Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2015, 07:19   #796

Boat: porta bote
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

If or when they are still reading CF they are sitting in front of their screens and scratching their heads to find out the difference between a
Sail Yacht and a True Blue Water Boat, which could take some time.

Once the decision is made (questionable) for the right yacht, comes the question what to be. A real sailor, cruiser, live aboard or a simple boat bum.
So many questions and so few answers.

As always keep a hand width water under the keel

Martin a wannabee again.

CHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 12:27   #797

Boat: Pearson P30

I submit to you that the real answer lies between "real sailor" and "boat bum" . We all need to find are own level of incompetence to achieve our goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
P30Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 12:41   #798

Boat: 1977 Cheoy Lee 61' pilot house trawler

Hi all,
We are "on the hard" right now in Florida sitting on our new to us home in the water. After 20 years of planning we finally pulled the trigger (or plug
Retired, sold everything, moved to Florida, spent 4 months boat shopping and here we are.
61' cheoy lee trawler. Her names "harmony". Got her for a reasonable price which left us room to do what we're doing up front: new hull paint, engine rebuilds, new navionics, some custom cabinetry. Sweet Jesus. The movie "money pit" is our life right now. But won't she be sweet when she splashes?
So as "wannabes" we're making our dreams reality.
Gonna spend a year or so getting our sea legs in the Florida/Bahamas before going who knows where.
Thanks to all the salts on this board for being a wealth of knowledge and advice even tho it was vicariously thru others questions.
Cheers!
Todd

napadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 16:13   #799

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by napadiver View Post
Hi all,
We are "on the hard" right now in Florida sitting on our new to us home in the water. After 20 years of planning we finally pulled the trigger (or plug
Retired, sold everything, moved to Florida, spent 4 months boat shopping and here we are.
61' cheoy lee trawler. Her names "harmony". Got her for a reasonable price which left us room to do what we're doing up front: new hull paint, engine rebuilds, new navionics, some custom cabinetry. Sweet Jesus. The movie "money pit" is our life right now. But won't she be sweet when she splashes?
So as "wannabes" we're making our dreams reality.
Gonna spend a year or so getting our sea legs in the Florida/Bahamas before going who knows where.
Thanks to all the salts on this board for being a wealth of knowledge and advice even tho it was vicariously thru others questions.
Cheers!
Todd

Good luck to you.
Old 24-02-2015, 20:08   #800

Boat: Passport 40

My husband and I were talking about this just last night. Still die hard wannabes. For the longest time I suffered from major depression. I had no dreams, my life was void of any hope. As I got better slowly I started working on my bucket list as I felt I had been given a new lease on life. I have run two marathons, gotten a black belt in Tae kwon do, moved overseas, and finally I will own a boat and sail where I want to go. Time and money are the factors. I have four years until the youngest graduates high school and the oldes college. Less worried about college than I am about HS. Being a wanna be is not a bad thing. It means I have the ability to dream again.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 16:05   #801

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

just finished a week with blue water sailing, asa101 103 104 and now at point pleasant by coki beach at a condo, diving some. Not happy with 43 ft. monohull, going to try catamaran next year. Idea of traveling from island to island on boat sounds good, but with 5 on the boat and the four bedroom set up, pretty small. not shifting to condo until I give the catamaran a try, as I really liked sailing. Won't know until next year if still a wannabe.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 16:31   #802

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Congrats to napadiver!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 18:21   #803

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah

Here's my short story. A failed relationship put the cruising dreams to rest for a few years. I kept the boat, stayed living aboard, returned to school for two years (boat living, even with upgrades and repairs is still cheaper than rent in this city). Met a new man (also with the cruising dream) and taught him to sail. Sailed weekends and vacations as much as we could. Fixed, puttered and maintained when not sailing or studying.

A new boat we are considering brought me back here just recently. Offer placed, just waiting on details (so excited!)

So in short, I'm not cruising as much as I would like. But we live aboard my wee 32', the dream isn't dead, we are out as often as we can be, lots of nights at anchor, have mostly avoided the "Buy the gear!" Syndrome, we don't hate each other despite our living arrangements, we added a black lab to the cruising family, we hike and explore our area, and hope to do the BC central coast (his home town area) or Haida gwaii or Alaska in the next few years.

