Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 06:19   #1

Cockpit computer monitor mount

I've had a waterproof 15" daylight viewable monitor in the cockpit of my ketch for 10 years and will probably replace it with a similar model this spring. The display has a RAM mount on the back of it and has been attached to a RAM arm mounted to the back of the mizzen. It's a good spot for the monitor at the forward end of the cockpit and has worked fine--but it just doesn't look that great with the back of the monitor and all the attached cables exposed.

I'd like to build or buy some sort of enclosure to surface mount the monitor on so the installation looks a little more neat and clean. NavPods are great but pretty expensive and I don't think they even make one big enough (the monitor is 14.5" x 11.5".)

Does anyone have any solutions that they want to share? And if there is a thread on this somewhere else on the forum I've missed that would be great too.

Thanks.
willyritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:28   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Cockpit computer monitor mount

Electrical boxes can work and are a reasonable price if you can get one with the dimensions you require. They look a bit vanilla, but it is what it is. If you do go this route, just be aware of the different plastics these things are made from. You'd choose one made from a plastic spec'd for outdoor architectural use (or something described along those lines) as this is a non yellowing UV resistant plastic.

The other option is to make your own enclosure out of fibreglass. An interesting project if you're into this sort of thing. There's a 1/4" honeycomb core material that is ideal for this kind of project, I just can't think of it's name offhand.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, monitor