Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2023, 10:19   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Finally!!! Something instead of Starlink! Can’t wait for this

https://cordcuttersnews.com/amazons-...service/?amp=1

Very excited to try this out.

Starlink pricing bothers me. This will be less
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 11:02   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Finally!!! Something instead of Starlink! Can’t wait for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
https://cordcuttersnews.com/amazons-...service/?amp=1

Very excited to try this out.

Starlink pricing bothers me. This will be less
Really? $120/month too much but $100 is okay?

By the time they launch (only in some areas) in 2025, if they make it that far, the pricing will all be radically different.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 11:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Really? $120/month too much but $100 is okay?

By the time they launch (only in some areas) in 2025, if they make it that far, the pricing will all be radically different.
Starlink roam is $150-$200 according to all the data I see.

This is quoted at possibly $83/mo or so in the article.

Yes, $150/mo is out of the question for internet (in addition to phones). Large, wasteful monthly payments are not something I do. Monthly things like that are terrible for financial discipline.

Some competition in the market will be good
Old 19-11-2023, 12:35   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

But who is going to provide daylight & moonlight to earth through the mass of sattelites everyone is putting up....?
Old 19-11-2023, 12:47   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

Competition is good. No reasonable person ever thought Starlink was going to kill all competition and be the fastest, bestest ever. It just got it's 15 minutes. And Musk seems to be toxic to several of his companies as of late.

I predict that by the time this comes out it will be about equal to SL. SL will release newer smaller hardware, and prices will adjust. Amazon wants to undercut Starlink, but that is a short term gameplan to gain market. You can sell a new product at a loss to get some market share, but eventually you need to make a profit. Note Starlink's slow and steady increases and add-ons.

I also predict that Iridium isn't going anywhere. A market pivot for sure, for many years Iridium has been selling service for emergency devices like the inreach. And even the Go has a place for delivery captains and the like that need a device that can move with them from ship to ship.
Old 19-11-2023, 12:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
But who is going to provide daylight & moonlight to earth through the mass of sattelites everyone is putting up....?
I couldn’t agree more. I was very much against these constellations. Hate them. But, my feelings (and those of astronomers everywhere) didn’t matter. Starlink unilaterally destroyed the night sky. It’s already too late.

Well on our way to being a locked planet
Old 19-11-2023, 13:03   #7

Well, something needs to be done about the wifi rip off. More competition is good.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 13:21   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Starlink roam is $150-$200 according to all the data I see.

This is quoted at possibly $83/mo or so in the article.

Yes, $150/mo is out of the question for internet (in addition to phones). Large, wasteful monthly payments are not something I do. Monthly things like that are terrible for financial discipline.

Some competition in the market will be good
No, that $83/mo is just some bait thrown out and also only for residential service, not mobile/roaming, quated at $100 elsewhere in the article. This is comparable to the current $120 from Starlink. For a start somewhere in 2025 there was no announcement for mobile service at all. I have a hard time believing investors will be willing to carry that to a constellation comparable to Starlink because they don’t have theirown reusable rockets to launch it with.

Old 19-11-2023, 13:40   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

According to Amazon*, Project Kuiper has secured 77 heavy-lift launches from Arianespace, Blue Origin, United Launch Alliance, and they have options for additional launches with Blue Origin, providing enough capacity to deploy the majority of their 3,236 LEO satellites satellite constellation.

Their FCC license requires that they deploy and operate at least half of their satellite constellation by July 2026. They launched their first two prototype satellites on October 6, 2023, and they expect to provide service to the earliest Project Kuiper customers by the end of 2024.

*https://www.aboutamazon.com/what-we-...project-kuiper

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 14:15   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm no fan of either super-billionaire, but surely having some competition for Starlink can only be a good thing.

Arguing about price at this point seems foolish. All one can reasonably say is that Amazon will have to come in at a lower price-point, or offer significant benefits in other ways. And it will inspire Starlink to become cheaper, or better, or both.

And yeah... it sucks for astronomical science. I think to compensate, Bezos and Musk should have to fund more high-orbit and solar orbit telescopes. Make it part of their federal licensing requirements.
Old 19-11-2023, 17:42   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm no fan of either super-billionaire, but surely having some competition for Starlink can only be a good thing.

Arguing about price at this point seems foolish. All one can reasonably say is that Amazon will have to come in at a lower price-point, or offer significant benefits in other ways. And it will inspire Starlink to become cheaper, or better, or both.

And yeah... it sucks for astronomical science. I think to compensate, Bezos and Musk should have to fund more high-orbit and solar orbit telescopes. Make it part of their federal licensing requirements.
Musk is going to make humanity a multiplanetary species, is that good enough?

Old 19-11-2023, 17:59   #12

Quote:
I couldn’t agree more. I was very much against these constellations. Hate them. But, my feelings (and those of astronomers everywhere) didn’t matter. Starlink unilaterally destroyed the night sky. It’s already too late.

Well on our way to being a locked planet
I think it is a big hit to the scientific community, but it is a reach to say it destroyed the night sky. I have yet to see one of the famous stings of lights. If I look at the sky for at least a few minutes every night and haven't seem them, then the sky is very much not destroyed.
Old 19-11-2023, 18:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
According to Amazon*, Project Kuiper has secured 77 heavy-lift launches from Arianespace, Blue Origin, United Launch Alliance, and they have options for additional launches with Blue Origin, providing enough capacity to deploy the majority of their 3,236 LEO satellites satellite constellation.

Their FCC license requires that they deploy and operate at least half of their satellite constellation by July 2026. They launched their first two prototype satellites on October 6, 2023, and they expect to provide service to the earliest Project Kuiper customers by the end of 2024.

*https://www.aboutamazon.com/what-we-...project-kuiper
A friend of mine in the industry was discussing this with me a few weeks ago, and he said that Amazon basically bought and paid for every available launch from every company for several years out. They temporarily stopped anyone else on the planet (except spaceX) from putting a satellite in orbit. Temporarily because the demand resulted in industry investment in more launch capacity. With enough money, and Bezos has more than enough, the timeline is possible.
Old 19-11-2023, 18:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Musk is going to make humanity a multiplanetary species, is that good enough?
But also, after speaking to US Senators about the dangers of AI and how we needed to slow research and control it, his goal for his own AI company is for it to be the most powerful on Earth, and to have no controls or "censorship." He proudly is making is rebellious and modeling it on the Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy.

<sarcasm>It's almost like he is an evil villain from a bad movie. Complete with his own escape plan to space after he intentionally dooms civilization here.</sarcasm> Or maybe we shouldn't joke about that, and be seriously concerned about one of the richest people in the world being intent on building the most powerful AI yet and making it rebellious and without any safety controls.
Old 19-11-2023, 18:42   #15

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

I like these guys. They are tremendous innovators. I also very much like your idea about astronomy charity.