Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2020, 04:10   #31

Boat: S&S 40
Re: Marinas That Allow Owner's to Work on Their Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
I heard of a marina that only allows you to wash your boat on certain days of the week .. so it all depends
Thats a funny one, never heard this one before in my 45 years of sailing.
If thats the case why staying there?
Looks to me they dont really cater for boats, more like a trailer park set up.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 05:24   #32

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Remember that for every silly rule, someone must have been presented with a problem that rule was intended to solve.

Kinda like those stickers on the lawnmower warning you not to stick your hands or feet into the spinning blades.

If I had to guess, I'd say the rule about washing the boat on certain days probably excludes weekends, when folks come down to just sit on their boat, and don't want to be the recipient of the overspray when a neighbor comes in from fishing and wants to hose all the fish guts away.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 05:46   #33

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

I just completed my bottom job, rudder repair, and stripe painting at Oasis Marina and boatyard in St Augustine. Very friendly and professional. they even lent some muscle when needed on stabbing the rudder when the time came, with no charges. I would highly recommend.
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 14:06   #34

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvanvoorhees View Post
Thanks, I've been wearing out my keyboard searching online with very little positive results (and I'm a former IT Techie so I know how to search).

That being said I haven't tried the site you recommended so I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the info.
It seems pretty obvious you expect to have to do work on this prospective boat ON THE HARD. So give your keyboard a break and search for "DIY BOAT YARD." Don't search for "marinas." Most marinas are not boat yards, and most boat yards are not also marinas. Of the half dozen boat yards in So Cal that I'm familiar with, none are marinas, and only about half of them allow DIY. Some yards will allow many kinds of DIY work, but not bottom painting. Some require enclosure for bottom work, some prohibit it altogether, some require using their contractor, etc. Their business, their rules (and in some cases, restrictions driven by local laws).

OTOH, most marinas allow boat owners to work on their boat, with the fairly obvious restrictions mentioned by previous posters in this thread.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 06:50   #35

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

Yankee Point Marina off the Rappahannock River. Lots of DIY. Best to have a car, but not absolutely necessary.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 21:38   #36

Years ago we kept our boat in a marina just south of Town of northeast on the northeast river, Chesapeake tributary . They let us do anything. Not to convenient to the bay and a pretty backwater place.. They cleaned the bathrooms with a garden hose and the kkk occasionally recruited on a street corner in town. They were there on weekdays only so as not to scare the tourists. They also owned the trailer park next door. Real trailers, not Florida double wides.

Then moved to Bohemia Vista marina on the Bohemia river, also a tributary. There they allowed almost anything. Easy sail to the bay and the area was a bit more refined. Fair number of derelicts on the hard.

Right next door was a condo marina, very upscale. They allowed some work.

All more than a few years back.
jfyiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 14:21   #37

Boat: O'Day 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I'll add my two cents to this thread......

First, stop watching youtube videos about sailing. Or, at least the ones that are not providing info about sail trim, provisioning or passage making. The rest are just reality TV shows........

Next remember marinas fall into a few distinct categories........

1) Five star resort, with pool, restaurant and bar. They usually have no travel lift. But sometimes have a massage parlor........

2) Marina has slips, but no pool, bar or restaurant. Probably does not have travel lift or hard storage. There are a lot of these places.........

3) Marina has slips, dry storage and many times, racks for power boats. May or may not have any of the other amenities.

4) Marina may or may not have the amenities mentioned, but does have dry storage and a travel lift........... Here is the biggie,.... do they employ thirty guys running around bottom painting, rigging and all matter of other jobs?

Or do they have three guys running the fork lift, travel lift and emptying the trash. The later one is most likely to let you do your own work. They are out there, but are becoming more difficult to find.........
Yep... your last description is my marina....slips, rack storage for power boats, on the hard storage for the winter (and too many boats that never see the water), and a few guys running the travel left, petibone for the rack storage and whatever else they offer...which isn’t much. We have a fuel dock and pumpout. Fuel pumps are not self serve, so you have to call security and have someone come out and pump your fuel.

There is a yacht club for people who want to eat and drink in the air conditioning. Run separate from the marina.

But, they leave me alone, and appreciate the opportunity to park my boat there (for a fee of course)

I can certainly do any work I need to when on the hard.

Greg
Tanqueray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, marinas, work