Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 14:58   #31

Re: La Vagabonde Contractory Stories

Give them a break will you... They're just a thoroughly decent young Aussie couple living the life most of us can only dream about. Yes, they may be upwardly mobile, but that's no different to millions of people. I've enjoyed their videos from the very first one, I don't donate on Patreon, but if others want to, that's their business. I see the good side of what they're doing and I think they're a fantastic couple. ( Family )
PeroniPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 16:16   #32

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
Is their asking for donations unethical?
Ethics or not,

What did P.T. Barnum say is "Born every minute"?
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 16:59   #33

Boat: Endeavour 33

Patreons that donate are doing it of their own free will. I'm sure. Settle down, buy them a beer, and enjoy the show.
AgPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 19:47   #34

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Well, for what it's worth, they have hit on a formula that appeals to many.
No appeal = no money, and we all need money (including this Cruisers Forum - that is also funded in case no one noticed).
For those to which they appeal, some decide to support them in return.
For those for which there is no appeal, they just move on.

La Vagabond is certainly a very successful business, so good luck to them while it works. I don't like the product placement (Corona being the obvious one), but it doesn't stop me watching for now.
Old 28-02-2021, 19:56   #35

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeroniPete View Post
Give them a break will you... They're just a thoroughly decent young Aussie couple
And how do you know that?
Remember that Ted Bundy's friends thought he was a "very nice" guy as well, " the sort of guy you'd want your sister to marry". .....not that I am suggesting for a second these guys are anything like that.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:41   #36

Boat: Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeroniPete View Post
Give them a break will you... They're just a thoroughly decent young Aussie couple living the life most of us can only dream about. Yes, they may be upwardly mobile, but that's no different to millions of people. I've enjoyed their videos from the very first one, I don't donate on Patreon, but if others want to, that's their business. I see the good side of what they're doing and I think they're a fantastic couple. ( Family )
+1

Well said.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:49   #37

For the life of me I cannot understand why ANYONE would 'donate' or contribute money to someone making YouTube videos? What a scam, live the life you dream of and lets someone else pay for it! PT Barnum was right, there are plenty of 'suckers' born everyday. I really detest and [btw I do not watch more than once] the video bloggers who now figure out that putting a semi-naked woman or scantily clad woman on their what is called 'thumb-nail' they automatically insure a large number of viewers. And I really love the ones where they 'discover' a beautiful perhaps lesser known spot only to INSURE that it will be overrun in the future due to their video. My cousin's restaurant in S. Italy, in an out of the way but beautiful location was surreptitiously filmed by a blogger and all of a sudden, [this is pre-covid] he started getting loads of American tourists. He asked how they found his out of the way restaurant and to a person they said they had seen it on YouTube. Almost all came in an ordered what the blogger order and then would spend a lot of the time taking photos...he got fed up and banned any use of camera's or cell phones in his restaurant. His regular customers complained very loudly and in fact one gentleman went over to a table of tourist and told them to put their phones away, stop taking photos of the food and eat, because this is a restaurant!
oceanluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:52   #38

BTW, I saw the chap at the boat show">Miami boat show a few years ago and he was thoroughly disinterested, and acted like he was doing everyone a favor and would rather have been somewhere else. A big dick if you asked me....
Old 05-03-2021, 06:55   #39

Imho I think Vagabonde channel is fake. I watched it a few times, enough to realise their success is tits and bums, and totally lacks authenticity.

Quite honestly, I shouldn't waste time replying to this, and certainly worry about the sanity of us all in participating in a rubbish sailing channel.
cooper1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:00   #40

So many haters on here.

