Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 15:37   #166

Boat: 36' Krogen Manatee
Re: There is a special place in hell for SOB's that do not secure their halyards

When this happens normally there is no one around that cares, I hop onboard and put a bungee on the line pull it off to a shroud and sleep good. To those of you that live with it, good for you, I know others like me appreciate not hearing the slapping all night and enjoy the nature sounds.
Kk36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 15:51   #167

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: There is a special place in hell for SOB's that do not secure their halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltechmd View Post
I keep 6 ft cable locks on board. Go to vessel wrap cable around multiple times and lock it and leave. Let them deal with it. Let them use bolt cutters and deal with it. One left it on for two seasons. Ha enjoy.
Get real!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 16:13   #168

Boat: Tartan 3800

This thread makes me mourn for the sense of community that I thought existed among sailors
Old 11-12-2020, 16:50   #169

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
This thread makes me mourn for the sense of community that I thought existed among sailors
Those advocating aggressive and destructive responses are surely not cruising sailors and thus not members of the community. They are more likely weekend sailors at best and keyboard sailors in probability.

Ignore them...

Jim
Old 11-12-2020, 17:41   #170

Boat: 24ft Bristol Corsair
Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls

I was brought up in Emsworth, on Chichester Harbour and the dull gentle musical tone
of the slapping halyards lulled me to sleep on many nights dreaming of where the boats had been and where they were going. Even today I find the quiet cacophony created by the vagaries of mast, halyard and wind properties extremely comforting.
brendanwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 18:03   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoyeni View Post
I avoid snapping halyards on my boat for wear and tear reasons, but honestly I enjoy sailing so much that I have a positive association with the sounds of halyards agianst the mast. That's what a *marina* sounds like and we are in the lucky 1% of people who can even associate that sound with anything and if you're actually sleeping on the boat, you're further in the minority of boat owners. Congrats! You made it!
Well said
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 18:03   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo2jones View Post
There is a marina I know where the harbor master ties them up with some strong red ribbon. If he has to do it more than twice, the third time he cuts the halyard.

Cutting lines on strangers boats, whats the worst that could happen
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 18:22   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanwalls View Post
I was brought up in Emsworth, on Chichester Harbour and the dull gentle musical tone
of the slapping halyards lulled me to sleep on many nights dreaming of where the boats had been and where they were going. Even today I find the quiet cacophony created by the vagaries of mast, halyard and wind properties extremely comforting.
Are you talking about metal fittings banging against aluminum masts? Or knots against wooden masts? I described it as a claxon-clang, about as far away from "quiet cacophony" as possible. And I'm deaf in one ear!

This isn't complicated. If someones boat has a nuisance or safety condition and they are not there to rectify, respectfully step aboard and remedy in a polite and respectful manner, same way you'd expect them to do if it was your boat they were stepping aboard.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 23:58   #174

Boat: Sonata 7m

I came back with my brother to his boat one morning,halyards tied up,neatly,not as we had left them,by the liveaboards next door,no lectures,no bad vibes,we put two and two together ,and lesson learnt.
I now always tie them off before leaving my boat ,last week at marina a boat was banging in the evening,l just went and tied (the already tied ,but noisy) halyards ,no big deal
Askeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 01:07   #175

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Those advocating aggressive and destructive responses are surely not cruising sailors and thus not members of the community. They are more likely weekend sailors at best and keyboard sailors in probability.

Ignore them...

Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20191106-WA0002.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	228503

cheers,
Old 12-12-2020, 03:42   #176

Boat: Herreshoff Marco Polo-55ft Hero

I live at a place with a cruisers' harbor. About a dozen boats moor there as home base (half are sail). If someone visiting leaves their halyards slapping I venture on board to secure them if no one is aboard. I consider it a public service and also doing the owner a favor. I do no harm. I do tie the halyards off in a seamanlike way as instruction. On their return I can only hope the owner gets the message and the lesson. They can also assume that we have a watchful eye on their boats. Best intentions. It's what seamen do. Cheers/ Bob
jcaird24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:39   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Get a spool of cheap twine, or cheap bungee cords, to tie off the offending halyards. For repeat offenders, granny knots.
so when you guys dress your lines do you do clockwise or counterclockwise? sheesh
evenwith care lines will set up hums, taps etc in higher wind velocities....
Seacod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:03   #178

Boat: Cornish Crabber 24

A person who pulls my halyards down will have more than a noise problem....
BluePeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:08   #179

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

When my wife and I lived aboard there were a few occasions where we would tie off a neighbors halyards. If it was close enough and loud enough to intrude. It seemed I always had scraps of old lines in abundance, and I would just step on board and secure the offending line. Problem solved ! And I remember one sailor thanking me for saving him wear and tear.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:10   #180

Boat: Cornish Crabber 24

The road to hell is Paved with good intentions—“
BluePeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard