Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 20:39   #1

Public opinion

I don't usually ask for advice or permission, but I find myself in an unusual position. Few years back I had a heart attack, it required a 4 way by pass (CABG). I healed and have tried to live a fairly normal life. Sure there are some residual problems, my stamina could be better and my leg strength is compromised, although I walk well. Here's where you guys come in. I want to start sailing again. I am 77 and my family is going able/sugar at the very thought. I have promised them that I would put the question to 2 sailing groups and that I would abide by the consensus. The following is pertinent Boat is 28' Catalina, no electric winches, electric anchor windless, Roller furling foresail Mostly single handed, mostly coastal sailing and occasional foray to Mayaguana in the Bahamas. How say you? Remember I'd rather be happy sailing, than NORMAL watching General Hospital. Thanks regardless of your answer, it means a lot to me.

It Ain't Gotta Be Easy, It's just Gotta Be Done.
capnmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 20:50   #2

Boat: HR 31 Monsun
Re: Public opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmoe View Post
I don't usually ask for advice or permission, but I find myself in an unusual position. Few years back I had a heart attack, it required a 4 way by pass (CABG). I healed and have tried to live a fairly normal life. Sure there are some residual problems, my stamina could be better and my leg strength is compromised, although I walk well. Here's where you guys come in. I want to start sailing again. I am 77 and my family is going able/sugar at the very thought. I have promised them that I would put the question to 2 sailing groups and that I would abide by the consensus. The following is pertinent Boat is 28' Catalina, no electric winches, electric anchor windless, Roller furling foresail Mostly single handed, mostly coastal sailing and occasional foray to Mayaguana in the Bahamas. How say you? Remember I'd rather be happy sailing, than NORMAL watching General Hospital. Thanks regardless of your answer, it means a lot to me.

It Ain't Gotta Be Easy, It's just Gotta Be Done.
Go for it, nothing worse than sitting at home doing nothing. Get yourself an EPIRB and maybe a satellite phone or iridium go and stay in regular contact with your family and they will probably feel a lot better. They can also track you with an iridium go.
Make sure you get the ok from your Dr though.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 21:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

You aren't getting any younger. If not now then when? Do they expect you to enjoy yourself and find your dreams in the next life instead?
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 21:17   #4

If you feel able, then do it. But don't do it alone. There must be a Grandson ready to go?
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 21:26   #5

Boat: Islander 36

1. "sailing again", so you have an idea what you're in for. Can anyone in your family say that?

2. "mostly coastal sailing", means that you aren't stuck as a full time livaboard cruiser. You are not stuck with no choice but to plow through bad conditions.

People with no idea of what it's like, the good or the bad, shouldn't get too many votes.

My favorite Andy Rooney quote. "Some people are not entitled to their own opinions. They have no idea what they are talking about."
Old 02-05-2020, 21:46   #6

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

like nike says "just do it"

you will regret it if you don't...

cheers,
chrisr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 21:51   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Moe,

As a fellow old fart (82) and active sailor/full time cruiser, I say if your body will let you do it, go for it. I have slowed down considerably over the past few years and our sailing has become less adventurous, but Ann and I still enjoy the life. Our kids gave up on us ever growing up quite some years ago and accept that what we do is potentially more risky than couch surfing, but realize that in fact, it seems to keep us younger on the whole.

The single handing part of it shouldn't cause that much concern for coastal cruising, where long passages are not required... lack of sleep and poor watchkeeping are the biggest hazards for a single hander, and short day hops don't stress those aspects to badly.

One thing I'd suggest as a helper for you: get some sort of electric winch handle. There are purpose built ones, but we've opted for a Milwaukee 28V right angle drill plus a winch bit adapter ourselves. For those with limited stamina or strength, it is a godsend. There have been several recent threads here on CF related to them, and the consensus is pretty favorable. I think it is the best single item I've ever bought for sailing. In general the loads in your 28 footer are not big, but repetitive tasks like short tacking, hoisting sails, furling sails, etc when your strength and stamina are compromised, well, they can wear you down, and some help is pretty useful.

So, if you decide to go, enjoy the life... we do!

Jim
Old 02-05-2020, 22:03   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Capnmoe,

I, too, think your family should not interfere with your goals, unless there's something important you left out, like being your wife's primary caretaker or something really serious. However, please be careful to not take Covid19 to strangers.

If you have a significant other who is supporting this, even if not accompanying you, then go. You might want to think twice about it if there is a lifetime partnership at stake, with years of devotion. To me, any others don't get to have that much say, and especially so if they are land dwellers...They latter just simply do not get it.

I'm 80, now, and living aboard and sailing are getting harder and harder for me. I'd suggest you take crew for the overnighters, and I liked the idea of taking the grandchild, except that you couldn't really expect them to take over from you if you had a heart attack or something, so maybe an adult sailor would be better, eh? But, if you love the smell of the sea, the sight of the first lightening of the day, before the colors come in the sky, and feeling the scend of the sea as you approach the great mother ocean, then yes, go for it.

If you're having trouble with manual winches, get yourself a Milwaukee 1/2" drive right angle drill motor with the "wincher" bit, and it will help a lot, and reduce the physical effort involved in tacking. (You'll need an inverter to re-charge the batteries.) Your electric windlass will see you through most anchoring situations without problems.

You will have seasons of sailing and seasons of family participation, involvement, and responsibility. Why should you not have some freedom? All too soon, *something* happens to most of us that leaves unable to sail actively. Why should you not take advantage of this late opportunity?

When you evaluate the things others are saying to you, are they looking out for your safety or wellbeing? or is it something else going on? Use the wisdom of your accumulated years to consider it. Be kind.

Ann
Old 02-05-2020, 22:20   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

The Cates have pretty well summed it up.

It's rare for me to say it here, but in this case:

Just do it!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 23:10   #10

Cates opinion ��. Carry on-board communication/epirb/sat etc. ��
I would add: Review with your doctor what your planning. Know how far you will be from land ( ie medical help) if something were to happen to you and ask the doctor for prescription(s) and any other first aid supplies you can self administer. This is a normal first aid consideration for all sailors, but has greater weight for those with pre-existing conditions.
If that doctor won't help you, find one that will.
SV Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 17:56   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^^
Good point SV Tru. Finding doctors who are sailors in their own right helps.

Ann
Old 03-05-2020, 18:35   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I stopped looking for, or asking permission from anyone back when I turned 50. You want to go. Go.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 18:42   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I stopped looking for, or asking permission from anyone back when I turned 50. You want to go. Go.
Good one, Tellie! I can't really remember when I turned 50, but I think I may have done the same... or maybe it was at 40!

Remember, one can not be forever young, but with some effort, one can be forever immature.

Jim
Old 03-05-2020, 18:43   #14

Boat: Tayana FD-12

This is a good place to ask. Go! Just dont ask on a forum where family members of patients of bypass surgeries meet. If one even exists.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 18:51   #15
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Good one, Tellie! I can't really remember when I turned 50, but I think I may have done the same... or maybe it was at 40!

Remember, one can not be forever young, but with some effort, one can be forever immature.

Jim

Well, I haven't conquered being forever young, but the second part I got down to a "T"
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote