Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2020, 04:06   #1

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Seeking Advise on a Fleming Major 502 wind vane experence.

I'm at a point to buy a 2nd hand Flaming Global Major 501 wind vane.
Before I do I would very much like some feed back, as I have no experience with this or any other brand of wind vane.

Furthermore, I know Fleming wind vane business has closed down. This being the case, I hope to find good or bad reviews from experienced users here at this forum. In word is it worth installing one. I do have a course master 500 autopilot with a hydraulic ram it is reliable but noisy, plus it consumes about 4 to 5 amps. The Fleming wind Vane I'm considering as a backup and to save battery power on long crossings.

I would like some feed back experienced reviews from sailors who have experience with this model of Fleming self steering Wind Vane. Should I buy or not buy, Install or don't install it is my question?

My boat is 15 meters, 8.5 tons displacement. Mast head cutter.

Happy Navigation experiences.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 05:59   #2

Re: Seeking Advise on a Fleming Major 502 wind vane experence.

I'm in the process of selling a Fleming KA 45. The manual I have shows 3 Fleming models. The "major" is the largest at 20 ton capacity - max length 60'
The one I'm selling is a KA 45- 15 ton and 45' max. As with any wind vane the condition of major parts would dictate if it's a good buy or even worth buying.

Fleming although not as well known as the "Monitor" products were well respected in Australia as several around the world record holders from that area used them.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 12:00   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Seeking Advise on a Fleming Major 502 wind vane experence.

Fleming made straight pendulum servo vanes and a pendulum servo assisted auxiliary rudder vane. There is some contention with WindPilot Pacific Vanes about where the Fleming's design originated. In any case the WindPilot vanes work well and assume the Fleming's will work fine also.

Have a WindPilot Pacific Plus, the auxiliary rudder model, and it's worked fine even DDW which is typically a wind vane steering's worst point of sail on my 35' boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, fleming, wind, wind vane