Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2021, 07:54   #61
RDB

Re: Tender - what to choose

Thought I would update everyone on my choice. I ended up going with an Inmar 10’6” air floor inflatable with a 9.8 Tohatsu engine. Here’s what guided my choice:

1. Weight - the dinghy and the engine individually are light enough that I can handle myself when not inflated (<90lbs). Any other dinghy was over 100 lbs.
2. Cost - the Inmar air floor inflatable was $1200. Pretty low risk in my view.
3. Availability - engines were hard to come by. No chance on a Yamaha. The Tohatsu was even hard to find, but got decent reviews.

Some observations for those who are looking:
1. The system is very easy to set up - although I would highly recommend an electric inflation pump if you can afford and/or have the ability on your boat. I have a drop down garage on the transom of my sailboat which allows for easy access to inflate and work. Could easily have been done on deck as well.
2. Performance - I think the engine may be a little too large. It’s the max allowable on this dinghy, which in hindsight was probably a mistake (although gives me options if I go larger. The boat does not plane super well - probably a combo of the size and the air floor. The air floor is definitely not a substitute for a RIB. We can still get across the harbor at decent speed, but it stalls out on a plane in most weight configs.
3. We can all fit, but slowly and in calm waters . This was a trade off.
4. Towing - we generally tow in the western waters of Lake Erie. So far so good - we have a very long line tow-line and the boat rides just fine in most conditions that we’ve seen. On big days, the system is small and light enough to deflate and stow in the lazarette. I don’t have davits or a system to stow on foredeck yet, so that’s our method. A bit more work, but I’m fine with it for the short range cruising that we’re doing
5. Quality - For the price, its good. I did have some valve problems with the dinghy when I first got it, but Inmar took it back and repaired at no charge, and since then it has been fine. I would say this is a 4 year boat at most. It’s PVC so sun will eventually win. But again, for $1200, I think its fine. One nit - the oar lock bolts are too large for the holes in the oars, so I’ve had to drill them out. More of an annoyance, but be ready for that if you buy one.

Happy to chime in if anyone has questions.
RDB
RDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 08:20   #62

Hi Tender, sounds good for your area. As you say, inflatable bottom cannot compare to a RIB. But. . . .it works. One point about PVC compared to hyperlon. I started out with a nine foot PVC Zodiac which I bought in Toronto and had it shipped to Tortola the BVI. After about a year and change, the fabric rotted at the seams. Soon it became one of the many PVC dinghy carcasses lying around on tropical beaches. I replaced it with a Hyperlon RIB which lasted over a decade. (Actually, I sold it for $100 to someone who needed something cheap and patchable). Good luck and if you ever go to the tropics, hyperlon is the way to go for an inflatable.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 10:09   #63

Boat: Hunter 38

As a comparison I purchased an Apex AL-310 about the same size as your tender. Hypalon, single aluminium floor, 18" tubes. I think it was $3,600.

The AL310 is 98 lbs. I also powered it with a 9.8hp, or maybe 9.9. Mines a Yamaha rope/electric start. The boat will plane just fine with me (195lbs) and my gf (95lbs) but will not with two dudes my weight.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 21:31   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDB View Post
Thought I would update everyone on my choice. I ended up going with an Inmar 10’6” air floor inflatable with a 9.8 Tohatsu engine. Here’s what guided my choice:
[...]
2. Performance - I think the engine may be a little too large. It’s the max allowable on this dinghy, which in hindsight was probably a mistake (although gives me options if I go larger. The boat does not plane super well - probably a combo of the size and the air floor. The air floor is definitely not a substitute for a RIB. We can still get across the harbor at decent speed, but it stalls out on a plane in most weight configs.
Often the 6hp is a better option for dinghies that won't plane well anyway. They're lighter and in many countries (specially in Europe) you're allowed to use them without license. The limit's 5 kW which is about 6 hp. Quite a few boater-wives have been fined in Croatia with their 9hp dingies.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender