Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2020, 11:53   #136

Re: YouTube Sailors - Overly Romanticized Or Just Lacking Details?

I enjoy Sailing Uma myself, well made and those two have completely transformed their boat. They seem like really good people too.
FthrJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 13:17   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
You did talk about destination focus. You also--I believe--talked about making mistakes and learning as you go. That admittedly and I hope justifiably sets me off. There is just too much of that sort of thing.

I don't apologize for being harsh. This is the real world, and in the real world 95% (<- guessing) of sailing and cruising on YouTube is poor if not dangerous. The link above (not from you) to Top Secret is a good example.
Did you mean the work done on Top Secret is good, or that it’s dangerous?

(I actually mostly watch rebuild stuff to see interesting ideas for use of space, I’m not a sailor at all, but I do like to understand when people are doing things well or doing things in a dangerous/hazardous way. It helps contextualize the choices they’ve made about using the space which can be useful information when I’m trying to adapt their ideas for my own projects.)
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 13:44   #138

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
Did you mean the work done on Top Secret is good, or that it’s dangerous?
It's been some time since I watched the video and I don't have an eidetic memory. I don't recall seeing anything dangerous other than the discussion of whether electric propulsion at all make sense when one might encounter heavy weather. Different discussion. I think the economics of much of the work done on Top Secret doesn't make a lot of sense. Sure you can make a Ford Pinto into a road racer but you'll spend a lot.

I'd have to watch that painful half hour again for more detail. Who is going to pay for that time? *grin*
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 14:01   #139

Boat: Sabre 34II

Apologize for not going through the entire thread, just couldn't get myself scanning 10 pages.

Here is my opinion - most popular YouTube channels can be considered reality TV, they won't sell content if all they showed was grueling work to successfully cruise. Nothing wrong for dreamers and would-be-sailors cuz it's just TV for them, you wouldn't wanna jump off a building like Tom Cruise just because you liked Mission Impossible . Couple of my friends' wives' watch a few of these channels because they like them, they have no interest in being out on the water themselves. These videos are very difficult to make on a consistent basis and it's not uncommon for them to have "problem" titles to attract viewers. I also don't think it's inappropriate of them to request $$ for their videos because it seems like a full time job.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 14:44   #140

Quote:
It's been some time since I watched the video and I don't have an eidetic memory. I don't recall seeing anything dangerous other than the discussion of whether electric propulsion at all make sense when one might encounter heavy weather. Different discussion. I think the economics of much of the work done on Top Secret doesn't make a lot of sense. Sure you can make a Ford Pinto into a road racer but you'll spend a lot.

I'd have to watch that painful half hour again for more detail. Who is going to pay for that time? *grin*
Makes sense. I haven’t watched the full thing yet but I wasn’t seeing anything that seemed fundamentally unsafe in the interior design except maybe they didn’t seem to address emergency bail out options from the interior spaces. (I don’t want to be stuck inside the hull if there’s a serious problem or fire, y’know? But pointing out those things probably doesn’t fit the ‘luxury and relaxation’ vibe many of these channels are aiming for.) So I was wondering if I’d missed something.

(I know nothing about the value relative to the shell they used, though it sounds kind of like they had it anyway and went ‘eh, why not?’ where the ‘fun’ of the refit was part of what they were buying, essentially. My SO is that kind of person too, and we often have to go back and forth over where it’s worth it to put in the $$$ and where it isn’t, because I tend to focus on the end result where he is more willing to consider some of the cost paying for the ‘entertainment’ value of the project, essentially.)

As far as the propulsion - I’ve just been reading here a little and watching bits and pieces on YouTube (I don’t follow any of the channels regularly) and there seems to be a very different attitude towards preparedness and safety in a lot of people compared to how I am. (Admittedly, I am quite paranoid about such things. I think I missed my calling as some kind of safety officer or something.) So yes, when someone starts talking about being all electric and having something it sounds like it’s nearly impossible to sail without the electric winches and so on, I do start thinking ‘but what if...?’ but I assume maybe there is something I don’t know that addresses that potential problem, since I’m not sailing on it it’s safe to make that assumption.

I have already learned from watching/reading that if I get on a boat with anyone else I shouldn’t assume they’re as aware of safety as they perhaps should be. So I think that’s a useful reminder.

Anyway, sorry for all the rambling and thanks for answering my question.
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 23:45   #141

Boat: Still building

I get the criticism of the overly 'sexed up' channels, and it's interesting to note that at least two of my regularly watched channels experimented with this phenomenon, either deliberately or inadvertently, by using a 'sexy' name for their latest vlog, and got MASSIVELY HUGE numbers of "hits" compared to their 'normal' vids.

Apparently if you use the word 'naked' in a video title, the spybots cruising the net locate it and direct *not necessarily appropriate* traffic in your direction.

For example, both 'Free Range Sailing' and 'SV Sarean' experienced this, and were mortified by the experience. Having said that, SV Sarean also received 400-odd thousand 'hits' for a video titled 'How to Survive a Cyclone' - which featured them tied tight into a mangrove creek during a northern Australian cyclone. Their normal 'hit' number is around 20-30K..!! So clearly LOTS of people are concerned about 'what to do in a cyclone'.

I think I noticed 'Sailing Florence Around the World' also had a 'naked' title on one of their vids that clocked like 100x the 'normal' number of hits.

And apparently "hits = dollars" with YT advertising.....so this is clearly why *some* channels are more focused on bikini babes....and using the word 'naked' in video titles...

One that I like that deliberately tries NOT to do this is 'Free Range Sailing', who make a point even of not swearing so their channel can be viewed by anyone '8 to 80'. [NB: These guys are Aussies, so I am unashamedly 'boosting' my fellow countrymen].

Troy is an engineer, so it's worth watching and listening to his rationale for doing stuff. I don't always agree with him, but frequently think 'that's a good idea' when watching him attack a problem and devise a solution. He's even prompted me to devise alternate solutions of my own for similar problems/issues.

'Sailing Florence Around the World' are a UK couple who are 3 years into a 7 year journey, and they DO frequently show the downsides, like sailing through massive thunderstorms in the Malacca Straits recently, and explaining why they are anchoring at night by showing the brilliantly lit up fleets of Indonesian squid fishermen, not to mention vlogging loads of different FADs. They also are small dinghy sailors, and have a nesting sailing dinghy (which is enough to make them worth watching on its own IMHO) that they prefer to sail rather than motor, and often go for serious hikes, thereby seeing a lot more of their destinations than a boat-bound couple might.

FRS also often show Pascale curled into a ball on the sole of Mirrool, avoiding doing anything that might bring on an attack of seasickness, from which she seems to suffer, pretty stoically.

Another couple I've taken to watching recently, 'The Mer and the Man' (woeful name for a vlog), I at first thought "OMG. Train wreck in motion" when during their first 'sail' on a Hobie cat to Fraser Island, across Pumicestone Passage, they managed to hole one of the hulls and jury rig a patch with a role of duct tape they had fortunately packed. They then bought a 40' ply/glass catamaran for $1, and not long afterwards found out why, as it was riddled with rot, but with the enthusiasm of 20-yr-olds (which they are) they found a shipwright to assist and provide expert advice, which they followed explicitly, and did 90% of the hard yards themselves.
They are literally the couple who bought a $1 sailboat, and started from there, and although somewhat chaotic (they are Hippies as well, don't knock it) they seem to be doing the 'School of Hard Knocks 101' and still smiling and enjoying the journey.

'Sailing Project Atticus' I also enjoy, again mainly because they are pretty down to earth, and very much 'on a budget' (as am I, hence the focus on the Do-It-Yourselfers), and it's interesting to watch them reflecting back on the 3 years in the boatyard, rebuilding their piece of junk sailboat, and then the 3 years since they set out on their journey. Desiree is from Latin-American background, so speaks fluent Spanish, which has helped them in their trip around the Caribbean, and enabled them to get 'up close and personal' with the ordinary locals. So this provides additional insights that 'English-only' vloggers can't obtain.
They also talk about being frightened, and the highs and lows, and sometimes they don't hide particularly well that they are not really enjoying the heat, the weather, officialdom etc. So not all smiles nor beds of roses.

Another vlog I only recently started watching, 'Expedition Evans', I initially thought I would HATE, because the young couple in it are both fit and attractive, high achievers, **relentlessly upbeat** and **doggedly determined** to fix their badly broken Beneteau they got "cheap". I had to force myself to wade through vid after vid of grinding, sanding, cleaning etc, but have (despite myself) found myself chuckling and willing them on. As I am in the middle of a similar 'repair job' (to a ply/glass Farrier, not a 40' Bennie) I really can appreciate the sheer guts and determination to not give up. But I find myself longing for their young people's agility and lack of knee/back/neck etc problems.... Sigh.

I also wish we'd had You Tube when I was in my 20's or 30's, because I might have started on the sailing path at a much younger age, when sh1te like this would have been MUCH easier to achieve...

And I might be out there myslelf, like Lyn (and Larry) Pardey, or the Hiscocks, but I am finding that the vloggers keep me grounded and keep me inspired, even when my back is aching and the painkiller consumption goes through the roof...

But SV Delos et al leave me stone cold....

And this thread has pointed me towards a few vlogs I've not seen before, and reminded me of a couple I've 'flagged' but not yet 'consumed'.

As to the 'pushing' of Patreon, Paypal donations and 'Subscribe, subscribe, subscribe', you have to feel for them. Even if it's only a few extra grand a year, it's still nice to have, and for those like FRS, who are upfront about when that began to pay off for them, so they didn't have to keep stopping to work, it's clear there are enough of us 'vicarious viewers' interested enough to fund their travels.

So a big THANK YOU to all of you who are, in fact, helping to fund them, as my circumstances prevent me from assisting in any such way, at present (thanks COVID), and so MY enjoyment is at YOUR expense. So thank you, very much.

The above is all that I can do, at this stage of my journey. Hopefully my views/analysis will direct others towards those I enjoy, which will in turn help them continue. Scratch, scratch.

I've even picked up a few cooking tips, such as the existence of Panko crumbs! I had so not heard of them but, thanks to FRS's Pascale and Troy, they are now a permanent fixture on my shopping list.

So you never know what little tidbits you, too, might pick up!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:42   #142

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
I've even picked up a few cooking tips, such as the existence of Panko crumbs! I had so not heard of them but, thanks to FRS's Pascale and Troy, they are now a permanent fixture on my shopping list.
You can make your own Panko. https://www.spendwithpennies.com/panko-bread-crumbs/
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:41   #143

Quote:
Another 'Alt-Crumb' is crushed cornflakes.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:54   #144

I feel compelled to comment...as one of the "dreamer" want to be's that seem to be the target here.

I find some of these channels as an interesting escape...as a traditional western world 'professional'...career job, family, locked to a desk, etc.... they are a way to daydream and live vicariously... better in many ways than watching regular TV.
Kinda the same I suppose for internet forums too....

I'm not gullible enough to miss the fact that these little snippets of times they show aren't the whole picture. I believe most folks aren't!

As a rusty private pilot watching youtube flyers in my spare time, one of the channels I watch visited sailing lavagabond while they were in the Bahamas.

I was impressed how these folks had figured out how to make a living while on a permeant vacation..... lots about it appealed to me...spearfishing and simple living while traveling and visiting places
DW and I love to travel, mostly long weekend type stuff as time allows...but we always enjoy visiting new and interesting towns, interesting places, taking hikes, visiting shops and restaurants, etc... For several years we've had a taste of doing it by RV. RV life though, especially in the Eastern part of the US, is largely forced to being tied to RV parks and 'campgrounds'. Not so much off grid 'livin off the land'

Anyway, we like boating, I used to do a lot of diving, and there are many aspects about nomadic lifestyle I find appealing...so it was fun to add sailing to my time killing rotation.

I don't simply have time to check out all the suggestions mentioned here....
I enjoy Uma, Florence, La vaga, Ruby Rose, and lately Magic Carpet, project Evans, and a few others
She doesn't watch at all, but it was me talking about the Ruby Rose series in the French Canals that got my wife a little bit open to the idea of RVing by boat.

Just interesting to consider and learn about options as retirement nears.

and the money thing.... so what? I'm sure it's hard coming up with enough good content and pulling it all together.... & I can't even imagine putting my life out there like they do.... but I'm thankful that some of these do & I don't begrudge watching some adds on their behalf. And the patreon thing isn't so different than public radio....
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 21:24   #145
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I subscribed and have been watching quite a few of these recommended channels, especially during lockdown.

But lately, I'm unsubscribing from the ones where more than 10% of the content is of their child.

My intrests are all about sailing/boats/repairs/destinations.
......, not about reality personalities and their kids which they are evolving into with more marketing hype
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:30   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I subscribed and have been watching quite a few of these recommended channels, especially during lockdown.

But lately, I'm unsubscribing from the ones where more than 10% of the content is of their child.

......, not about reality personalities and their kids which they are evolving into with more marketing hype
Truer words were never spoken
Every new tooth or word mumbled
is not “Crazy” or “Awesome”
As any parent knows
Now I just drop in on some of the wooden
boat builders from time to time
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 13:03   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

I'm starting to filter rout some of those as well.
don't know if I have a number though...10% or otherwise...
The personal element can be entertaining for a bit...and if it's incidental to the location or what's going on, then I'm ok with some of it. After all, part of what appeals to me is living vicariously and a little bit of something I'd do with my kids...taking a hike or whatever, then I'm good with it.

I'm more annoyed with the sponsored interruption while the star talks about some great sponsor...the actual add breaks are on thing.... I'm ok with their monetizing the channel... but I find those other things annoying.
Old 07-12-2020, 13:35   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
I'm more annoyed with the sponsored interruption while the star talks about some great sponsor...the actual add breaks are on thing.... I'm ok with their monetizing the channel... but I find those other things annoying.
We don't mind the babies, two of the channels we watch happen to have babies, and we think it is interesting how the parents are handling a baby on board as well as being added to their living on a boat.

Now, the ad breaks are starting to get painful. Youtube hits us with advert breaks and now the video producers are starting to do so. It is getting a bit old. Thankfully, the worse offenders are not the sailing channels we watch.

Something like Delos's buy us a beer or t shirt is ok to us since it is not over the top and it is their brand but some of the channel are REALLY selling other products and pushing those products hard. That is annoying, and I either fast forward, or just go watch something else.

Some of the channels better be careful or they may kill the goose the laid the golden egg...

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:17   #149

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
We don't mind the babies, two of the channels we watch happen to have babies, and we think it is interesting how the parents are handling a baby on board as well as being added to their living on a boat.

Back in the dino days of TV sit-coms, you always knew the show was nearing its end when they wrote in the baby or toddler character. Kinda the kiss of death .
Old 08-12-2020, 07:58   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Back in the dino days of TV sit-coms, you always knew the show was nearing its end when they wrote in the baby or toddler character. Kinda the kiss of death .
ha ha...yes.
Also, when they'd start going "off set" to take family vacation trips to the grand canyon or other locations

Tags
sail