Livin' the life!

Sent from my XT1034 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
serah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 12:09   #804

I've been a member of the forum a year and 4 months now, and still only a 'couch sailer', as it were. But that doesn't mean I've lost my way. I always knew it was a long-term project, and I am working towards it.

I was going to start sailing this year, but a very intense Sports Massage Course is pushing that back till next year, although I may still find my way onto the water some this year. I'm being A LOT more serious about clearing debts, saving money and shedding all my 'stuff'. My heart is set to live on a boat, and that's where I'll be.

I'm chewing through Sailing book like candy, listing to podcasts like Sail Loot, and learning everything I can about sailing and what life will be like.

I will see you on the water.

MG
Old 26-03-2015, 12:15   #805
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieGirl View Post
I've been a member of the forum a year and 4 months now, and still only a 'couch sailer', as it were.
Nothing wrong with that. I was a CF member at least a year before I ever stepped foot on a sailboat. That was part of my deciding if i even really wanted to. Now I'm on my second boat.

I think the real question of the thread is about people who join and blast in with "how to cross an ocean" thread and then just disappear.
Old 26-03-2015, 12:17   #806
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieGirl View Post
I've been a member of the forum a year and 4 months now, and still only a 'couch sailer', as it were. But that doesn't mean I've lost my way. I always knew it was a long-term project, and I am working towards it.

I was going to start sailing this year, but a very intense Sports Massage Course is pushing that back till next year, although I may still find my way onto the water some this year. I'm being A LOT more serious about clearing debts, saving money and shedding all my 'stuff'. My heart is set to live on a boat, and that's where I'll be.

I'm chewing through Sailing book like candy, listing to podcasts like Sail Loot, and learning everything I can about sailing and what life will be like.

I will see you on the water.

MG
as they say "slowly slowly catchee monkey!",you will get there sooner or later if your heart is set on it
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 14:54   #807
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
My husband and I were talking about this just last night. Still die hard wannabes. For the longest time I suffered from major depression. I had no dreams, my life was void of any hope. As I got better slowly I started working on my bucket list as I felt I had been given a new lease on life. I have run two marathons, gotten a black belt in Tae kwon do, moved overseas, and finally I will own a boat and sail where I want to go. Time and money are the factors. I have four years until the youngest graduates high school and the oldes college. Less worried about college than I am about HS. Being a wanna be is not a bad thing. It means I have the ability to dream again.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Good for you..Congratulations...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 14:55   #808
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

We are still wannabees, but getting closer than ever to becoming full time cruisers.

We're happy to answer any questions for anyone preparing to do the same since we're experiencing the preparation phase right now as we speak and are learning a lot along the way!

Long time, no sea. - COUCH SAILORS
Old 27-03-2015, 19:16   #809

Boat: Cannadian Sailcraft, CS36T

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i would love to hear from some of the posters that join the forum with great plans,use our knowledge,tell us how they are going to do it,then nothing....

here is a recent one that never amounted to much:

SeeWorld TV with Jon Charron | An 8 Month Sailing Adventure Across The South Pacific – LA To Australia Through The French Polynesians
Since your post seems to have legs.... I joined almost 5 yrs ago, and I don't post. I'm definitely a wannabee and I love this forum. I just don't feel like I have much to contribute (I'm learning, relatively &quot;new&quot. I've belonged to a couple different sailing clubs, taken a couple ASA courses, and I bought a CS 36T last year.

I don't post much because I don't like hearing about the bashing about the 10yr plan bs... I'm halfway there @ 41 with a wife who's loving the sailing we've been doing (in SF Bay (Sausalito)). We'll probably have to wait a little past the 10yr plan to get our kids through college, but we are loving it. We sail almost every Saturday from Sacramento, CA to our berth just next to the Golden Gate.

So, keep up all your (regulars) posts. Us wannabees appreciate and learn from them (immensely).
gwcrmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 19:26   #810
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

LOL...
Reckon your well past the 'Wannabe' stage folks..
Yup.. your defitintely outa the wannabeonaboatonthewateroneday stage..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote