Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2020, 15:40   #46

Re: Shaun & Julia Sailing... What happened?

Curious how many who've posted on this topic, other than myself, were Patrons? If any.
Sv Loon A Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 19:28   #47
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sv Loon A Sea View Post
Curious how many who've posted on this topic, other than myself, were Patrons? If any.
Not us. I enjoyed watching them though. I don't believe their patrons got any more of an explanation of what happened in the end than us hoi polloi.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 19:45   #48

You are correct, as far as I know none of us got so much as a note on the patron's page.
Sv Loon A Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 20:45   #49

How many Subs did they have? I have a lot of dead sailing channels in my Sub list, but non of them have deleted content or the channel. I'm assuming there is still some money trickling in even without new content. What would be the reason to delete the channel?
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:54   #50
Senior Cruiser

They had around 50k or more subscribers on YooToob if memory serves, and a fairly healthy patreon base.

It looks like their Patreon account is no longer there either, when I search for it. They let their own sailing website domains expire which is like money down the drain. Their professional business ones have been kept up though.

They still have their Facebook page for Shaun & Julia Sailing. It seems to me that they have been pruning comments recently on the last few posts at the end of 2019 and January 2020 which ask too personal of questions or mention things while replying to other people's questions.

It's all a mystery. Maybe someday they will come out of hiding and tell the final chapter of their story, or just leave it hanging there in the breeze forever.

Poor storytelling, in my opinion, which was something that couldn't be said earlier about their channel up to that point.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:48   #51

Boat: Tartan 37

My wife and I just bought their boat, Nemea. Shaun and Julia appear to be alive and well in Canada.

We have no information about why they changed plans or removed the online content.
maddmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:18   #52

Boat: Currently in between

I'm not agreeing with the claims of theft. As I understand Patreon you donate per videos posted. You are not pre-paying for videos, which would be theft if monies were given and videos never posted. But that isn't what happened. People paid after videos were posted.

A stretch would be that a few souls paid for videos posted but those videos then disappeared before they could watch them. We would need to know how soon the videos were taken down after being posted..

All that said, I too, am curious about their disappearance.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:20   #53

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Good, now that the boat is sold, and the couple are happily ensconced in Canada, all those that were concerned will realize that S & J did not have an actual relationship with any of their viewing public... It was the Truman show the whole time folks...

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 00:10   #54
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmike View Post
My wife and I just bought their boat, Nemea. Shaun and Julia appear to be alive and well in Canada.

We have no information about why they changed plans or removed the online content.
I wonder if Shaun ever eventually found any success in sealing up those leaky "portals."

Enjoy Nemea, Tartans are fine boats. Hope to see you out there somewhere someday.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:02   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmike View Post

Well, good for you guys!
Old 04-12-2020, 02:58   #56

I don't have a youtube channel but as a former photographer who worked with a lot of videographers, equating patreon to street performance makes a lot more sense than likening it to panhandling.

The amount of time that goes into creating a 10 minute video never ceases to amaze me.

But to compare it to something else, more like 'a real job' that so many people seem to be hung up about, saying "I am forced to watch the ads and that's enough" is like saying 'the wait staff went out of their way to make it a great experience for me but I don't tip cause I already have to pay for the food."
Walter Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:37   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Sails View Post
I don't have a youtube channel but as a former photographer who worked with a lot of videographers, equating patreon to street performance makes a lot more sense than likening it to panhandling.

The amount of time that goes into creating a 10 minute video never ceases to amaze me.

But to compare it to something else, more like 'a real job' that so many people seem to be hung up about, saying "I am forced to watch the ads and that's enough" is like saying 'the wait staff went out of their way to make it a great experience for me but I don't tip cause I already have to pay for the food."
I have to confess, that we considered starting a Youtube channel, but you're right, making videos turned out to be a lot more work than I really thought it would be. My hats off to the people who do get it right.
Old 04-12-2020, 16:55   #58

Boat: Island Packet 40

One of the more usual reasons for falling off the grid and changing city of residence is aggressive creditors??
Old 05-12-2020, 05:23   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
One of the more usual reasons for falling off the grid and changing city of residence is aggressive creditors??
With the internet, it takes a little more than that to disappear these days.

You might be surprised at what data mining companies know about you, and how quickly their information gets updated when you move or change phone numbers.

If I still had access to the commercial data base we subscribed to when I was working, I imagine I could have found where they were in about five minutes.
Old 05-12-2020, 14:50   #60

I’m a little surprised this thread contains so much sniping and gossip. Like most of you, I followed Shaun & Julia Sailing and contributed a small monthly amount on Patreon in thanks for their willingness to share their adventure. Although a farewell note would have been polite, they certainly had no obligation to entertain us. Neither Shaun nor Julia are hiding. Both have Linked-in profiles and business websites.

Any number of things could’ve caused them to decide to just go back to work at home in Ontario:
- inadequate income to keep cruising
- tired of confined living
- a desire to enjoy friends and family more
- the need for more emotional space
- wanting to start a family in a more stable setting

I just wish them well and hope they’re enjoying life.

Their boat, Nemea, which is now probably owned by someone else, just transmitted its location to Marine Traffic from the Cayote Point Marina, 1900 Coyote Point Dr, San Mateo, CA 94401.

Shaun Bockmaster, linkedin.com/in/shaun-bockmaster-8472b11a
Co-owner, Level Posts Digging & Setting, London, Ontario, levelposts.com, info@levelposts.com, @LevelPosts, facebook.com/levelposts, 226-239-1942m
Co-owner, Eco-Brothers Fencing & Decks
London, Ontario, ecobrothers.weebly.com, ecobrothersfencing@gmail.com, 226-239-1942m
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0CDC5245-92EF-4A0F-8655-46FFC8A56862.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	228169  
luffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing