Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 05:56   #1

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc
Advice on Raymarine network

I have a E7D chartplotter on my 33ft Ketch. It has GPS, Depth, Speed. I also have a ST6002 Autopilot with a SPX computer, and I have a remote for it. There is a ST60+ wind instrument.

The E7D talks to the autopilot and transfers track information.
The Autopilot does not know about depth or speed, when I use the remote it gives me heading and I can change the heading, but it does not read out the speed or depth information. Is there a way to get the Autopilot to read the depth and speed from the E7D and display it on the remote?

The E7D and Autopilot does not get wind speed and wind direction data from the Wind Instrument, so I cannot do WindVane mode on the chartplotter. Any idea why that would be? It is wired Seatalk to the SPX.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:28   #2

Re: Advice on Raymarine network

If it's all seatalk it should be working. I would trace out all the wiring and make sure it's all tight and ok.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:45   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
I have a E7D chartplotter on my 33ft Ketch. It has GPS, Depth, Speed. I also have a ST6002 Autopilot with a SPX computer, and I have a remote for it. There is a ST60+ wind instrument.

The E7D talks to the autopilot and transfers track information.
The Autopilot does not know about depth or speed, when I use the remote it gives me heading and I can change the heading, but it does not read out the speed or depth information. Is there a way to get the Autopilot to read the depth and speed from the E7D and display it on the remote?

The E7D and Autopilot does not get wind speed and wind direction data from the Wind Instrument, so I cannot do WindVane mode on the chartplotter. Any idea why that would be? It is wired Seatalk to the SPX.
Sounds to me like the ST60 instruments are not connected properly to any STNG<->ST1 converter or to the SPX course computer's SeaTalk1 network. The SPX has SeaTalkNG AND SeaTalk1 natively, as does the e7d, but the ST60 instruments are SeaTalk1 only.

Yiou may be able to reconfigre the older Seatalk instrument cabling to connect to the ST6002, to bring all the data into the same network, or it could be easier to use a Raymarine SeaTalkNG<->SeaTalk1 converter to connect the older instruments into the SeaTalkNG network.

First, trace the cables and draw a diagram of how all the dispays, mfd, and st6002 are connected to each other. Share the diagram with us to get a better recommendation on how to resolve.
Old 05-03-2019, 14:31   #4

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

The original ray stng2st1 converter was the culprit in my case, they do not work in both directions and only with limited data sets. But at those days even ray ais500, equipped with a proud ng- connector did not talk to an e120 with a ng connection, ais data was only accepted by nmea0183 @ 48000 baud. My problem was then solved with an intelligent (programmable) 3rd party multiplexer. I use shipmodul, just make sure you can program it or you will create data loops flooding your system
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
The original ray stng2st1 converter was the culprit in my case, they do not work in both directions and only with limited data sets. But at those days even ray ais500, equipped with a proud ng- connector did not talk to an e120 with a ng connection, ais data was only accepted by nmea0183 @ 48000 baud. My problem was then solved with an intelligent (programmable) 3rd party multiplexer. I use shipmodul, just make sure you can program it or you will create data loops flooding your system
The STNG<->ST1 Does work in both directions... Keep in mind there have been many software updates for the converter that adds new features and fixes old issues.

Page 45 of the manual shows the list of supported PGNs converted in both directions.

GPS, Depth, Wind, Speed, and XTE (A/P) are all bi-directional between SeaTalkNG and SeaTalk1.

On the flip side the SeaTalkNG<->0183 mode is very limited.

Tags
marine, raymarine