Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2021, 08:51   #1

Cheap digital weather stations on boats.

I'm wondering if anyone has used and had luck with cheap digital "weather stations" in a marine application.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weath...2974676&sr=8-5

I've been looking for a classy barometer for my boat. I really like the Weems and Plath Bluewater barometer, which would go nice with my 1960's Chelsea Clock Co clock. $80 is a lot, but doable. A Chelsea Clock Co. barometer at $275 is insane and I would not buy one even though a matching set would be nice.

So as the internet do it shows me "what other people have bought" and I see that they make tide clocks, thermometers, hygrometers, and zulu clocks for GMT and the gadget guy in me is like OOOOOH SHINY. But $$$!

So I pop over to see what is available in the digital realm thinking it will be cheaper and there are a lot of stations like this https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weath...2974676&sr=8-5

Has anyone had any luck with these "home" models on their boat?

And no, I don't want to hear how your marine instruments costing thousands are the only way to go. I don't need any of these things, at all. Full stop. But if I can spend $150 and get them, I might. Lets keep the discussion strictly to if anyone has had luck with something similar to what I have linked. Not why you know it would never work even though you haven't tried it. That doesn't help. Don't answer questions not asked, please.

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:26   #2

Boat: Borrensen BB-10
Re: Cheap digital weather stations on boats.

Look into Raspberry Pi with a barometric chip, aenorometer chip, etc, a little displal, power supply. With a little python coding you can make your own for chump change.
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:38   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

We've had a La Crosse weather station (with wind) for many years (>8 yrs); outdoor parts have finally failed. It was only C$70, and I wish I had bought a spare. (Makes more sense to me compared to several hundred $ for a "marine" system.)

Especially liked its barometric history plot (which is still working, along with indoor temp, forecast, etc.)

Currently investigating similar systems on Amazon to replace ours.

Be careful to find one that is battery powered, not 110/220v.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:19   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We've had our Davis Vantage Vue up for ~8 yrs. A little more expensive than others but we like the features of barometric audible alarms along w/a relatively rapid wind data update (every 2.5 seconds).
The barometric alarm has warned us several times of approaching storms and the wind indicator could be used as a back up to the masthead mounted wind sensor due to its quick response. We originally purchased a cheaper unit and it had a very long refresh rate for data (>30 sec.) which we returned since that wasn't acceptable (read the manual thoroughly before purchasing).

As mentioned previously if you just want barometric, etc. readings/graphing then purchase a Rpi and add a HAT w/the sensors you would like. We have the barometer chip added to the IMU board attached to our pypilot. We get barometer readings up on our ocpn dashboard. Since we have the alarms set up on the Davis VV, haven't looked into doing the audible alarms on the Rpi, but believe it could be done.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:24   #5

Oh nice to hear that some people have had some luck with them! I'll keep it in mind

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:26   #6

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

I’ve been looking at the Tempest remote station to capture weather data on some remote property. I haven’t used one yet, but they appear well made and are getting good reviews.

In case it is of interest for your needs.

Cheers! Bill
Old 11-02-2021, 11:43   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
I’ve been looking at the Tempest remote station to capture weather data on some remote property. I haven’t used one yet, but they appear well made and are getting good reviews.

Interesting unit w/an extra long battery life (solar recharged) and no moving parts. Wish the manual was better re: the app.

Would be great if it had alarm features and a quick data refresh rate similar (or better) than the Davis VV I mentioned previously.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 13:15   #8

Boat: MB50

I had a LaCrosse unit with anemometer installed on my boat. My experience was not great
It lasted about one year. The display is set up for AC power, the rain gauge is useless and the anemometer is dependent upon the boat heading, so really it is useless as well.
Since then I installed a B&G Triton 2. It is not a complete weather station but It is a much better unit, best of all it can send wind data to the autopilot to stear following the wind.
Mauro47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 13:17   #9

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Interesting unit w/an extra long battery life (solar recharged) and no moving parts. Wish the manual was better re: the app.

Would be great if it had alarm features and a quick data refresh rate similar (or better) than the Davis VV I mentioned previously.
I understand, Bill. It doesn’t yet tick all the boxes for me either...

It was a Kickstarter less than a year ago. I’m watching to see if it will mature into something more than a stationary unit dependent upon full time live online-only Wx data gathering device.

On the boat, my Maretron WSO 100 suits my needs nicely, but is now deprecated. Airmar has a similar unit but I have no hands-on with the Airmar 120WX yet...

Crossing fingers.

Cheers! Bill
Old 13-02-2021, 06:59   #10

Boat: Sea Sport Voyager 30'

Previous owner of my boat installed this unit, and I’ve grown to really like it.

https://www.lacrossetechnology.com/products/ws-9037u-it

It’s not made by LaCrosse any longer, unfortunately, but it’s pretty informative. Main unit runs on 3 AA batteries, which I change out once a year. It sits on a little stand near the helm. The remote sensor (2 AA batts) is mounted out in the cockpit to provide outside temp data. It’s not fancy but I like it.
GWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 07:23   #11

My Accurite system requires AC for the display . It uses battery backup for memory backup.
MikeHoncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 07:43   #12

I've had good experiences with temp/humidity/pressure sensors (BME280) and Arduinos and ESP8266/ESP32 - like $20 in parts total. So I'm certain that a lot is possible without being expensive.

I'm less confident in cheap external wind sensors; I haven't yet seen a cheap set that looks like it would survive for long in marine use.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 08:06   #13

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

I have the lacrosse view at home. It works with cell phone app, but nothing else as far as I know. Having to pull out your cell phone to check which way the wind is blowing seems dumb, and it only shows the direction as a text value, like NNW or SE etc. It would fit into your budget though.
Personally I like the look of the Raymarine i60 and i70.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 08:26   #14

I experimented with Arduino ESP8266 with BMP280 barometer chip. Works great; however, it never made it to the boat. Installation, wiring and aesthetics prevented me from permanently installing on the boat. Instead, I bought a Sunroad FR500, a small, inexpensive multifunction barometer w/history for around $20,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNROAD-FR500-outddoor-Waterproof-Multifuncion-barometric-altimeter-hygrometer-/193582468959?hash=item2d126a0f5f

This has a rechargeable battery, which lasts about 2 months, gives temperature, baro pressure & history all in a very small unit. Just a bit of velcro to secure next to the nav-station; no fuss, no wiring, works well, though the instructions are not very good and it takes a while to understand the screen display sequencing.

Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 08:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
My Accurite system requires AC for the display . It uses battery backup for memory backup.

I'm assuming you mean it has an AC adaptor (wall-wart) for the display. It's (relatively) easy to get efficient DC to DC adaptors to use your boat's 12v.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cheap, weather