Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2022, 11:02   #16

Boat: Trawler
Re: Internet at sea, now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
ATM, Starlink isn't available at sea (AFAIK), at least not past 12 nm offshore.
Yep! Check the service areas , but still expanding. Not world wide yet. Good for Ukraine though.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2D4976AF-44F9-4B66-AA09-80C4A661E4D6.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	258311  
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 17:04   #17

Boat: Young 42

From 2003 until 2015, I lived and cruised on my sailboat. I circumnavigated the globe from NZ westbound back to NZ. While at sea, and in most anchorages, I never had internet. If I wanted to go online, I had to go ashore, where service was usually available somewhere. I didn't miss it at all. I had sailmail and winlink through my SSB radio, so I was in email contact with anyone I wanted to be in touch with, and could download weather faxes and GRIB files.

I sold my boat a few years ago, and living on land now, I spend a lot of time on the internet. It definitely didn't improve my life.
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 18:07   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipcho View Post
From 2003 until 2015, I lived and cruised on my sailboat. I circumnavigated the globe from NZ westbound back to NZ. While at sea, and in most anchorages, I never had internet. If I wanted to go online, I had to go ashore, where service was usually available somewhere. I didn't miss it at all. I had sailmail and winlink through my SSB radio, so I was in email contact with anyone I wanted to be in touch with, and could download weather faxes and GRIB files.

I sold my boat a few years ago, and living on land now, I spend a lot of time on the internet. It definitely didn't improve my life.
Everyone's situation is different. Many people's livelihood depends on a decent internet connection, and their only choice is to stay home if you would have to go ashore to access the internet while cruising. The availability of internet anywhere in the world really opens up possibilities that simply didn't exist for these folks before.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 22:26   #19

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

For me personally sailing is something I do to get away from contact not something to do as if I were sitting in a recliner at home
YMMV
Old 24-05-2022, 22:45   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Getting away from the internet is like getting away from air ! , these days everything is done online. No doubt if cheap ocean connectivity becomes available , it’s will be snapped up
Old 24-05-2022, 23:08   #21

Boat: Alajuela 33

There is nothing saying that if a service, that has obvious benefits for multiple people, is available it’s something that you must utilize.
The same is true on land and in everyday life as well.
There’s no law saying you have to answer the phone. A person can choose not to “get online”.
In today’s world it greatly simplifies many things and opens up possibilities that were not previously there.
Nobody is saying that one must sign on, but it’s difficult to deny it’s a boon for many.
japawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 23:13   #22
Nearly an old salt

I manage my money completely through internet banking , I monitor my house while I’m away ( and my boat ) over the internet , given a reasonable cost option i, would like many I suspect sign up. To me fast internet on board at < $80 a month would be acceptable.
Old 25-05-2022, 01:02   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Everyone's situation is different. Many people's livelihood depends on a decent internet connection, and their only choice is to stay home if you would have to go ashore to access the internet while cruising. The availability of internet anywhere in the world really opens up possibilities that simply didn't exist for these folks before.
Indeed.
As Oscar Wilde said:
“Work Is the Curse of the Cruising Drinking Classes.”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 01:57   #24

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Works fine on my Ketch I have mounted it on the davits so mast shadow is very small.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 02:53   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishzine View Post
I look forward to the day I can stream Netflix from the middle of an ocean...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jipcho View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
For me personally sailing is something I do to get away from contact not something to do as if I were sitting in a recliner at home
YMMV
Guess I'm in the minority; I thought we went to sea to get away from all of the Internet crap...
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 02:59   #26
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Guess I'm in the minority; I thought we went to sea to get away from all of the Internet crap...
LittleWing77

Going to sea to escape the world is a rather futile undertaking
Old 25-05-2022, 03:01   #27

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
LittleWing77
Without the web many of us could not life on a boat and run a business in parallel.

Lucky are those of us who do not need to juggle working life and cruising but can focus solely on cruising..
Old 25-05-2022, 03:03   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
LittleWing77
I am not sure some old bloke on a MAB (manky auld boat) is their target.

More likely the cruise ships and airline passengers who are bored after 10 minutes of blue seas and want the next instant fix.

Me? I am quite happy feeding the ducks in Dartmouth
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 03:25   #29
Nearly an old salt

Given I have about 30 mb/s via 4G if I could get this at sea for similar money or a bit more that would be great
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1653474334.167169.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	258353
Old 25-05-2022, 07:37   #30

One wonders why so many people who are so sure that they don't need/want internet at sea are feeling the need to come onto the internet to comment on a thread about how to get internet at sea?

For those fortunate enough to be retired or have another means of support that doesn't require the internet that allows them to cruise, and who don't want to use the internet while cruising.... great for you! But it's really kind of a "let them eat cake" response though, to tell those who aren't that fortunate about how cruising is to get away from the internet or how they don't feel any need for it personally. Please just count your blessings to yourself, no need to lord it over those less fortunate than you.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet