Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2021, 12:08   #1

Whale avoidence

Hi all sea fairing folks.
I plan on sailing from Brisbane to Sydney the 1st weak of June. I understand that this is the time that Humpback Whales migrate north.
I am inquiring how to avoid them if possible. How far off the coast is favourable to avoid them.
I'd hate to bump in to one.

Cheers
Red 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:40   #2

Re: Whale avoidence

Best way to avoid whales would be not to sail at all.

Cheers.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 13:44   #3

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

When sailing (not motoring) around whales we keep some music on so as to announce our presence. No proof that it works but We have never hit a whale, can’t say the same for turtles.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 14:05   #4

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom

I’ve hit a humpback and if you can see whales keep a distance. Don’t think a hell of a lot pro avoidance can be done. They can be asleep on the surface and are very low in the water and hard to see. I talked with commercial fisherman here in Alaska that have hit them as well. Just part of being alive risk and sailing.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 14:14   #5

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. You don’t say what size or type of boat or what is your cruising speed. Can you have a lookout forward at night. They are acoustic mammals. Not sure a depth sounder or music will wake them. No science on this in the ocean.
Sometimes you can smell them...whalers wrote this.
Chances are pretty low. I wouldn’t be overly concerned unless you hit a sperm whale. Whalers log books might give you some local knowledge.
There are marine mammal experts in every university. Might ask there.
If you hit a manatee, they just throw beer cans at you, but Dugongs might have more firepower.
Watch out for the fierce bad orcas...they get their kraken friends to break your rudder and drag you under... never to be seen again. :nonono
Happy trails to you.
Mark and his manatee crew trying to pronounce Dew Gong correctly.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 14:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomodore View Post
When sailing (not motoring) around whales we keep some music on so as to announce our presence. No proof that it works but We have never hit a whale, can’t say the same for turtles.
Patrick lane has a utube video where he plays classical music to whales ,he ends up surrounded by a pod and quite clearly becomes scared
laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 14:39   #7

Boat: 45f5

Is becoming more and more of an issue to the coast. Are you sailing straight through or hoping your way down? Easier to see them in daylight hours but we have nearly hit a few dozing just on the surface. Have seen them in 9m up so can be in any depth. Historically we try to head deeper into the EAC and this seems to be better if going straight through. Get the conveyor belt ride as well.
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 15:17   #8

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomodore View Post
It doesn't work.

We have had whales surface in front of us and actually go under bow
We have a large engine running AND music
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 16:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by laird View Post
Patrick lane has a utube video where he plays classical music to whales ,he ends up surrounded by a pod and quite clearly becomes scared
Lol i won't be playing classical.... ACDC and Metallica maybe the go.
Old 11-06-2021, 16:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo19.5 View Post
Is becoming more and more of an issue to the coast. Are you sailing straight through or hoping your way down? Easier to see them in daylight hours but we have nearly hit a few dozing just on the surface. Have seen them in 9m up so can be in any depth. Historically we try to head deeper into the EAC and this seems to be better if going straight through. Get the conveyor belt ride as well.
Hey, I'm a bit of a newbie. I'm sailing a 50ft cc
Please explain the conveyor belt and when and how it works. I think your talking about the current.
Old 11-06-2021, 16:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Hi. You don’t say what size or type of boat or what is your cruising speed. Can you have a lookout forward at night. They are acoustic mammals. Not sure a depth sounder or music will wake them. No science on this in the ocean.
Sometimes you can smell them...whalers wrote this.
Chances are pretty low. I wouldn’t be overly concerned unless you hit a sperm whale. Whalers log books might give you some local knowledge.
There are marine mammal experts in every university. Might ask there.
If you hit a manatee, they just throw beer cans at you, but Dugongs might have more firepower.
Watch out for the fierce bad orcas...they get their kraken friends to break your rudder and drag you under... never to be seen again. :nonono
Happy trails to you.
Mark and his manatee crew trying to pronounce Dew Gong correctly.
Hi manateeman
I'm sailing a Bavaria Ocean 47 cc
Old 11-06-2021, 16:23   #12

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 5 View Post
Hey, I'm a bit of a newbie. I'm sailing a 50ft cc
Please explain the conveyor belt and when and how it works. I think your talking about the current.
Yes. Apollo is referring to the East Australia Current (EAC).

Check out this forecast animation to see expected track and speeds. All other things being equal, getting out in the current is a great way to head south. The other direction not so much.

https://www.windy.com/-Show---add-mo....614,150.458,7
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 16:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Yes. Apollo is referring to the East Australia Current (EAC).

Check out this forecast animation to see expected track and speeds. All other things being equal, getting out in the current is a great way to head south. The other direction not so much.

https://www.windy.com/-Show---add-mo....614,150.458,7
Thanks for the app and advice
Old 11-06-2021, 17:45   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Whale avoidence

Dunno about the East coast of Oz, but travelling down the West coast to Perth we had family groups all around us.. some came close enough to look em in the eye but never once felt threatened, we were all heading in the same direction and were I guess part of the migration..
An awesome experience..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 18:12   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I think it's the luck of the draw.....whales...containers....floating debris.....little difference...

During the day, it's possible....if you see them in time.... to take avoiding action...but at night.....no such luck...

It's a throw of the dice if it's just one whale or a whole pod of them...and whether or not they have young one's in attendance..

There have been some notable "whale attacks" recorded in various and sundry books..but quite honestly, you likely have a better chance of being struck by lightning than being attacked by a whale......noise, engines on, music, hull color, who knows....likely makes little difference.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc