Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2018, 18:00   #1

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Mast climbing alternative?

I saw this.

Column climber

And was wondering if it would be possible to build something like this for climbing a mast.

Or who would be brave [sic] enough to use it.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 18:05   #2

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Mast climbingnalternative?

I don't know how to make that idea work on a sailboat mast. It's very specific to having two rails / walls side by side so that each foot has its own path.

But, I started a thread a while back about this thing and I still think something like it could be quite useful.

Tmac® Universal Pole Platform
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 18:17   #3

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50
Re: Mast climbing alternative?

About forty years ago I invented a self climbing system, quite simple....

You get two double blocks, side by side, with a becket. You get 5 times the height in yacht braid, and basically haul this upper block up the mast yourself with a very secure halyard as you feed out the line to make the 5 times purchase. Then, with a five times purchase, pulling down from the top block, you can HAUL YOURSELF up in a Bosun's chair... 1/5th your weight..

The best way to stow it is take out all the slack so the two blocks are together, and warp the rode into a nice stow away package, and when you deploy it again you haul the upper block while feeding the rope into the 5 times purchase....

At the top, YOU are in control. The Halyard is well cleated and secured and you HAUL YOURSELF up with the five times purchase so 1/5th your body weight. At the top you take the bitter end and wrap and tie it off around the 5 purchase, and you are secure and in control..

This also allows you to stop anywhere along the way, and do what ever, INDEPENDENTLY...

Best regards from "Down Under", on a Saba 50 "Serenity"...
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 18:31   #4

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post
About forty years ago I invented a self climbing system, quite simple....

You get two double blocks, side by side, with a becket. You get 5 times the height in yacht braid, and basically haul this upper block up the mast yourself with a very secure halyard as you feed out the line to make the 5 times purchase. Then, with a five times purchase, pulling down from the top block, you can HAUL YOURSELF up in a Bosun's chair... 1/5th your weight..

The best way to stow it is take out all the slack so the two blocks are together, and warp the rode into a nice stow away package, and when you deploy it again you haul the upper block while feeding the rope into the 5 times purchase....

At the top, YOU are in control. The Halyard is well cleated and secured and you HAUL YOURSELF up with the five times purchase so 1/5th your body weight. At the top you take the bitter end and wrap and tie it off around the 5 purchase, and you are secure and in control..

This also allows you to stop anywhere along the way, and do what ever, INDEPENDENTLY...

Best regards from "Down Under", on a Saba 50 "Serenity"...
That's precisely what a rigger used on my boat just a couple weeks ago.

But you're still hung by a harness or chair. I see great value in being able to stand away from the mast while working on it. It puts your body into a more natural working posture. Things like turning a screw driver become simple, rather than awkward.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 18:35   #5

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

I have used the system....

Pushing out with your feet, gets you away from the mast, not a problem.

This is still the safest and strongest system, and you can give enough slack to push yourself out as far as you need to go..
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 18:53   #6

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

A basic climbing harness plus $5 worth of cordage & an off-cut of timber will get you safely and independently up & down your mast even in mid-ocean - out there's no fun, but I have done it.
Set a halyard - I like to use the mainsail's - bar tight at the mast, secure your harness and a wooden step/stirrup to said halyard with prussic loops and you can climb up and down to your hearts content.
Take another length of rope or harness life line up with you, use it to lash yourself to the mast at the work point and you're then secure 'hands-free'; for preference, I try to have another halyard as a safety-line with someone tailing it to a winch at deck level, but that's just being sensible rather than necessary.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 20:14   #7

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
That's precisely what a rigger used on my boat just a couple weeks ago.

But you're still hung by a harness or chair. I see great value in being able to stand away from the mast while working on it. It puts your body into a more natural working posture. Things like turning a screw driver become simple, rather than awkward.
If I have to work on the mast top, I bring a boathook, lash one end to the shrouds, the other end (or rather the middle) to the mast at a convenient height. The boathook I can stand on and I am still wearing my bosuns chair for safety.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast