Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2011, 01:50   #31

Re: Coursemaster vs Furuno Autopilot ?

Yeah I've experienced that with the rudder sensor. It's quite easy to set up though. The old one seemed to lose it's centre fairly regularly, so I've had practice.

The compass is at least 1 1/2 metres from any other electronics so should be OK. I might try an alternate location though.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 04:04   #32

Boat: deboated

Coursemaster have a very good reputation so dumping heavily on a product without hearing from the other side, manufacturer, is a little unfair. Installation can and does make or break a product even Furuno. Furuno equipment has a very good reputation internationally as well. It is my brand of choice for all sailing instrumentation, radar etc.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 15:09   #33

The OP asked for owner's opinions based on their experience, which is what I have posted.

If people have had a good experience with their autopilot, whatever brand it is, including Coursemaster, they are free to post.
Old 30-05-2011, 19:39   #34

Boat: Freydis 49

Yes, the value or these forums are for like minded people to share their knowledge of equipment and customer service they have had first hand experience with; good or bad.
Opinionated criticism does not contribute anything constructive to this thread.
Old 30-05-2011, 19:54   #35

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I've been looking at Furuno systems. They seem to be aimed at fishermen/trawler operators.

Do any of their models have the facility to steer to a wind angle?
The Navpilot 500 has it.

http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocu...s%20Manual.pdf
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 00:27   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacey16 View Post
Yes, the value or these forums are for like minded people to share their knowledge of equipment and customer service they have had first hand experience with; good or bad.
Opinionated criticism does not contribute anything constructive to this thread.
They can also be used by vested interests to bag products and services unfairly. Easy to write bad press but I am sure in this case the poster will keep us up to date with the outcome, problem caused by etc not just the negative beginning.
Old 31-05-2011, 15:01   #37

Not sure just what "vested interest" you might think I have, but in reality all I am interested in is having a good reliable autopilot on my boat.

And I'd say Coursemaster is genuinely making every effort to make that happen. They've sent me a replacement course computer, and yesterday I recieved a replacement rudder reference unit, and a new control head, in case the new RRU doesn't rectify the false rudder angle indication.

All parts have been delivered with a pre-paid return post bag, so there has been no cost to me.
Old 31-05-2011, 16:09   #38

I said some and then said I am sure in this case the poster will keep us informed as you have know done. Most do not they just write the bad bit and then disappear not filling in the end result. I just do not like products getting bad press undeserved which happens all to often. I have never used or owned a coursemaster product but have only ever heard good reports so to suddenly read your post caught my attention. If they are not as good as I was led to believe I and others would be interested to know for future buying choice. Like I said about Furuno they have a good reputation and my personnal experience matched. I did have a problem which I could very easily have written about blaming them for the trouble but truth was it had nothing to do with the product itself but all to do with a bad installion. Most products at some stage have a problem so the back up can be just as important as the performance so its sounds like in that area they are performing well. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 16-08-2012, 01:13   #39

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Keen for an update here as well as I am about to pull the trigger on a Coursemaster 850i myself
Old 16-08-2012, 13:49   #40

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

To late, trigger pulled.

Old 30-12-2012, 14:54   #41

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I know this thread is VERY old, and posting to it seems silly, but people like me do end up reading these old threads for various reasons.

I thought it should be pointed out that the Coursemaster has a Helm Alert alarm that can cause the sorts of symptoms described in post number 6. (mine was going off every four minutes and required me to acknowledge the alarm by pressing any key on the control panel, this can be switched off on my model) It was driving me nuts for a while till I found that it could be turned off. The idea is good, you know, keeping you alert and not just leaving things to the autopilot but I decided to trust myself to keep a good watch instead.
Sorry to wake an old thread, but it seemed important to me.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 20:46   #42

I was aware of the helm alert alarm. It wasn't that. The pilot would alarm it was off course when in fact it was on course. This would only happen in Nav mode.

But it in heading mode it would often be way off course, enough to be in alarm, yet would have little or no rudder angle to correct it.

The wind angle steering was sometimes OK, other times just awful.

I took some video and posted it on youtube, and e-mailed a link to Coursemaster. They said it was very helpful, and sent me a new software chip. I have to admit, the wind angle steering wa smuch improved after that.

Here are the videos:
On this one, the AWA is 30 degrees, the CM85 thinks it's 53. Then I try tochange the angle, but the pilot just ignores these attempts. This was a common problem with it, but fixed with the new software.

100 8976 - YouTube

Off course by 10 degrees, but only 2 degrees rudder applied.

100 8417 - YouTube

On course (about as good as it got) but off course alarm going.

100 8499 - YouTube

Ultimately, Coursemaster sent their 2IC out to my boat to check the installation. He did not find fault with it. Not long after his visit the rudder reference unit started to fail again.

By this time, as we were planning some ocean passages, I had bought a new Simrad autopilot. (Which is absolutely fantastic!)

I had thought the CM85 would be useful as a backup, just in case. (As an earlier poster had done) But the rudder reference unit is not working again, so currently it isn't even any use as a spare.

I'd probably sell it, but my conscience would bother me, so right now it's still in the boat doing nothing.
Old 30-12-2012, 22:38   #43

Boat: 40ft fibreglass sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post

Ultimately, Coursemaster sent their 2IC out to my boat to check the installation. He did not find fault with it. Not long after his visit the rudder reference unit started to fail again.

By this time, as we were planning some ocean passages, I had bought a new Simrad autopilot. (Which is absolutely fantastic!)

I had thought the CM85 would be useful as a backup, just in case. (As an earlier poster had done) But the rudder reference unit is not working again, so currently it isn't even any use as a spare.

Thanks for posting this follow-up on how things are panning out - always helpful to others.
Marqus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot