Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2015, 07:40   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
New HF-DSC Explanation and LIVE Demonstration Videos

Hello to all,
(sorry about the truncated posting....still not sure why/how Cruiser's Forum software does this....but at least all the links to the videos showed!)

Since posting my earlier series of videos about HF Maritime Communications (and specifically delving into the details of operating the Icom M-802), "Icom M-802 Instr Videos(basic-adv) & LIVE DSC-Distress Call", http://www.ssca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16779 , I've had some questions regarding DSC (Digital Selective Calling)...

Some of these questions about DSC came from those who truly had no understanding of what DSC was, nor how it works, let alone how to use it.
And, some recent discussions with some SSCA folks has showed that there are many sailors / cruisers out there (and many more prepping or dreaming) that have gotten little practical education from expensive "communications webinars", let alone any free boat show seminars!

These facts promoted me to make some new videos, the first group of which tackles HF-DSC (Long-range Digital Selective Calling), which are designed to educate non-technical layperson-sailors in how "these blasted radio things" work, as well as show real-world LIVE demonstrations of actual on-air use!
(But, like my earlier series of videos, I suspect that many seasoned radio operators will also find them to be helpful...)

Here are links to my new DSC videos....
(Please note that the last two videos are ONE video, just couldn't upload it all at once so it ended up having to be broken into 2 parts....But, you should watch these last two videos back-to-back, in order to fully understand each of them....)

HF-DSC - Digital Selective Calling, Basic Explanation

HF-DSC Demonstration Set-up / Offshore Sailing Nav Station Set-up

How to use HF-DSC to contact other boats/vessels and coast stations

Live Demonstration of HF-DSC "Test" Calls to USCG and WLO, Part 1 (be sure to watch Part 2!)

Live Demonstration of HF-DSC "Routine" and "Safety" Calls to USCG and WLO, Part 2

(If you combine these new videos above with some of my earlier videos, such as these below, anyone can easily learn how long range marine communications systems work, and how-to actually use it effectively!
And, these are all FREE!)

ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 07:50   #2

Re: New HF-DSC Explanation and LIVE Demonstration Videos

Hello to all,
Sorry about the truncated posting above....still not sure why/how Cruiser's Forum software does this....but at least all the links to the videos showed!

Fair winds to all!

John, KA4WJA
s/v Annie Laurie, WDB6927
MMSI# 366933110

P.S.
I'm also working on some videos showing simple/easy, and very reliable ways to "get weather" info/forecasts while at sea and in remote areas....without breaking your budget!
Hope to post 'em soon!
Old 17-02-2015, 08:05   #3

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

John,

So far, looks like some good info. Thanks. I'll take a closer look when I get off work.

Daniel W4ABN
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 09:19   #4

Again, not sure about the Cruiser's Forum software, but here is the other HF-DSC video (that didn't show up above), describing how-to call another boat on HF-DSC..

"Calling other boats using HF-DSC"

Fair winds...

John, KA4WJA
MMSI# 366933110
Old 17-02-2015, 17:07   #5

Those that wish Parts 1 and 2 combined....but with a little lower resolution...

Live Demonstration of HF-DSC "Test", "Routine", and "Safety" Calls to USCG and WLO, etc.
(this is parts #1 and #2 combined together using youtube edit, but the resolution is a bit lower....which might be good for those of you on bandwidth limited internet...)

Fair winds...

John, KA4WJA
MMSI# 366933110
Old 18-02-2015, 04:10   #6

I created a few Youtube Playlists that might make finding / watching the videos that you desire to be a bit easier...

Maritime HF Communications ("HF-SSB")

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2nPNdApNsZDo_Jk3NB_Bt1y

(which currently consists of 13 videos, showing/discussing: radiowave propagation and channel/freq choice; atmospheric and man-made noises; radio-telephone calls; Distress Signaling; explanations/demonstrations of HF-DSC calling; etc. etc.)

Icom M-802 Instruction Videos

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2npivDjoFrC-8QKVyMb4tVr

(which currently consists of 15 videos, showing/discussing: basic and advanced Icom M-802 instructions, use, and programming;......along with radiowave propagation and channel/freq choice; atmospheric and man-made noises; radio-telephone calls; Distress Signaling; explanations/demonstrations of HF-DSC calling; etc. etc.)

HF-DSC Communications

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2n3z5nlv-ga2zYuPozhUXZX

(which currently consists of 8 videos showing/demonstrating the features and capabilities of HF-DSC signaling, as well as detailed explanation of what DSC is, how it works, and why/how you should use it...)

[I will add/update videos in these playlists as needed / when input is received....]

I hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John, KA4WJA
MMSI# 366933110
Old 18-02-2015, 17:59   #7

Boat: None yet

Wow that's an amazing amount of work. Thanks for your efforts!

foz
fozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 22:51   #8

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Excellent, may thanks for the obvious had work in producing these
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 10:40   #9

Daniel, foz, Roland, et al,

You're welcome!

Be sure to have another look though, as I have added more videos to the above playlists!!!

And, have also finally uploaded my Offshore Weather videos into their own playlist...

Offshore Weather....procedures, sources and applications

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... JjHlChruyY

(which currently consists of 7 videos explaining and showing/demonstrating, exactly what weather sources are easily available to sailors/cruisers when at sea or in remote locales, showing/demonstrating both SSB Voice Weather Forecasts and WeFax Charts, worldwide....)

Fair winds...

John, KA4WJA
MMSI# 366933110

P.S. Also have my offshore sailing videos posted...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...KgTCj15iyl6qoY
Old 04-03-2015, 15:54   #10

Just curious, if anyone has any suggestions for new radio videos??
Please let me know, I may be looking at doing some more videos in the coming months...

Fair winds...

John
Old 05-03-2015, 00:09   #11

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I recently got a pair of DSC equipped handheld VHF's. Seems like the ideal MOB setup. Have them programmed with separate MSI numbers so enabling both DSC calling and polling for location which creates a way-point in the other set. I dont think many people know about these sets yet so a demo of their capabilities may be interesting. Mine are Standard Horizon HX851's but I know Icom also make sets. If you don't have access to radios maybe we could colaberate. I have never made a video, been in a few and am a teacher so can deliver a presentation. Also have a good camera that will do video.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:14   #12

Roland,
Thank You, for the suggestion...
I like it!

I've got my eyes on a new Icom M-92D, Handheld VHF-FM-DSC radio....
But, I've got 3 Icom Marine HT's now....two M1V's that just keep on working and working, doused in sea water 100's of times, submerged a few times, etc...
So, I haven't been so quick to spend the $$$....

But, the M-92D is on my shopping list for this spring, so I should be able to do a few VHF-DSC videos, including "polling", etc. this spring...

I'm going to try to continue to keep the videos as informative/factual as possible, without much "opinion" being voiced, so while I'll certainly be looking at doing a VHF-DSC video series (incl. handheld DSC radios), and explaining the various uses (incl. polling, and possible MOB tracking, etc.) I don't think I'd go so far as to recommend this as a "MOB setup"....
{my opinions here on MOB set-ups, are a bit old fashioned....and while I personally like the personal AIS beacons for MOB SAR, I still feel the absolute best approach is to not fall off the boat, and every minute of effort spent (and every dollar spent) keeping the humans on-the-boat, pays off 100's of times better than any high-tech radios/beacons/direct-finders, etc..
Again, just my personal opinion....not gospel! }

If I don't get around to my new videos in the next month or so, and you're still interested, I'll get in touch directly....and we might be able to make a go of it!

FYI, on a side note, in addition to my professional career, I've taught many seminars on radiowave propagation, antenna system design and engineering, etc....as well as spent 9 years volunteering one morning-a-week in an 8th grade History class, teaching 12-13 yr olds about business, education skills, credit, consumer purchasing decisions, job seeking, etc....
And, even with the videos here, I never use a script / outline, etc....it's all off-the-top-of-my-head....
So, forgive the sometimes random thoughts that seem to just fall off my tongue!!!
I figure, I'm not getting paid for this....and nobody is directing me to do it....so, why not just have fun and "let 'r rip!"...

Thanks again for the idea....I do like it!

Fair winds..

John
Old 31-03-2015, 17:54   #13

As this subject keeps coming up, and since it is an oft misunderstood / confusing subject, I thought it might make a good "sticky"....

But, the mods might not have seen it....so, here it is again...

Fair winds to all..

John
Old 14-04-2015, 05:17   #14

I'm toying with the idea of doing a few afternoons / evenings of a "DSC Testing" Net....to send / receiver HF-DSC "Routine" calls to/from other boats...

Sort of an odd idea....but since a few here have publicly asked about their HF-DSC radio's operation / testing with other boats, I thought in addition to my recommendations to send test calls to WLO and USCG (as well as Brunei Bay Radio, etc.), that we could arrange a couple afternoons or early evenings to do HF-DSC test calls to/from other boats??
(and perhaps, I could even video some of this, for a final wrap-up of the HF-DSC Videos...)

Both Jd1 and Charlie on s/v La Morocha have recent threads here, and I've learned something good from them...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...sc-144124.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...sb-143696.html

{When waiting for an ACK from a DSC Test Call, the M-802's "Main Receiver" / "Main Antenna" is being used to receive this DSC ACK, and not the "DSC receiver"/"DSC Antenna"....}

Anyone wishing to comment (positively of negatively), please do so...
(FYI, due to some family/personal matters, I will be unavailable for the next few weeks....but, it'll probably take that long to arrange things for everyone anyway....)

Fair winds..

John

P.S. Anyone who also thinks this thread might be a good sticky, please let the moderators know....
Thanks!
Old 20-04-2015, 13:22   #15

With the recent discussions of HF-DSC / SSB, I thought bumping this back up top might give some of you the chance to see it....

Watch the video playlists, and I think you'll enjoy!

Fair winds to all..

John

Tags
dsc