resistors and capacitors.

By leaving the equipment on--and that was everything, the power loss was minimal in comparison with the costs of diagnosing and making repairs and replacements.

The marine environment is extremely damp, when at sea especially so. Most marine equipment printed circuits and accessible static components are sprayed over with a waterproof sealer. Even so, I still left mine on standby and had no problems with any of it except for the water-speed rotating sensors, which simply wore out over time because the tidal and river flows when at anchor or moored to a marina wore them out. None of the radios or other stuff left on standby failed.

But then--it may not have failed anyway.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 15:24   #29

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Grateful View Post
With current Raymarine, there is a "sleep" power option which leaves plotter display off, but otherwise ready to go at a moment's notice.

Power radar down, choose the power options "power save," and the screen goes blank. Hit the power button, and the screen pops up with wind & depth immediately available.
I'm grateful you made that point, Grateful. "Instrument with sleep mode" is going on my checklist of considerations when buying.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 16:17   #30

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
My philosophy is that if I don't need it I turn it off. If at anchor in an unfamiliar location I might leave the plotter on with alarm set.
I'm with you Dave. I usually turn everything off even at anchor (except the anchor light, of course) unless it looks ugly out and there is a chance of dragging anchor.
My pet peeve is folks leaving their AIS on while docked. I have no real problem with them leaving it on at anchor, but what purpose could there be for leaving it on while in the marina?

Al, S/V Finlandia

Tags
men, rum