Have any of you considered that perhaps, the people contributing to La Vagabonde and other popular youtube channels are doing it for some other reason? Someone here said they would rather contribute to their own cruising kitty than someone else's. Had you considered that some people don't have the option to go cruising? Maybe it's financial, maybe they are a caretaker for an ill family member, maybe their health does not allow it or one of the other million reasons why people don't end up fulfilling their dreams that are often not their fault. Contributing that $3-20 a month lets you be part of that dream in some way, heck, it might even give you the chance to meet them and see that dream boat whenever they are in your part of the world. La Vagabonde is not my favorite sailing youtube channel by far, but if it makes someone happy who am I to judge? I have better things to do than worry about what some self important member of this forum thinks about my entertainment choices or how I spend my hard earned money. Life is too short for that crap.
SmokedGouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:00   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1991 View Post
I watched it a few times, enough to realise their success is tits and bums, and totally lacks authenticity.

Quite honestly, I shouldn't waste time replying to this, and certainly worry about the sanity of us all in participating in a rubbish sailing channel.

Yes could not agree more, seems the formula a couple dozen or more YouTubers have followed is buy a boat, get the gal to dress scantily then ask for us saps to finance their dream. Funny, I financed my dream by working my ass off...how about you?
Old 05-03-2021, 07:02   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I have always been mystified as to why people want to throw their hard earned money at other people's cruising kitty instead of their own. Personally, I prefer to donate to legitimate charities that actually help people in need instead of wealthy millennials out having fun. But to each their own. A fool and his money etc.

It's also interesting that donators don't seem to care one iota if they are being scammed or not, so long as the T and A keeps coming each week. By scammed I mean having the begging misrepresented...."boo hoo hoo, please send me money so I can fix my boat", when the REAL intent is to buy a NEW boat. Nobody seems to have a problem with that....which is funny as hell to me.

There should be college courses on this phenomena.

As to La Vag....number ONE by a long shot. So no matter what they're doing. they are filling a need and profiting handsomely from it thanks to the generosity of all the suckers, I mean people out in fandomland.
Exactly this. I'll never understand that channel's popularity. I tried and couldn't make it past the first two minutes.

There are so many wonderful sailing "how tos" on YouTube that are far more worth my time. And I would never give my hard earned money to any youtuber when there are so many other deserving people in the world.

To each their own. I'm relatively new to sailing and the YouTube "giving" thing to those lucky enough to live the lifestyle is one concept that baffles me. More power to them for finding so many donors, but I couldn't ever stoop low enough to ask anyone for money like that. To me, it is very repulsive.
BrockS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:03   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokedGouda View Post
So many haters on here.

Have any of you considered that perhaps, the people contributing to La Vagabonde and other popular youtube channels are doing it for some other reason? Someone here said they would rather contribute to their own cruising kitty than someone else's. Had you considered that some people don't have the option to go cruising? Maybe it's financial, maybe they are a caretaker for an ill family member, maybe their health does not allow it or one of the other million reasons why people don't end up fulfilling their dreams that are often not their fault. Contributing that $3-20 a month lets you be part of that dream in some way, heck, it might even give you the chance to meet them and see that dream boat whenever they are in your part of the world. La Vagabonde is not my favorite sailing youtube channel by far, but if it makes someone happy who am I to judge? I have better things to do than worry about what some self important member of this forum thinks about my entertainment choices or how I spend my hard earned money. Life is too short for that crap.

Give me a break! If there was an icon with a smiley face playing a violin I would use it! Haters my rear end....just not saps who live my life vicariously through others!
Old 05-03-2021, 07:05   #44

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 38
Send a message via Yahoo to dirk_modica

Well, they are not the only ones who started with a smaller old boat and are now on a much larger one without having to go through the rat race (or having great sellable ideas or simply belonging to the "old money" gentry.

Followed LVG for a short time, then stopped; I personally prefer to follow less "photogenic" people, and don't subscribe to any patreon.

Old Sea Dog, Sail with the Flo, Thula, Frida af Visby, Ran sailing, just to name some.

ciao
Dirk Modica
S/y Tramuntana
Centurion 38
Genoa, Italy
dirk_modica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:15   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanluvr View Post
Give me a break! If there was an icon with a smiley face playing a violin I would use it! Haters my rear end....just not saps who live my life vicariously through others!
You must sleep well at night knowing you're better than everyone else.
SmokedGouda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contract