Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2023, 18:44   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Finally!!! Something instead of Starlink! Can’t wait for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
But also, after speaking to US Senators about the dangers of AI and how we needed to slow research and control it, his goal for his own AI company is for it to be the most powerful on Earth, and to have no controls or "censorship."
That’s completely wrong. I recommend you read up on Musk’s position on AI. Also, it is Microsoft who owns OpenAI, not Musk.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 18:44   #17

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
But also, after speaking to US Senators about the dangers of AI and how we needed to slow research and control it, his goal for his own AI company is for it to be the most powerful on Earth, and to have no controls or "censorship." He proudly is making is rebellious and modeling it on the Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy.

<sarcasm>It's almost like he is an evil villain from a bad movie. Complete with his own escape plan to space after he intentionally dooms civilization here.</sarcasm> Or maybe we shouldn't joke about that, and be seriously concerned about one of the richest people in the world being intent on building the most powerful AI yet and making it rebellious and without any safety controls.
You are letting the talking heads influence you. Every genius in history was eccentric to a degree. And they have their flaws.
Old 19-11-2023, 18:56   #18

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
No, that $83/mo is just some bait thrown out and also only for residential service, not mobile/roaming, quated at $100 elsewhere in the article. This is comparable to the current $120 from Starlink. For a start somewhere in 2025 there was no announcement for mobile service at all. I have a hard time believing investors will be willing to carry that to a constellation comparable to Starlink because they don’t have theirown reusable rockets to launch it with.
This is unlike you. You are massaging the numbers to support your point instead of using facts.

Why do you keep quoting the residential star link but the mobile Amazon one? I know you are a Elon musk fan boy from what I am reading in this thread, but still. Facts are facts. $150-$200 is Starlink mobile pricing . Why aren’t you using the right numbers? Why do you keep saying $120? That’s Starlink residential fixed location
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 19:00   #19

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
I think it is a big hit to the scientific community, but it is a reach to say it destroyed the night sky. I have yet to see one of the famous stings of lights. If I look at the sky for at least a few minutes every night and haven't seem them, then the sky is very much not destroyed.
Just because you haven’t seen them doesn’t mean it’s not harming astronomy. Look at these pictures. They are indeed destroying the sky for astronomers and therefore for humanity.

I still can’t believe they were unilaterally allowed to do this without any limitation whatsoever

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 20:04   #20

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Musk is going to make humanity a multiplanetary species, is that good enough?

Sorry... I'm no fanboy.
Old 19-11-2023, 20:09   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
This is unlike you. You are massaging the numbers to support your point instead of using facts.

Why do you keep quoting the residential star link but the mobile Amazon one? I know you are a Elon musk fan boy from what I am reading in this thread, but still. Facts are facts. $150-$200 is Starlink mobile pricing . Why aren’t you using the right numbers? Why do you keep saying $120? That’s Starlink residential fixed location
Amazon $100 is fixed residential too. You have to compare the same service.

Edit: I copied quotes from your link so that there’s no question on me being correct in my comments. Note “residential home internet. Also mentions rural areas elsewhere in the article. 2nd quote: $100
The $1000/yr is just from some bobo who has nothing to do with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4652.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	283554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4653.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	283555  

Old 19-11-2023, 20:11   #22

Quote:
<sarcasm>It's almost like he is an evil villain from a bad movie. Complete with his own escape plan to space after he intentionally dooms civilization here.</sarcasm> Or maybe we shouldn't joke about that, and be seriously concerned about one of the richest people in the world being intent on building the most powerful AI yet and making it rebellious and without any safety controls.
I think Musk is the living embodiment of a James Bond villain. You couldn't write a more perfect caricature.
Old 19-11-2023, 20:17   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Sorry... I'm no fanboy.
Here, reality.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4651.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	283556  

Old 19-11-2023, 20:22   #24

Quote:
Here, reality.

Oh boy, rocket engines .
Old 19-11-2023, 20:29   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh boy, rocket engines .
Oh my, your bias takes all reason away. It’s a bit more than rocket engines Mike. It’s something that couldn’t exist today according to all the “experts”.

Here’s some data… 121 meters high, 5 million kilograms, fully reusable, interplanetary travel.

You simply have to respect such achievements.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4654.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	283557  

Old 19-11-2023, 20:37   #26

Quote:
Oh my, your bias takes all reason away. It’s a bit more than rocket engines Mike. It’s something that couldn’t exist today according to all the “experts”.

Here’s some data… 121 meters high, 5 million kilograms, fully reusable, interplanetary travel.

You simply have to respect such achievements.
Name these "experts." No wait... don't bother. No one cares .

You're like a cultist who thinks they hear someone criticize their dear leader. All I said was, "I'm no fan of either super-billionaire, but surely having some competition for Starlink can only be a good thing." What has this got to do with Musk's rhetoric around going to Mars?

Yup, he's done some great things. So have a lot of people. What has that got to do with the entry of a new competitor to the LEO satellite Internet service market?!?
Old 19-11-2023, 20:45   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Name these "experts." No wait... don't bother. No one cares .

You're like a cultist who thinks they hear someone criticize their dear leader. All I said was, "I'm no fan of either super-billionaire, but surely having some competition for Starlink can only be a good thing." What has this got to do with Musk's rhetoric around going to Mars?

Yup, he's done some great things. So have a lot of people. What has that got to do with the entry of a new competitor to the LEO satellite Internet service market?!?
That’s not what I quoted you saying. You simply can’t handle visionaries and highly successful entrepreneurs. Recognizing mankinds big steps forward has nothing to do with a cult, that’s what you make of it because you can’t handle the magnitude of what is happening. I bet you use your cellphone for mobile Internet.

Old 19-11-2023, 20:56   #28

Quote:
That’s not what I quoted you saying. You simply can’t handle visionaries and highly successful entrepreneurs. Recognizing mankinds big steps forward has nothing to do with a cult, that’s what you make of it because you can’t handle the magnitude of what is happening. I bet you use your cellphone for mobile Internet.
Are you drunk?

What are you even talking about . Where have I said ANYTHING about being impressed, or not, with "visionaries"??!!?? I said I wasn't a fan of either super-billionaire.

Here's the message you quoted:

Quote:
I'm no fan of either super-billionaire, but surely having some competition for Starlink can only be a good thing.

Arguing about price at this point seems foolish. All one can reasonably say is that Amazon will have to come in at a lower price-point, or offer significant benefits in other ways. And it will inspire Starlink to become cheaper, or better, or both.

And yeah... it sucks for astronomical science. I think to compensate, Bezos and Musk should have to fund more high-orbit and solar orbit telescopes. Make it part of their federal licensing requirements.
Where in here does it even remotely touch on Musk's plans to go to Mars?!? YOU are the only one pushing this completely bizarre drift. All I wanted to do was say that competition will be good in the satellite-based Internet service market. You are having a completely different discussion.
Old 20-11-2023, 00:45   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
I like these guys. They are tremendous innovators. I also very much like your idea about astronomy charity.
It's a case of True Cost Economics - not charity:

If they are imposing an indirect cost [negative externality] on society, then, paying for a work-around [or mitigation/remediation] isn’t charity - it’s merely internalizing these marginal costs and risks.
When the price of something fails to reflect all the total costs, associated with its production, rendering, or impact, then under true cost economics, a third party (a regulator or government) may have the obligation to step in, to impose a tariff or tax [a Pigovian tax*], to influence consumer behavior and/or provide the means for future remediation.

* Pigovian [AKA: Pigouvian] taxes were named after English economist, Arthur Pigou, a significant contributor to early externality theory. The purpose of the Pigovian tax is to redistribute the cost, back to the producer [or user] of the negative externality.

A carbon tax is an example of a Pigovian tax, which is intended to factor in the real cost of burning fossil fuels, which is [otherwise] paid by society. The end role of the carbon tax is to ensure that the producers of carbon products are the ones incurring this external cost.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 01:49   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
That’s completely wrong. I recommend you read up on Musk’s position on AI. Also, it is Microsoft who owns OpenAI, not Musk.
So, just what is Elon Musk’s position, on Artificial Intelligence [AI]?
I suspect, only Musk knows.

In March, of this year, more than 1,800 signatories. including Elon Musk [was an OpenAI initial investor & board member - he left in 2018], the cognitive scientist Gary Marcus, and Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, called for a six-month pause, on the development of AI systems “more powerful” than that of GPT-4, so potential risks can be studied, and researched. Engineers from Amazon, DeepMind, Google, Meta, and Microsoft also lent their support.

The 'pause' didn't happen.
Musk signed the letter, calling for a pause, only to set up a new AI company [the same month], called xAI, to build AI systems that would “understand the true nature of the universe.”.

On November 4, X owner Elon Musk, unveiled his new AI chatbot “Grok”, built by his AI company, xAI. Grok is built on a large language model [LLM], in much the same way as OpenAI’s ChatGPT, and is being positioned as a potential rival.

I suspect [but don't know] that he may want a pause, just like a lot of other AI leaders; but, as long as there isn’t one, he feels he has to also move forward, just to stay in the game.

“Pause Giant AI Experiments: An Open Letter”
https://futureoflife.org/open-letter...i-experiments/

Announcing ‘Grok’ ➥ https://x.ai/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote