Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 14:18   #16

Boat: Riva 48
Re: Instruments, start from scratch?

Try to avoid mixing NMEA 2000 with the old SeaTalk stuff. While the C80 does support some NMEA 2000 inputs, it is buggy. Further, you can’t connect another display to it because it gets confused who is the Master display. Best bet is like what Raymarine said: replace the wind transducer and make sure the contacts are clean. This solves most problems and it is a no regret move, ie you have to do it anyway. If you continue to have problems, borrow a friend’s wind instrument to confirm your second point of failure. If so, replace the wind instrument (eBay is your friend).

Do integrate your instruments with the C80. You get a nice wind display arrow next to the boat and can configure multiple windows. Use the individual instruments as back up.

I did buy the NASA NMEA wind sensor by the way but I am not terribly happy with it. So, stay with Raymarine for the wind sensor. Depth and speed is super cheap.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 14:22   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I did the voltage test on the masthead sensor. Simplest test and pretty unequivocal. 7.9 volts across all circuits. It’s fried.

The question in my mind, is do I attempt a repair of the existing unit and keep it as a spare? I’ll buy the new unit, because of the age of the existing one, but the whole repair or not repair as a spare thing will be an interesting debate.
Old 08-11-2018, 14:31   #18

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Just replaced my ST60+ wind transducer, I believe it was $379 US. I hate Raymarine user manuals, calibrating the dam thing was a PITA that had me steaming slowly in a circle such that the harbor patrol came to check I wasn't in distress.
That's because you should have been flying O over Q and then they wouldn't have wasted their time...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum