Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2022, 08:36   #1

Amel Furuno vs. B&G

Does anyone know (from personal experience) or can make an educated guess as to why Amel opts for a mostly B&G electronics suite but a Furuno plotter and autopilot? It *seems* that an all-B&G suite would be more easily integrated and less prone to compatibility issues.
Troy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 15:03   #2

Re: Amel Furuno vs. B&G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy H View Post
Does anyone know (from personal experience) or can make an educated guess as to why Amel opts for a mostly B&G electronics suite but a Furuno plotter and autopilot? It *seems* that an all-B&G suite would be more easily integrated and less prone to compatibility issues.

Furuno make excellent autopilots,plotters and ECDIS but I don’t recall seeing a wind suite so maybe B&G was the best other option..... or is it possible that the EU import restriction rules influence Amels choices
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 15:16   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

It’s weird because the B&G autopilots are descendants from the legendary Robertson autopilots. While Furuno isn’t bad at all, it doesn’t beat B&G for autopilots.

I’ve had all these brands but opt for B&G now.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 15:33   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Amel Furuno vs. B&G

Amel always have peculiar “ wierd” Little quirks

Having tried them all. I think bang for buck the Raymarine EV1 AP is best.

Furuno aP is “ ok “ for mobos it’s a poor sailing AP.
Old 07-10-2022, 16:30   #5

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I have experience with both Furuno and B&G, but I never purchased any Furuno for a refit (mine or others). Oh yes, purchased for nearly every boat a Furuno GP 32 or 37 (GPS unit).

Any manufacturer makes choices on equipping their new boat for various reasons, and "the best" is not always on the menu.
It may be availability (as mentioned in a previous post), or the personal preference of the electronics guru at that yard, prices offered by the electronics companies, industry rewards (kickbacks), all that sways the yard to certain decisions. Likely they want to select their gear to what their prospective buyer would like to see. But, sure as hell, any boat yard needs to make money, and almost certainly the most expensive equipment will not be fitted.

Lastly, after 5 or 10 years all electronics become dated, and getting ready to be replaced, as repairing is mostly not on the menu. So the choices then become those of the subsequent owner, not the original yard.

Q for Goboatingnow: "MOBOS" I do not know what that means, maybe "motor boats"?
Old 07-10-2022, 16:36   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Amel Furuno vs. B&G

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
I have experience with both Furuno and B&G, but I never purchased any Furuno for a a refit (mine or others). Oh yes, purchased for nearly every boat a Furuno GP 32 or 37 (GPS unit).

Any manufacturer makes choices on equipping their new boat for various reasons, and "the best" is not always on the menu.

It may be availability (as mentioned in a previous post), or the personal preference of the electronics guru at that yard, prices offered by the electronics companies, industry rewards (kickbacks), all that sways the yard to certain decisions. Likely they want to select their gear to what their prospective buyer would like to see. But, sure as hell, any boat yard needs to make money, and almost certainly the most expensive equipment will not be fitted.

Lastly, after 5 or 10 years all electronics become dated, and getting ready to be replaced, as repairing is mostly not on the menu. So the choices then become those of the subsequent owner, not the original yard.

Q for Goboatingnow: "MOBOS" I do not know what that means, maybe "motor boats"?

Yup motorboats.

In my experience kick backs have little to do with it. Yards in general don’t fit electronics. They tend to call in local ( if practical ) dealers. In many places therefore whoever is the local dealer you will see a lot of his brands in the boats.

In my area for example there’s an excellent Raymarine and garmin dealer. So you’ll see far more Ray or garmin and little B &G or Furuno .

In contrast at home my fishing port has a very good SINRAD/Furuno dealer. As a result you see a lot more of that gear.
Old 21-10-2022, 16:53   #7

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

thanks goboatingnow, for the confirmation of 'mobos'.
Yes I agree, the presence of a good dealer closeby is very important, and was to a large degree a determining factor when equipping sea rescue vessels.
But for a cruising boat that sails far and wide, a local dealer is less important, or maybe more a case of the existence of a area/global network of good dealers.

Tags
furuno