Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2018, 17:26   #1

Boat: 1970 Morgan 41 Yawl
Question Recomendation wanted size and type of anchor line

I have an 1968 Morgan classic yawl 41 weighing in at 40,000# give or take. We are in the process of bringing this old girl back to life after a decade of sitting on the hard and in a slip. We plan on doing most of our sailing on the west coast of Florida and will rarely be in water over 50'. The boat now has two plow anchors with a whole lot of chain on both anchors, the windless is broken and i am thinking about doing without it and convert one of the anchors to rope and raising it by hand (blessed with a strong back and a weak mind). The best i can figure is200' of 5/8 nylon with maybe 20 feet of 3/8 chain. What do you think? should i go to 3/4 inch?
Is braid or 3 strand the best way to go? how long? Prices very a lot, is nylon the best choice? will be mostly anchoring in fairly shallow water most likely 20 foot or so. You guys on here have a tons of experience and i would appreciate your thoughts, thanks.
rocnrichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 17:52   #2

Re: Recomendation wanted size and type of anchor line

Well im a chain guy but that size of boat can be quite easily anchored with 50 feet of chain and 5/8" nylon. You are right ..There are different grades of rode and its not where I would be trying to save a buck. Don't anchor too close to your neighbor because with nylon rode in light variable winds you'll move around a lot while they will tend to just sit over their chain. Won't be long and they will nick name you "pinball" ..lol.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, men, size, wanted