Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2020, 10:03   #61

Re: Public opinion

A 28 footer shouldnt have too much physical effort required once you're used to the boat and plan your actions ahead of time. If you feel like you're putting in a lot of physical effort with certain actions, think about how to modify your workflow to reduce the effort. Having trouble working the sheet? Pinch into the wind a bit, then winch it, then fall back off to your desired course. Trouble weighing anchor? Get a smaller anchor and accept that it is now only a lunch hook. Keep the big anchor still in an "easily deployable" location for an emergency, but accept that its a one time use, it goes down to save you in a true emergency, but doesn't come back up.

If you have good skills with the boat and manage to avoid any unexpected bad weather, you should be able to handle the physical effort required. So I think falls are the bigger concern. Getting everything set up to the cockpit could make a big difference there. The foredeck is difficult for a youngster like me. I'd argue that every effort should be made to avoid the foredeck when singlehanding, regardless of age, its just too easy to go overboard.

Install tether points in appropriate locations, set some rules for yourself and stick to them. These rules include things like what weather forecasts you think are appropriate for your skills, strength, mobility, and vessel. It also includes things like "everytime I step off the dock, I wear a lifevest" and "everytime I leave the dock, I'm wearing a harness and tether." Another rule might be "always file a float plan with a family member, and stick an active spot tracker in your pocket." In other words, the same kind of rules that young guys like me might stick ourselves with. You might change the rules to be slightly different to accommodate your situation. Another rule might be "never go below in rough seas," the cockpit is safer. Install spots in the cockpit for your backup paper charts, radio, waterbottles, etc. That way you dont have to go through the companion way as often.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:09   #62

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I stopped looking for, or asking permission from anyone back when I turned 50. You want to go. Go.
I stopped after my wife passed away.
Be careful which doctor you ask, some are real Killjoys.
And, as that famous tattoo says, "No Regerts"
Old 11-05-2020, 10:19   #63

7 years ago at age 63 I had 3 heart attacks and a quadruple bypass. I was in good shape then and am in better shape now. It was a small but significant blip in my life. I race a J 24 regularly and have done 6 triathlons since then. Yes, you can sail again but take a 3 month cardiac retraining program first. Then go for it!
brianmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:19   #64

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Another go for it from another old fart who is still surfing Hobie cats!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:47   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmoe View Post
I am 77 and my family is going able/sugar at the very thought.
I bought my O’day 28 (very similar boat) from a guy who had previously had a heart attack. He was 87. So you have 10 more years.

The guy was kind of amazing. He looked very old and he had let his grey hair go rockstar long. He moved very slowly. But he got around on the boat just fine. He knew every inch of it. He had gotten himself in a spot of trouble with a leak while single handing and had to call for help. He made it back with Seatow standing by but decided it was time to pack it in. 87!!!

There are a lot of 30 year olds that don’t know every inch of their boat.

Maybe buy an electric winch for the main and have that be your big concession to the clan. Personally I am sailing as long as I can and then if I happen to fall off I can live with that.
loneshark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:18   #66

Boat: Glastron GT 249

I've had a heart attack, and I'm impaired similarly to your description.

Honestly, I'd do it. Not only is it a fulfilling use of time, but it's also great exercise that scales to what you want it to be. And on the water, you're never more than a radio call from help if you need it.

I'd be more worried about the boat being up to snuff than my heart.

Also, despite short bursts of work, isn't sailing one of the most relaxing things ever devised by man?
MrPix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:26   #67

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmoe View Post
28' Catalina, no electric winches, electric anchor windless, Roller furling foresail
Do it. It will almost certainly be healthier than sitting around -- but check with your doctor to see if he agrees.

You might consider rigging the jib to self tack -- the smaller size would mean less heel (and a tiny bit less speed) and easier tacks. The Cates advice on drill-powering the winches is excellent.

If I were worried about the energy requirements, I'd consider going to a 24 or 25 footer, but you can decide that later -- best thing is to just get going, and modify the boat as and if necessary. It would not be at all unlikely that as you become more active, you will become stronger, and the 28 could be just about ideal.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:42   #68

Go for it if your mind and body say so! Possibly be a bit more careful and less adventurous than many years ago - that's all.
I'm 70 and have just bought another small aircraft and my first motorcycle for many decades.
It's basically your life and your decision.
Cheers,
Niall.
Niall leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:31   #69

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Go. But take someone with you. Someone to crank on the winches when you don't feel up to it. Someone to pass your knowledge down to. Someone to get the nitro pills and the O2 tank for you if it comes to that, call for help, or just bring the boat back in if you cash in your chips and pass on to that big regatta in the sky. Don't give up sailing as long as you can still get yourself aboard and enjoy the breeze in your face.

You got a boat, experience, skill, knowledge. You can share that with someone appreciative, who can also make sailing safer and more practical for you as you get older. I don't see any reason to give it up just cause you are of a certain age and have had a 4-uple bypass. Can you still walk around the neighborhood? Climb on and off the boat? Go for it.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:43   #70

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall leslie View Post
Go for it if your mind and body say so! Possibly be a bit more careful and less adventurous than many years ago - that's all.
I'm 70 and have just bought another small aircraft and my first motorcycle for many decades.
It's basically your life and your decision.
Cheers,
Niall.
Oh no. Another crazy.

I too am 70, (in a month), and I have been experiencing motorcycle lust, after decades away. Used to fly too, and have been thinking about getting back in (after a couple decades of thinking that I am not quite up to it, in terms of equilibrium, or having the time to stay current.) Does this mean:

1. that I have been selling myself short,
2. that I am loosing my ability to analyze risks, or
3. that I just don't give a hoot?
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:48   #71

Boat: C&C 38 Mk II

On a 28' boat I don't think you need an electric winch handle. I have a Milwaukee M28 on my 38-footer but use it only for raising the heavy main. For that it is great, albeit a little heavy. But on my previous 30-foot Islander it was very easy to deal with all winches by hand. And I am not a young whippersnapper.
Rhumbline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:53   #72

Me 2 I got 5 bypass 3 years ago so opted at 60 last year to buy 1968 30 ft pioneer 10 metre. It was cheap well sailed even did Atlantic crossing and back to Wales and then to Ireland where I got it.
Project repairs nearly finished but can't go anyplace this year with Covet 19 issues so 2021 Atlantic crossing for me

The best invention one cruiser has is largely do away with the main sail and replace it with a tri sail . In wind above force three it gives on most points of sail good driving without to cause too much heeling
Best of all it is loose footed so not able to whack your head like a boom can

Also worth looking at is the idea of a genniker with or without a bow sprit for calmer winds

Honestly I can't see myself usimg my spinnaker they are too hard work for single handed like me

I must look this Mileski drill solution

I hope to develop a drill driving a prop Asian style with long shaft and prop sorta like the Vietnam canoes have with car engine and long shaft do easy to clear weeds from prop

Of it works will set up a suitable how to DIY version for others to do
Range will be limited probably 4 to five miles per battery pack at sedate 3 knots
Just eneogh to use for typical yaught tender anchor work .

I will also look to bring the relevant parts fromt wheel drive system and battery pack.all stuff needed to convert a normal push bike into electrical bike .
That will save space buy a local second hand bike after the crossing and sell it when I go further afield.

Well worth looking at if the funds allow is to install a electric engine solution that can give you five miles range in calm conditions to get in and out of marina and anchorages without the inboard.
That is keep the inboard for the long range stuff or for the rough weather .
A 5 mile range type electric power solution suitable to give 3 knots on calm conditions has a low weight penalty but works well for most times as it won't stop without any warning like a inboard can

A 24 volt system with ,5 mile range should cost one quarter the cost of the 20 mile range.48 volt 5 knot system
Also allows the battery nomally lithium iron phosphate types to enhance the house battery on anchor.
Add on 1000 watt solar panels and you will rarely have to use the main engine to top up batteries or run a gasoline generator.

Probably a ,24 volt system and use two 24 volt outboards
Of 55 lbs push making 110 lbs.
22 lbs is about 1 HP so that makes about 4 HP
The typical inboard 10.hp has losses so ball park what arribes the net power after losses is 2 HP
The 4 HP electric system also has losses but less do about ,1 HP arrives in useful power from the 4 HP power
The upside is you can take one 24 volt outboard and use it for yaught tender and might function OK with just ,12 volt power

Needless to say if you always just do small coastal hops and use marinas all the time then 110 volt shore power will allow you to run everything like deep freezers and Larger LCD screens for TH shows like Netflix attached to suitable internet

Of you go for anchorages and several overnight sails no rule says you must sail at night. Nothing to stop you taking down sails and letting boat drift while you go to sleep
Modern ship watch solutions like AIS and if you got radar systems can alert you of potential traffic conflicts with ships and small craft.
That's my plan for the overnight solutions single.handed and if I get too tired

Modern weather forecasting makes sailing much more time than the old times

Yeah go for it

Also can be interesting to look the modern info on the heart problem

Best you tube explains "The heart is not a pump " but is more of a regulator controlling the blood circulation

The basics are the football field size of miled of blood Viens and Arteries the human would require a huge pump to force blood though the system. What makes blood flow through the system is the walls of the Viens and Arteries have a electric charge opposite of blood and this electric system pushes blood along the network .Without the heart to regulate this flow and even things out there would be choas I'm the system and cause death or injuries

That type of insight to how to really attend to heart might help keep you out of trouble in the heart regionKeep is posted on another future post.
bouncycastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:59   #73

Boat: Hunter 30 G

Guy askes his doctor"if I quit drinking, eating fried food and give up all the stuff they say will kill me, will I live longer?" Doctor replies," no, it'll just seem longer".
Old 11-05-2020, 13:12   #74

I heartily endorse the suggestions already submitted, i.e.
1) Go sailing with another experienced adult sailor (family member, friend, volunteer from FindACrew or similar service, etc.)
2) Always take along an EPIRB and a well-stocked first aid kit
I’m 73 and still an active sailor (that knows his limits) - be glad to sail with you!
CaptainShef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 13:34   #75

If you have had a bypass you are probably better able physically than you have been for years. The difference is that both your family and you are rightly aware of your mortality. I would buy a sat phone or a Garmin satellite locator so that you can check in at home. Apart from that I would take it slowly so you and your family don't get a fright. Ps I have had one too
LuckyLucky is offline   Reply With Quote