Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2012, 08:44   #31
cruiser

Re: Pitch In And Help

ok, the time frame just became real to me... I thought there was more time... heheheh ooops...

ok, I spoke with Steve... this is happening this coming Wednesday....

the need is for boats, ground tackle and people... He needs commitments for boats.... Big boats... and long LONG lines... PUMPS and hoses would be another BIG NEED.... lots and lots of hoses... if the boat gets free and then restuck we will need to relocate the pumping efforts and or string multiple pumps up along the path of drag...

Please PM him and me with ideas and suggestions and commitments...

we need fone numbers ...

Goldiflox, and rocketman please pm me with contact info and ideas/suggestions, etc...

Steve is going down there today to scope out the restaurants...

He needs a pickup truck to move equipment and materials....

Capn Jim prolly needs a place to store his stuff as it is off loaded.. Steve isnt really concerned but the boat needs to be emptied before it can be moved and we need to make sure it is and just plopping it onto the beach head isnt the best solution although it will be a solution if needed..

Anyone with a camera, should take pictures of anything/everything... if you have a significant other, put a camera phone in their hand while you do something else...

any other suggestions would be appreciated... if you suggest a place to contact, please put as much contact info in it as possible so Steve doesnt have to look up phone numbers or contact names...

IF YOU LIVE IN THAT AREA, please help... Goto the store or restaurant and ask... water and sandwhiches will be needed... SUBWAY, PUBLIX, anything...

I appreciate Steve's doing what he can, but he needs manpower... committed manpower.. I think the start time will be 8:30AM on Wednesday until whenever..... High tide will be around noon...

the morning will be spend offloading the boat, rigging up the pumps and ground tackle and prep work.... labor activities will commence at before lunch time, so there maybe a break between rigging and actual salvage... but Steve needs to be ready...

He will need VHF radios for each area, so bring your handhelds for him to talk to you...

there will be a kick off meeting in the AM... best to be there early..
sailinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 09:07   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

I can throw a web page together this evening when I am back home. We can point Facebook at it for the details.

If all details are on here, then I will use this as a basis, otherwise, please advise me any additions you may suggest. I will try an incorporate all I can.
Old 28-07-2012, 09:09   #33
cruiser

webpage is done... if AVB wants to make it pretty, great... let me know..

If someone wants to add a paragraph or two or a page or two, let me know... it is uber easy to upgrade/publish a new page...

FLOAT-A-BOAT.com - Home

Please distribute the link everywhere...

If you know how to setup a paypal account or a donation account, please let me know...

thanks
Old 28-07-2012, 09:38   #34
cruiser

local boater needs help
Old 28-07-2012, 11:45   #35

Boat: Nor Sea 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinman View Post
webpage is done... if AVB wants to make it pretty, great... let me know..

If someone wants to add a paragraph or two or a page or two, let me know... it is uber easy to upgrade/publish a new page...

FOAT-A-BOAT.com - Home

Please distribute the link everywhere...

If you know how to setup a paypal account or a donation account, please let me know...

thanks
Is it possible to edit the Foat to Float?
Old 28-07-2012, 13:09   #36

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

EVERONE WHO WANTS TO VOLUNTEER ON WENDSDAY PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!

I have been asked by Knothead to find out who is willing to give some time and what resorces they have to bring to help out.

For example: If you are a person that just wants to come and help but do not have any equipment or boat or anything else, then email me with number of people who are comming.

For example: If you have an anchor, chain and rode you will be bringing, let me know that.

For example: If you have special skills that you feel may be helpful, let me know that. ie, Doctor, nurse, mechanical genious, boat floater, cook, all around nice guy, what ever, let me know that also.

Last but most imortant email me at my personal email. I am trusting it not get abused. jjzidek at aol dot com
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 14:18   #37
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Is it possible to edit the Foat to Float?

Dat I can do ; -)

Good luck!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 14:21   #38

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

think those that show up should have a T-shirt on with their screen name on the front and back.

And of course a CF something or other too!

I suggest sticking with screen names so as not to tax memory cells with new names to new faces. New faces with known names is enough as we are going to have to "brain storm" out there and we all know that even a minor storm can put some "aground".

Just sayin

And Rocketman, it is not readers here that will capture and abuse your email address but "bots" or other such web crawling thingys. Maybe a mod will let you modify it. Give the little warning triangle a tingle and see.
Old 28-07-2012, 14:22   #39

Boat: 32 Endeavour

Thinking out loud

Why don't we name this a community charity event.

Ask for food and beverage donations, get some entertainment, ask $20 a head, free food drink music etc.

Raise $ to get barge crane, and the gent the proper ground tackle. maybe insurance for a year, good PR for progressive, all state??"?

Ummmm or He was in the US Navy

What is the naval reserve upto? Maybe they could use an exercise, lend a hand to help the locals out.

Thinking out loud
Jacknast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 15:00   #40

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

You guys are so coool...if I wasn't in New Mexico I'd be there....right on and good luck !!!!!
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 15:54   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

Sailinman - I tried to send you a PM, either your Inbox is full or you switched off the facility!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 16:36   #42

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

OK, where ergzactly in Gulfport is this little beach? Somewhere along 31st Ave.?
Old 28-07-2012, 16:49   #43
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
OK, where ergzactly in Gulfport is this little beach? Somewhere along 31st Ave.?

From I-275, drive WEST on 22nd AVe. SOUTH -- be careful, because there is also an exit at 22nd Ave. North.

Turn south at 54th St. and stop when you hit sand.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 18:50   #44

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale

HI,

While all you guys and gals are helping please remember to wear your latex gloves. His dog has used the decks of the boat for the past several years and what the rain has not washed away, the sun has baked in.

Also, he has not had a working MSD on the boat for numerous years either. (yes, he has citations for this) Also, don't think about using the mast to haul him over, it's broken below the spreaders.

Additionally, he does not have an engine onboard, so no help there. Basically the boat has been static in front of the beach for the last several years. He got this boat because his other boat, another abandoned derelict, has been anchored off the beach for the last seven years or so, and is still here. That one is white, with a red boot stripe and no mast. It also has some foul odors emitting from it as well. You will see it out to the left of Williams Pier behind the sunk derelict with the mast sticking up out of the water.

I would personally appreciate it if you could help him with that boat as well. It's been a black eye on our community for numerous years now and all of us are at our whits end with this situation. If you have ever anchored near him, anytime within the past six or seven years, the 24/7 generator running some 110 household appliances, combined with the overboard sewage and doggie discharge would have... well, I'm sure you understand.

Also, I don't know if he can actually sail as neither of his boats can get underway, except in a storm. So I don't know if this qualifies him as a 'Mariner'.

If you don't see him at the boat, just check the local bars along the beach. He could probably use some help with the bar tab as well.

As a local resident and active sailor, thanks for helping him, and an extra thanks if one of you would get his other abandoned derelict boat working too.

Again, thanks.

Here is a local news link, and don't forget to read the comments!

Stuck in the sand on Gulfport Beach, his life at sea slides toward an unhappy end - Tampa Bay Times
Old 28-07-2012, 19:31   #45
Armchair Bucketeer

As Sailinman has become indisposed, at least from CF - have gone to Plan B on the website end. Now here:-

https://sites.google.com/a/jaytac.co...-boat-com/home

Not very polished (to put it mildly!) - but the content is starting to fill out.

I will incorporate a bit more of this thread tommorow morning (here it is very late!) - and likely I will be in touch with a few folks who have posted to nail down what they are doing / could do (if they don't PM me first - hint hint ) so I can capture that info into the Website - so everyone else knows as well.

A general e-mail address has been set up just for this project:-

floataboat2012@yahoo.com

Myself, Knothead and Rocketman have the password - it is intended that we share it (to save forwarding stuff around - and to save spamming up own e-mails!.....therefore it does not matter if the Spam monsters find that e-mail address, likely will never be used again after next week!............so please feel free to hand that e-mail address out willy nilly .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote