Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2016, 13:24   #61

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Help with ssb choice

Ping,

Since you covered the small receiver topic well, and I have no idea what a Lancha Chilota is...I'm concentrating on what I can helpfully contribute...
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Five topics, you missed out on the quality of modern small and portable receivers and also Lancha Chilotas......
But, FYI....I have a Sangean 909 as my emergency HF receiver (behind my two M-802's)...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 14:21   #62

Boat: Catalina 470

IP485,
This really isn't the best thread to explain all about DSC, whether HF-DSC and/or VHF-DSC (there is the sticky that Dockhead already linked to, that does describe this in detail), but....
But, just for a brief clarification here...please allow me to dispel some myths and inform...

1) First off, there are a LOT of people / shore stations / vessels monitoring HF Marine Radio, actually more now than 20 years ago!
But, these are DSC, not "SSB Voice" watchstanding...

There are currently > 80 HF-DSC Coast Stations, worldwide, monitoring HF-DSC, 24/7/365....And > 450 MF-DSC Coast Stations worldwide, monitoring HF-DSC, 24/7/365....
(all of these are either collocated-with, or directly connected to their RCC's)
And 1000's and 1000's of merchant vessels monitoring MF/HF-DSC, while at sea, daily....and in addition to all of them being able to relay your distress or other call, to RCC's and/or other shore stations, these vessels are also IN YOUR AREA, and can render assistance to you....especially helpful in non-distress situations)

And, these have been the facts of life in our world for many, many years....this is not a new phenomenon....

The MF/HF-DSC system (along with VHF-DSC, 406mhz EPIRB's, INMARSAT-C) has been part of the GMDSS since its implementation in 1992, about 25 years ago (and mandatory for all signatory nations and all SOLAS vessels, since Jan 1999....about 18 years ago!)

Why this isn't better understood by the average cruising sailor has multiple answers, not the least of which is that it isn't new, isn't whiz-bang, isn't sexy, doesn't use an "App", etc. etc. etc....
It's just a fact of long-range Maritime comms that has been with us all for decades now...

If you'd like a really nice (and easy-to-grasp, for all) explanation of how all this works, please have a look at these videos....watch 'em in order and it will all make sense..

HF-DSC Videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ga2zYuPozhUXZX

And, if you wish to read....
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...os-141406.html

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=GMDSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ip485 View Post
This point intrigued me. I agree in Europe there is no one left apparently monitoring HF - I think even Osted has gone. I dont entirely follow your point about DSC, is this with reference to transmitting on HF?

Ip485, this is more than theory....it has been in daily use by 1000's of mariners worldwide (including in Europe) for about 20 years now...just like VHF-DSC...

VHF-DSC is great!! It works, and works well....
But, if you need to contact another vessel outside of VHF range (typically beyond 30 miles) and/or contact any shoreside station beyond VHF range (typically beyond 60 to 75 miles), the only way to do this is via MF/HF-DSC Radio...
{the exception is the USCG and Taupo Radio in NZ, where both still maintain a Voice SSB radio watch on certain HF freqs at some specific times-of-the-day}
Again, with the entire worlds seas and oceans covered 24/7/365 with MF-DSC and HF-DSC Coast Stations (including all of Europe, the Med, etc.), and have been this way for decades, this is not theory, but in actual use daily....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ip485 View Post
I can see how it might theoretically be useful, but practically I am not so sure. If you have VHF with DSC you could well use that for anything in range. Now I appreciate you might want to make a call to someone out of VHF range and if you knew their DSC number you could - which you might well with a friend. Are you also suggesting if SSR dont monitor HF, never the less they would receive a DSC over HF? I can see how that would be useful if you were outside the range of VHF. Of course most of the marine chatter is over SSB nets on prearranged frequencies and prearranged times. Also if it is talking to friends then you would porbably be monitoring a prearranged frequency. I assume the party being called would also need to have a SSB with DSC which whilst I guess the norm on ships is less likely to be the case on yachts, where I would guess the majority do not have SSB.

Just interested in the practical advantages if you already have VHF DSC?
Understand that while the GMDSS is thought of as a "Distress" system it is called the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System, and the term "safety" is important too....and DSC is Digital Selective Calling, which implies "selectiveness", but please understand that you can do an "all ships" call for routine, position reports, position requests, etc...as well as "safety" (securite) and/or "urgency" (pan pan) calls, to everyone....so, everyone gets the call, not just one "select" mariner...

Again, this isn't the place to ramble on about DSC....just wanted you to be aware that while many here (and I suspect in Europe, too), so many, many people change their smart phones every year or two, their tablets every couple years, and their laptops every few years....change their TV's, etc. every few years, etc....and many times are forced to change other devices/systems as their providers change technology (satellite TV, Cable TV, internet services, Wi-Fi systems, etc.)....
It is still surprising that when the worldwide maritime communications system underwent a complete transformation in the 1990's, many sailors and those in the cruising community, simply ignored it???
Or, simply assume that while they can still talk to their friends on the radio, who cares if the rest of the world has changed???
How many cruising sailors are still using 15 - 20+ year old computers, mobile phones, etc??? But, these same sailors still have their 15 - 20 year old radios...

I'm NOT trying to be alarmist, just pointing out the facts...
Hope this has helped...

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 14:37   #63

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Five topics, you missed out on the quality of modern small and portable receivers and also Lancha Chilotas......
6 actually, the presence of a cassette deck also. I will however concede that some older tech is superior to newer tech.......I'm just not sure the cassette is in that category.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 15:20   #64

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
6 actually, the presence of a cassette deck also. I will however concede that some older tech is superior to newer tech.......I'm just not sure the cassette is in that category.
You have to go back to the big AKAI reel to reel units to find superior older tech in that area..
Old 19-12-2016, 16:39   #65

This tread has become very interesting!!! BTW, I replaced a non-DSC SSB/Ham radio with an Icom M802. Although I'm glad to have DSC onboard, the remote control was needed to fit in my nav-station!
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 04:38   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Bill,

Is there any FCC docket number tracking this issue? I tried to find anything in the notoriously hard to search FCC database but only found an old issue with some DSC radios and text messages.

It would be a shame to put the only DSC HF radio off the market unless the problem is truly hazardous which I doubt.

Dan

Well, at least there is now a docket number for the requested waiver: WT Docket No.17-122

From Dockside Radio "Icom Applies for FCC Waiver to Permit M802 Sales!"

"The FCC is soliciting your input/comments. Icom America has formally asked the FCC to grant a waiver that would permit it (Icom) to resume selling the M802. The Icom M802 is the only marine SSB that sells for less than $8,000 - $10.000. Download the FCC's Public Notice. Follow the links in the notice and tell the FCC YES, grant Icom the waiver they seek in WT- Docket Number 17-122. No long letter or detailed explanation is required."

docksideradio.com
RidgeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb