Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2007, 16:22   #1

Anyone know of a PC based Nav prog. that is compatible with Vista

I was considering Cap'n. . . I am buying a new laptop with a Blue-Ray drive, and Dell is telling me I cant run the Blue Ray drive with XP. . . any info is greatly appreciated, thanks, Dustin
dustinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:20   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
I was just looking at that..... Fugawi Marine ENC. This is the cheapest price I found online so far. Fugawi Marine ENC

But if you go to their website you can download a free 10 day demo to check it out.
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:43   #3
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
You might spend a few minutes and download Seaclear II for free and give it a try. It uses the free NOAA charts in BSB format and works just fine with XP
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:49   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I am particular to Nobeltec for all its features and relative ease of use. I just went in to their site to see if it is compatible with Vista. I could not find an answer. Their support number is 800 732-2800

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:03   #5

Boat: Stevens 47
I've been testing a bunch of navigation programs and like Coastal Explorer by Rose Point Navigation Rose Point Navigation Systems the best. I use a laptop with XP. The Rose Point website claims that Coastal Explorer works with Vista (they are ex Microsoft employees –for better or worse).

I find the software to be reasonably priced, very stable, and have a nice compliment of features (excellent route planning, some virtual instruments, easy to learn, etc.). I have no connection to the company. The current version is 1.1, but I've heard that a new version is due out any time.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 15:41   #6

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
I am currently cruising south with a new Lap top running vista. Not my choice but you can hardly buy a new platform witout it. I have Nobletech and it works fine.

Will

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 15:45   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
If you are sailing outside of the US Coastal Explorer may not be your best choice.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 16:27   #8

Boat: Stevens 47
True enough on limited international charts for Coastal Explorer. I'm fond of getting the entire US for free; Canadian charts and charts from Maptech also work fine. I called Rose Point about this and they said that in 2008 they will offer charts with complete world coverage.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 19:48   #9

Boat: Lagoon 380 Owners Version
I just came from Michigan to Charleston South Carolina. Sea Clear, and the free charts from NOAA worked fine for me. Only draw back is you are limited to US and the Bahamas.

I've taken a look at Nobletec, and Mapsouce, and it basically looks like they use the same exact charts. you just get more bells and whistles with those programs.
chad.lawie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 20:36   #10
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I'm glad to see someone else noticed that short of the bells and whistles, SeaClear is exactly the same chart information. I've often wondered why people who never leave US waters pay big bucks for what can be a free chart plotter.

SeaClear GPS Navigation Software

And I have to mention that I'm not affiliated in any way. Just a satisfied customer.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:40   #11

And looking at it from the other side... you don't need vista to play blu-ray. Google it - people are using XP with their blu-ray drives. Cyberlink powerdvd ultra runs under xp and can play from blu-ray.
Caspar_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:26   #12

Hmmmm.

great info, thanks everyone. I am only getting Vista because the machine comes with it. . . so at least I know I can run either Vista or XP, I figured the blue ray player/writter with HDMI output will be nice for life aboard. It takes up no additional space, can be run from the 12V system, and can be hooked up to my Hi-Def LCD with one cable. . .
dustinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 23:18   #13

Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Oddesy DS, 42, Zofia
Hi,

A little late, however, you may read this. To solve Vista issues try turning off 'User Account Control' (under control panel users accounts. Alternatively when installing spftware keep it away from the program files folder.
Old 27-08-2008, 03:05   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I struggled with this for a year having my onboard laptop with XP configured for all my Nav programs and my new Vista laptop being the back-up Nav solution as well as my business laptop.

Both function with Bluetooth drivers but Vista using “One Care” was never consistent with the Nav programs as “One Care” would seem to keep changing basic parameters.

Finally I gave up with the pre-loaded Vista and had it re-configured to XP.

Everything works great, mirror image of each other, very stable with Bluetooth and the new x-vista laptop just screams with speed.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote