Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2020, 19:52   #61

Re: Shaun & Julia Sailing... What happened?

Call me a curmudgeon I guess. Never had much use for watching people trying to fund their (expensive) lifestyle from clicks and subscribers on YouTube. Wifey has some experience and from what I gather you can tell how much the content provider is trying to monetize their vids by the frequency of ads. If I can’t get through 3 minutes of a vid without an ad I close it never to return.

The entire influencer thing is just made up work and hopefully a casualty of COVId. Very little use for anyone in that realm. I purposely avoid products if I know they’re being peddled by an influencer. Where’s my Yosemite Sam hat so I can properly express my curmudgeon’ness.
75Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 21:37   #62

Boat: Westerly 43

I enjoyed Shaun and Julia's videos but was never a Patreon. While they don't owe their viewers an explanation, I must say it is very strange that they deleted all trace of their channel. Even the "Off the Starboard Hull" couple who had an acrimonious separation (including an accusatory post break-up video airing dirty linen), have kept all their videos up. Perhaps they too had a relationship breakdown and one or other of them wanted to erase this reminder of their relationship? None of my business, but it's normal to be curious when you've invested time in following their story.
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:00   #63

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
I enjoyed Shaun and Julia's videos but was never a Patreon. While they don't owe their viewers an explanation, I must say it is very strange that they deleted all trace of their channel. Even the "Off the Starboard Hull" couple who had an acrimonious separation (including an accusatory post break-up video airing dirty linen), have kept all their videos up. Perhaps they too had a relationship breakdown and one or other of them wanted to erase this reminder of their relationship? None of my business, but it's normal to be curious when you've invested time in following their story.
Wait ...what? Oh sh#t... <heads to internet to scope out all the dirt>...

Too bad. I used to anchor beside Muskoka occasionally when they were still in BC.—I'd wondered what happened to them. But the "dirty linen" seems to be gone.
Old 06-12-2020, 18:24   #64

Yes it was taken down pretty quickly which was just as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Wait ...what? Oh sh#t... <heads to internet to scope out all the dirt>...

Too bad. I used to anchor beside Muskoka occasionally when they were still in BC.—I'd wondered what happened to them. But the "dirty linen" seems to be gone.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:07   #65

Boat: Hanse 430e

They sold the boat, and are happily married without a camera in their faces all the time. Posted this on FB.

**UPDATE:** Hey guys,
We hope everyone is being safe this Holiday season, and we wanted to give you guys an update on how everything has been going! We apologize for the mega delay as well
After 7 years of travel blogging, we have decided to stop making Youtube videos as we are moving towards a different journey in our lives and want to experience travel without a camera always in our hands. We also believe some things are meant to remain a mystery / left for discovery while not having everything thoroughly documented on Youtube. Nemea has been sold to wonderful new owners, who we’re sure will take great care of her and enjoy her as much as we did.
We are now happily married and are wanting to enjoy some time together. We hope you can understand our position, and we thank all of our loyal friends and followers for coming along with us all these years
Cheers and stay safe everyone!
Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays!
xoxo Shaun and Julia
Dogscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:02   #66

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not pushing a needle into an open wound.

Yet I would like to know: "7 years of travel blogging" translated into how much traveling?

I ask because their AIS track I saw was very short, and terminated.

I was not aware they had traveled extensively before the abandoned piece.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:45   #67
WKW

I heard they got married and then put things on hold....after hearing this they closed everything down....kinda strange and weird behavior. I will mention they were looking for crew and mentioned it on one of their episodes. They were considering a raffle. I jokingly left a comment on their youtube channel saying to be carful as not to end up with a psycho. Another Youtuber which is very concerning was "SV Escape" He was anchored off of that island "Nygard Cay" known for wild parties, drugs and Pedophilia. The YouTuber was overly curious watching the parties from his boat and then disappeared into thin air....that was the last episode. He gave access to his garmin gps locations through a website which gave speed and chart path. This showed his sailboat going back to MA. in record time without stops and averaging 10+ knots the entire way. His old sailboat could not do this. Strange.
WKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:52   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I am not pushing a needle into an open wound.

Yet I would like to know: "7 years of travel blogging" translated into how much traveling?

