Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2022, 13:36   #1

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)
Does Fusion RA70N have non-volatile memory?

On my boat I currently use a regular car stereo. It did a good job exept for one thing: everytime I leave the boat and switch off all power, it forgets every radio preset I made. That is not so strange, car stereo's use a permanent power wire which keeps the memory alive even when the car is switched off. But on a boat (at least on my boat) that is not such a good idea, we usually like to have everything powered down. And so it is annoyingly rather forgetful.

The current radio is about to be replaced, so I'm looking around for modern alternatives with Bluetooth, USB input and also: a radio with non-volatile memory. This type of memory keeps its data even completely powered off, so ideal for boats. I like the sleek design of Fusion Audio and the MS-RA70N model seems to have everything I would like. But curous enough it is nowhere to be found if it has non-volatile memory.

Can anyone help me out?
Old 14-10-2022, 16:35   #2

Re: Does Fusion RA70N have non-volatile memory?

Please be aware of one of the inherent problems with the Fusion stereos. If I was starting from scratch, I certainly wouldn't buy one of these.
b_ohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 17:01   #3

Hmm, thanks for the warning.
Since you have (or had?) a RA70N, could you enlighten me if it remembers it's FM station presets after powering down?
Old 14-10-2022, 17:08   #4

I don't use FM so I don't know but it remembers the Bluetooth connection.
b_ohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 04:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilCigno View Post
Since you have (or had?) a RA70N, could you enlighten me if it remembers it's FM station presets after powering down?
Anyone?
Old 21-10-2022, 04:34   #6

Man I miss my youthful days riding in my parents car with all four windows rolled down trying to adjust that radio knob ever so slightly to get the least amount of cackle. The orange line behind the clear glass told you what frequency you were tuned to and there was no such thing as decimal stations.

By the time I got my own first car, all the stereos were mostly digital. But the first thing you did with the new car was rip out the oem crap and pick up something better from Circuit City. I remember that extra wire that needs to go directly to the battery for memory. The main power is switched through the ignition. I want to recall that the memory wire was almost always yellow.

Sorry… I’m rambling like an old man. I don’t actually know the answer to your question as I don’t own a Fusion. I wouldn’t mind one, though. Two thoughts: 1) connecting the yellow always-on wire on a regular stereo seems like a trivial thing. I would want some disconnect switch or fuse for when you might be away long periods, but you’d want a fuse anyway. 2) I did look at the Fusion installation manual and that radio has no always-on wire. The instructions state to wire the power through an ignition or other switch.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 05:59   #7

I'm not sure, but I think the "marine stereo" units have this feature, to prevent battery drain during long periods of non use. Will cost more for sure.....but it is a boat!
Twedd is offline   Reply With Quote