Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2011, 20:28   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Coursemaster vs Furuno Autopilot ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Thanks for your PM. I'd contact you, but you didn't leave any contact details. An e-mail adress would be handy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobarblue View Post
Yes that is correct, we also own a Salar40 and have recently purchased a 50ft power boat.

Nick
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 21:54   #17

Boat: Lightwave Catamaran 45ft MUSCAT

I have a Coursemaster, hydraulic steering, 45 foot cat, had some trouble setting it initially. Since then set and forget - very happy. 2 years ago had Raymarine on 38 foot cat - was not happy with it. No experience with Furuno
nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 22:07   #18

I love my Furuno autopilot. Drive unit is Simrad, but couldn't get Simrad autopilot in time, so Furuno came through instead. It "learns" as I use it......amazingly has NEVER gone off course......and is incredibly efficient. Somehow can anticipate how the boat will move.....I often think it should make a course correction....and it doesn't......and in another moment the boat goes back on course by itself. Mine is a heavy displacement, full keel, CT41 ketch, maybe that helps......go Furuno.
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 08:15   #19

Boat: Freydis 49

Owned a CM85i for 5 years now, Initially it never worked properly for long and had to be sent back for repair several times, they eventually replaced the control unit and it seems to work OK now although as I have installed another system I only have the coursemaster as a back up. The Navman that replaced it cost 1/2 as much and works twice as good.
As well as the problems i had with it I dont think it is user friendly, when it has a problem it just blanks out whereas other pilots give an indication of what the problem is and can show amp draw etc.
Old 21-04-2011, 07:39   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It sounds like the conclusion is that definitely the Furuno AP is the way to go, no comparison.

I want to add that the Furuno units look identical to the Simrad/Robertson units which are the best one can get imho. I am kinda convinced they are the same hardware.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 21-04-2011, 09:37   #21

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

I use a Coursemaster and it has good days and bad days, but it's my understanding they all do. I'm waiting for a GPS controlled system that's not dependent on a compass.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 10:35   #22

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
I use a Coursemaster and it has good days and bad days, but it's my understanding they all do. I'm waiting for a GPS controlled system that's not dependent on a compass.
I have the WH autopilot and though I only have about 1000 miles on it after a self install it does not have good days and bad days. It works fine going upwind but have not tested it going downwind in a seaway.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 15:40   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I have the WH autopilot and though I only have about 1000 miles on it after a self install it does not have good days and bad days. It works fine going upwind but have not tested it going downwind in a seaway.
I have both a WH autopilot and a Simrad/Robertson autopilot and can confirm these units don't have "bad days". Only bad, cheap, low quality equipment can perform in such a bad way that the user gets this "bad days" impression.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 21-04-2011, 16:14   #24

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

I have a Raytheon autopilot with hydraulic drive that ahs worked faultlessly up until last season when the fittings on the ram started to leak...but thats not a Raymarine problem... the hydraulic components on most autopilots are the same make.

I think proper sizing and good installation are the secrets to success.

If coursemaster really had all these problems consistently, that we hear here, surely they would either 1. fix them or 2. be out of business by now ?

I have never seen a Furuno autopilot.
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 16:54   #25
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Ive been using the navpilot for 6 yrs. They do in fact steer by gps in the nav and smart auto modes. Its impressive when hitting strong cross currents in the intracoastal when the boat compensates for the current and will crab across the current all the while keeping course. I give their customer service an A+ grade The one issue I had they sent a technician to Key West no charge for the extra drive time, paid for a slip for the day and extended our warranty for a year. They also sent us caps and t shirts. Kudos to Furuno for caring about their reputation and customers.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 14:16   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nils View Post
I have a Coursemaster, hydraulic steering, 45 foot cat, had some trouble setting it initially. Since then set and forget - very happy. 2 years ago had Raymarine on 38 foot cat - was not happy with it. No experience with Furuno
Well there's hope for my system yet! I have to say I'm so dissapointed in mine I've been looking at buying something else, leaving the CM as a backup. (In all honesty I couldn't sell it as is with a clear conscience)

I've been in contact with Cobarblue, and he mentioned getting someone to have a look at the system in Mooloolabah. I hadn't intended going to Mooloolabah, as anchoring is illegal, and we prefer to avoid marinas, but if they can actually get this thing to work maybe it would be worth it.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 15:22   #27

I've been looking at Furuno systems. They seem to be aimed at fishermen/trawler operators.

Do any of their models have the facility to steer to a wind angle?
Old 02-05-2011, 02:02   #28

44'cruisingcat,

have you got any further feedback about your problems with the Coursemaster? Have you solved the issues?

I am wanting to upgrade my old Coursemaster, because I have also problems with the off-course alarm. The autopilot will let the boat go off course and instead of counter-steering it just complains and does nothing. But reading about your problems, I have got even more doubts about buying a Coursemaster.

I heard from several persons, that the Coursemaster is very sensitive to a correct installation and will not give any hints about what is wrong. In one case, the compass was not installed in the right position. In another case the rudder sensor was not completely centered and the Coursemaster would not initialize at all.

Simon
simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 18:27   #29

Coursemaster have sent me a new CM840 "junction box" (it's actually the "brain" of the unit), and are sending a new rudder reference unit.

Waiting to see what kind of improvement this will bring.
Old 29-05-2011, 19:24   #30

Boat: Freydis 49

Good luck with setting up your Coursemaster, Simon is correct in saying the rudder reference unit has to be perfectly centered or the unit just does not initiate, also make sure you have no metallic or magnetic material close to the compass, they seem to be very sensitive.

Tags
autopilot