Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2022, 12:18   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450F
FUSION MS-RA70N won’t connect as audio device in Windows 10

Hi all

I have a Fusion MS-RA70N that I can connect to via Bluetooth from, iPhones, iPads, Android phones without any issues.

However, I have been trying to connect to the RA70 from a Lenovo Windows 10 laptop with built in Bluetooth without success.

The laptop finds and pairs with the RA70 as a Bluetooth device, however, Windows does not set it up as an audio device.

I have updated all the windows Bluetooth and audio drivers, even disabled the Bluetooth device on the laptop and tried a Realtek USB Bluetooth 5.0 dongle. With no change of results.

The laptop is able to pair with Bluetooth headphones and speakers without a problem and sets them up correctly as audio devices in Windows.

Has anyone been able to use a Windows 10 laptop to play music via Bluetooth with the RA70?

I have tried Garmin / Fusion support but they have been non-responsive.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Michael
Sea-change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 13:49   #2

Re: FUSION MS-RA70N won’t connect as audio device in Windows 10

Sadly, it won't work. (I'm disgusted just thinking about how long it took me to accept that. Of all the stupid design decisions you could make for a stereo that goes on a boat...) I've spoken with Fusion about it as well to confirm. So here's a solution:

1. I use a spare (very old) Android with nothing but the basics on it and loaded UPnPlay (https://bebopfreak.wordpress.com/upnplayer/).

2. Download Foobar2000 as your music player (https://www.foobar2000.org/) on your computer.

3. Setup the UPnP MediaRenderer Output Foobar2000 component (https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_upnp).

4. There's also foobar2000 controller PRO (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US) which you can install on your Android to control Foobar2000 on your computer.

It's not a pretty solution and Foobar2000 can be a PITA to work with if you're not technically inclined. But it works and it's free...

You don't have to use Foobar2000; for example, MediaMonkey will also allow streaming to UPnPlay on the Android, but it will cost you.
b_ohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 22:04   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450F
Angry Re: FUSION MS-RA70N won’t connect as audio device in Windows 10

Thank you for your quick response.

Are you saying that Fusion actually designed the RA70 not to work as a Windows Bluetooth audio client? WTF? WHY?

Having spent days on trying to make this work, I feel extremely frustrated.

My main use case is Spotify and as I keep running out of space on my iPhone for offline music, I wanted to use the laptop as the source of the Spotify offline library. Controlling Spotify from my iPhone.

Thank you for providing a solution, but it does seem like a PITA.

It would be nice if Garmin / Fusion actually provided this information on their support site. I’m blown away by the stupidity of their design decision.

Thanks again
Sea-change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:05   #4

Boat: Bavaria 35E

I will never, ever buy a Fusion product again. Worst decision. And overpriced, to boot.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:48   #5

I too am very disappointed with my Fusion RA70N. If I remember correctly, the Bluetooth connection worked with Windows 8.1.

With Windows 10, I too spent hours trying different BT connection options, calling Fusion and Garmin, only to be told it is not their problem and is a Windows driver issue. How can that be???? I can connect my laptop to every BT device except the RA70.

There are other issues too -- it only supports 16GB USB thumb drives, with a maximum of 256 files in each folder, etc. When reading the drive, it is very slow. I thought I would put my music library on a flash drive....Nope.

Anyway, I too would like to see (now) Garmin update the BT connection for Windows 10.
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_ohare View Post
Sadly, it won't work. (I'm disgusted just thinking about how long it took me to accept that. Of all the stupid design decisions you could make for a stereo that goes on a boat...) I've spoken with Fusion about it as well to confirm. So here's a solution:

1. I use a spare (very old) Android with nothing but the basics on it and loaded UPnPlay (https://bebopfreak.wordpress.com/upnplayer/).

2. Download Foobar2000 as your music player (https://www.foobar2000.org/) on your computer.

3. Setup the UPnP MediaRenderer Output Foobar2000 component (https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_upnp).

4. There's also foobar2000 controller PRO (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US) which you can install on your Android to control Foobar2000 on your computer.

It's not a pretty solution and Foobar2000 can be a PITA to work with if you're not technically inclined. But it works and it's free...

You don't have to use Foobar2000; for example, MediaMonkey will also allow streaming to UPnPlay on the Android, but it will cost you.
Just to clarify -- are you connecting the Android phone using BT?

As another alternative, I put a subset of my music library on my iPhone and use the iPhone to play songs. The Fusion app is pretty good at controlling volume.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-change View Post
Thank you for your quick response.

Are you saying that Fusion actually designed the RA70 not to work as a Windows Bluetooth audio client? WTF? WHY?
That is exactly what I'm saying. I don't remember which Bluetooth technology they used but they used one that's compatible with Android and iPhones but not Windows and claimed it's the same one all radio manufacturers use. I did a face palm when they told me this too. Their Android app is awful but this design move is just outright dumb. And to prove their complete dimwittedness and this wasn't just a one-off really bad decision, they put a USB port that can only recognize a FAT32 file structure on a low-MB thumb drive (I don't remember the max size - maybe 16 MB?). They suggested "use an old iPod." No, they weren't joking...

The joke's on us.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
Just to clarify -- are you connecting the Android phone using BT?

As another alternative, I put a subset of my music library on my iPhone and use the iPhone to play songs. The Fusion app is pretty good at controlling volume.
Correct. I have an old Android phone plugged into a charging port (with a clock screen saver so at least there's some small value) that serves as a gateway between my Windows 10 computer and the Fusion piss-poor stereo.

We'll have to agree to disagree on their app; on my new/latest technology Android phone, it still is a hassle and takes way too long to load up the app, choose the stereo (not sure why it makes me go through that step as there's only one), and then play with the volume controls.

At some point, I'm going to throw this thing out once I find a proper stereo system... on principle alone.

Edit: I'm connecting the Android to the Fusion via Bluetooth; however, the Windows to Android goes via uPnP which is WiFi: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-change View Post
My main use case is Spotify and as I keep running out of space on my iPhone for offline music, I wanted to use the laptop as the source of the Spotify offline library. Controlling Spotify from my iPhone
A bit of searching made me aware there's something called Spotify Connect: https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-a...-how-it-works/. I don't use Spotify so don't know if this works but you could try to stream Windows 10 to a spare Android or iPhone and see if that's a viable alternative. I use a spare Android because the streaming slows my phone down and I also don't want music interrupted when a call comes in (or have the call come through the stereo when I answer).

Another good option is to use the AudioRelay app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US). This works well but I don't use it because it streams all of your sounds that occur on your Windows 10 machine to the Fusion (again, via the Android app). For example, if I'm playing music on my Windows 10 machine but click on a video, the video sound will then stream through the Fusion. Likewise, all the email notifications go through the stereo. That's why, to me, the initial setup I suggested above is the one I prefer: it streams just the music but all other sounds remain on the Windows 10 machine.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:56   #10

Quote:
….
We'll have to agree to disagree on their app; on my new/latest technology Android phone, it still is a hassle and takes way too long to load up the app, choose the stereo (not sure why it makes me go through that step as there's only one), and then play with the volume controls.
I agree, it is slow to load. Connect and sometimes hangs. Once connected, it does allow me to change volume. BTW, the iPhone volume doesn’t work via BT either (it should). I gets it’s a piece of crap too.

I’m not holding out that Garmin will support. It is obsolete and they’ll repackage with higher price.
I think about replacing with a cheap car stereo….
Old 20-05-2022, 14:04   #11

I've found a US $12.74 solution: 2in1 Bluetooth Transmitter & Receiver Wireless A2DP Home TV Stereo Audio Adapter.

1. Connect the transmitter's Receive red/white plug to the Fusion Audio In red/white plug.
2. Plug the transmitter's USB charger into the back of the Fusion.
3. Hold the transmitter's button down for 5 seconds until the light starts blinking blue (pairing mode).
4. Pair your Windows computer (it's called Headphones - RT-B6).
5. Dance a jig.

The only downside is you can only have one device connected at a time (e.g., if you have music playing from your computer, you have to go to Windows Bluetooth devices and disconnect the transmitter before you can connect another device to the transmitter). Bearable for a $12.74 solution.
Old 24-05-2022, 00:12   #12

You could just buy a Bluetooth to rca Device. Then plug into the fusion aux input. Then connect to that instead. that is what I have at my non Bluetooth house stereo.

You won’t have stereo control. But will play music.

See comment. above. He beat me too it. My device is ac powered though.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 06:23   #13

Quote:
The only downside is you can only have one device connected at a time (e.g., if you have music playing from your computer, you have to go to Windows Bluetooth devices and disconnect the transmitter before you can connect another device to the transmitter). Bearable for a $12.74 solution.
Update: It appears there is one other downside - the range of this device is only about 10 meters and anytime there's something in the way (e.g., a wall, a door), range is reduced. As a result, the further your computer is from the device, the more potential for signal/music choppiness. Just FYI.

Damn Fusion and their piss-poor bluetooth decision.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:23   #14

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47

I'm using the Mii Bluetooth Receiver/Transmitter in receiver mode to feed from PC or Android phone into the Fusion's Aux Input. The Mii device will connect with two devices. Switching isn't seemless, you still need to connect the PC or the phone to get started. Range is limited, as b_ohare noted. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G8Q7NXZ for about $27.

Yes, dam* Fusion!
torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind