Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 08:00   #1

Boat: Bavaria 33
Water pump will not turn off

Hi, I have a Bavaria 33 2014 fitted with a Jabsco 2.9 and all has been running smoothly. Until recently, when I turn off the tap the pump starts and stops intermittently unless I isolate at the panel. I have searched for and cannot find any leaks in the system.
I have searched previous threads but cannot find anything related to my problem
Any ideas?
Many thanks for reading.
Ray Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:04   #2

Re: Water pump will not turn off

sounds like the pressure switch on the pump is no longer working.
delmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:07   #3

Thanks for that. Can I assume that they are easy to replace?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:15   #4

Boat: CS 33

If you ran the tank dry before filling there may be an air bubble in the system. Try bleeding the line at the pump. I get this sometimes at my whole house carbon filter. Fortunately it has a bleed valve. Good luck
PDScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:19   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Is it this pump
https://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/pu...olled-pump.htm

Another likely cause is the internal valves are no longer sealing.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:19   #6

Very simple. This pump is a diaphragm pump. The little flaps on the diaphragm are no longer sealing completely because there is a tiny spec of dirt on one of them, or they are simply worn out. Water leaks back into the supply side of the pump thereby reducing pressure in the delivery side of the pump, and the built-in pressure-sentitive switch will start the pump. That raises the pressure on the delivery side where the switch is, and the pump turns off again. An so on ad infinitum, ad infinitum, ad...

Just strip it down and clean/replace the diaphragm. Every sailor relying on electric conveniences of every kind needs to learn to do these sorts of maintenance jobs - and have spares on hand - because these sorts of devices meant for the "hobby" market are intrinsically unreliable.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:21   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Ray, if you have already been running the taps i would have guessed that any airlock would already have been expelled but try running a bit more.

If that does not fix it it sounds to me that your pressure accumulating cylinder no longer has any air in it. there is an upper bladder in the chamber which must have air in it and this is what gets compressed when the pump runs so that it will have accumulated some pressure for the next few uses of the tap. If there is no air in it (or the bladder is broken) the pump will cycle on/off because it cannot accumulate any pressure. Solution is to get out a bicycle pump and you will find a valve on the top of the cylinder. Pump it many times and then try your taps again. Let us know if this fixes it.

I do not think it is the low pressure cut-off in the pump since the pump does cut out. Saves you having to strip and dismantle the pump.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:45   #8

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Just had this problem. I have transparent hoses and could see the air bubbles. The culprit in my case was that when the new accumulator was installed, one of the hoses was fitted over a threaded port without putting teflon tape on the threads. Do you have transparent hoses so you could see the air bubbles if the system was sucking air through a pinhole? When I had this issue, there was no leak, but the system would suck air in through the threads, and the water pump would run and run, but there very little to no pressure.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:04   #9

Boat: Valiant 32

Hi Ray.
Pretty sure that Baveria run a drain pipe from the hot water cylinder pressure relief valve back to the supply line that feeds the water pump. If the relief valve starts leaking it makes it look like the pump is faulty as there are no visible leaks. Cycling the relief valve a few times often cures it as it may have a bit Calc holding the seat open. Probably has a little red knob, just turn it round a few times.
Simon
Qayaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:29   #10

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

In addition to the electric pump I have a hand pump also on my fresh water, it often takes a few pumps with that to clear the line and get the electric pump to stop cycling.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:43   #11

I had the same issue. Turned out to be a compressed o-ring on the small filter that is on the inlet to the pump. As it is on the suction side of the pump, there is no water leak, but because air was getting in past the seal, the pump would not create enough pressure to shut off automatically. Try a piece of electrical tape around the edge of the clear plastic cover on this filter to seal it up and see if it solves the problem. I have not been able to find a source for replacement o-rings, which is beyond frustrating, but instead bought a replacement filter and used the o-ring from the kit.........problem solved.
rms95835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 13:49   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

When you have a pump that cycles on and off, and can't find any leaks, it's almost always bad or dirty valves. They allow water to leak back from the pressure side to the supply side. Open the pump and check the valves. Clean or replace as needed.
Old 05-03-2017, 16:46   #13

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I have a related problem; pump cycles for 10-30nsec , cuts off and repeats 15 min later. Pretty obvious it is a leak. Being a tad lazy, I have adapted by shutting off the pump when not using water in the galley. My plan is create a hose block by placing an clamping a block in a short piece of water line. Then I will do a systematic search for the leak starting with closing off the pump outflow, next all hot water, etc. PITA but I'm not smart enough to think of an easier way. Brilliant ideas most welcome.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 17:37   #14

Boat: GibSea 472

In general, this problem points to a leak somewhere in in your water system. I had this trouble before and after much searching id discovered that my deck shower fawcet was leaking just a bit.. Easy to fix...
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Is it this pump
https://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/pu...olled-pump.htm

Another likely cause is the internal valves are no longer sealing.

Hi Nigel, yes it is this one.

Tags
water