I ask because their AIS track I saw was very short, and terminated.

I was not aware they had traveled extensively before the abandoned piece.

barnakiel
There in lies the inherent contradiction between youtuber and viewer's world. As a youtube viewer you believe that their travels began and ended with their "series." As the actual people they count their travels as a whole and not just what they filmed. Shaun did a bunch of traveling before he started filming in Ontario...

It's funny how these scenarios all pan out. I have had a number of channels (and personalities ) that I have become "attached" to and often wonder why they disappeared. There was a fellow in Victoria that just stopped making videos (strangely just after I met him in person ...hmmmmmm) and then 2 years later deleted all the videos and websites etc. I assume there is some lingering irritants associated with keeping a channel that was previously monetized up and running after you have abandoned it.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:11   #69

Boat: a sailing boat

To me this is mildly annoying - that there is that mix of real people and 'personalities'. Part of it is the real thing, while the other is a show, an entertainment stunt.

But many people do not see these different modes of use of the media, and these people are easily taken in and will support entertainers believing they are supporting adventurers.

But since entertainment has no real limits, while adventure does, this places genuine sailors, climbers or travelers at a disadvantage.

And so we end up with this situation, where a smart marketer promises you a rtw voyage with him/her, then disappears with your money. And a genuine traveler gets much less attention, and much less support.

The paper moon is bigger and brighter, and it blocks out the our view of the real one.

A sad view indeed.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:21   #70

Quote:
To me this is mildly annoying - that there is that mix of real people and 'personalities'. Part of it is the real thing, while the other is a show, an entertainment stunt.

But many people do not see these different modes of use of the media, and these people are easily taken in and will support entertainers believing they are supporting adventurers.

But since entertainment has no real limits, while adventure does, this places genuine sailors, climbers or travelers at a disadvantage.

And so we end up with this situation, where a smart marketer promises you a rtw voyage with him/her, then disappears with your money. And a genuine traveler gets much less attention, and much less support.

The paper moon is bigger and brighter, and it blocks out the our view of the real one.

A sad view indeed.

barnakiel
Huh. It sounds to me you are buying something they aren't selling. As far as I can see most sailing channels consist of "look at me" and "help me continue letting you look at me." I suppose there are a few that actually promise an outcome, but they are pretty naive and I would bet (albeit a small bet) that they change their tune as the adventure progresses.

And as for "disappearing with your money," well it's just an investment isn't it. Not all investments pan out. If you want guaranteed return you probably should just take your chances with a cable package.
Old 11-12-2020, 23:28   #71

Boat: Hanse 430e

Its all just entertainment.
Dogscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:27   #72

Boat: viking 33

good morning all

Marine Traffic shows new name for Nemea is "Hotate Maru"
March 6, 2021 location is Angel Island near San Francisco.
Same AIS number and Photograph as Nemea.

Cheers
Thomas
Impulse1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 14:38   #73

Quote:

A sad view indeed.

barnakiel
In hindsight I don't think Shaun and Julia were that serious about cruising. They saw it more as a business opportunity. A giveaway was the near constant focus on Julia's sex appeal. A much more genuine young couple are the Sailing Yacht Florence pair. They are the real deal and well worth supporting. Shaun and Julia never got further than the Bahamas while these guys are currently in Sumatra.
Old 07-03-2021, 15:05   #74

So their Facebook page (https://m.facebook.com/ShaunSailing/) clearly answered all the questions here in their last post. I won't copy and paste because I'm not sure it's legal, but you can see it without even logging into Facebook. It literally took me far more time to read this thread than to find that in a 60 second google search, not sure why all the speculation when the actual answer from the horses mouth is so readily available?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 15:59   #75

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
So their Facebook page (https://m.facebook.com/ShaunSailing/) clearly answered all the questions here in their last post. I won't copy and paste because I'm not sure it's legal, but you can see it without even logging into Facebook. It literally took me far more time to read this thread than to find that in a 60 second google search, not sure why all the speculation when the actual answer from the horses mouth is so readily available?
That update was posted on December 8th 2020, which is after almost all of this thread. It is actually likely that this thread is the reason they made such an update.

But thanks for finding it and showing us where it is. That seems like it should be adequate closure for those that care.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing