Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2020, 08:26   #151

Re: YouTube Sailors - Overly Romanticized Or Just Lacking Details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Back in the dino days of TV sit-coms, you always knew the show was nearing its end when they wrote in the baby or toddler character. Kinda the kiss of death .

I thought it was when Fonzi jumped the shark tank.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 05:30   #152

Re: YouTube Sailors - Overly Romanticized Or Just Lacking Details?

I like the French guy who says 'No big deal' as the world crashes down around him (The Sailing Frenchman). And Sean Penn blasting around the backwaters of Indonesia (Learning By Doing Sailing). Ian Van Tuyl showing us the 'features and benefits' and what is 'quite nice' on a boat as he noses around someone's yacht always goes down well with a cuppa

Most of the others are nails-down-a-blackboard. Like 'Adventures Of An Old SeaScrounger'. Or just dull. Who would've thought that so many people would watch a guy fix a toilet, or mount a rudder, or lay fibre glass at Benny Hill speed for 20 minutes. The BBC and ITV could've saved a fortune on programming.

And then there are those where I'm just thinking, "What the hell are you doing to yourself and why?" There's a guy who's drifting across the cold parts of the Atlantic in something resembling a plastic bathtub with a duvet hoisted. He's been out there on his own, cold and wet, for weeks. Talking to a video camera. I suspect there'll be a few people in white coats, ready with the strait-jacket once he finally hits land.

One interesting thing that these YouTubers show us. Despite the burning of the bras and cries of equality, it's almost always the guy changing the oil and the woman cooking the dinner.

Finally, I'll bet a few of them have regretted pointing a camera at themselves. Fame, even within a small community, without the cash can be painful.
Mariefred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail