Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2021, 17:53   #136

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: La Vagabonde Contractory Stories

Yup. All you needed to do is go to boat show">Annapolis Boat Show this season and see record crowds looking at boats (pandemic fueled) and hanging around the popular and packed YouTube booth.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 18:19   #137

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

One day I’ll have make a point to watch a YouTube sailing video to see what all this is about.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 22:31   #138

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The sailing Youtubers that many seem to despise are actually revitalising the industry and guess what…….people are buying boats. I wouldn’t be so quick to bag them
Umm, Dave, I'm not part of the sailing "industry" and quite frankly, most of what I perceive that "industry" to address is antithetical to my desires and life style. "Revitalizing" that industry is not on my must do list, nor I suppose, on that of most serious cruisers.

So your admonition is falling on some non-believing ears. I don't "hate" those bloggers, but neither do I admire them or benefit from them... nor watch their product. Further, I don't see that their genre needs protection from detractors. If their product attracts enough folks who are willing to pay them, so be it. If it does not, they will just have to find another way to support their cruising as we all have done in the past... and for many, in the present.

Jim
Old 13-11-2021, 22:39   #139

Is the modern YouTuber "ebeggar" any different to the likes of the Pardeys, Tristan Jones etc who wrote about their sailing and used that income to support their cruising? The only real difference is the medium...
kiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 23:04   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwin View Post
Is the modern YouTuber "ebeggar" any different to the likes of the Pardeys, Tristan Jones etc who wrote about their sailing and used that income to support their cruising? The only real difference is the medium...
Exactly. And as typical, a bunch of sanctimonious disapproving grumpy Cruisersforum boomers contritely denouncing them because they aren’t proper “cruisers” utilizing the approved 40 year old sanctioned and certified “Blue water” boats, kitted with the correct anchor and 300 meters of chain.

Just kidding guys. This boomer’s going to bed! GN!

As a side note, I DO have a lot more non-sailing friends asking questions about the sport/hobby. I concur that it is a good thing.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 23:56   #141
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Exactly. And as typical, a bunch of sanctimonious disapproving grumpy Cruisersforum boomers contritely denouncing them because they aren’t proper “cruisers” utilizing the approved 40 year old sanctioned and certified “Blue water” boats, kitted with the correct anchor and 300 meters of chain.

Just kidding guys. This boomer’s going to bed! GN!

As a side note, I DO have a lot more non-sailing friends asking questions about the sport/hobby. I concur that it is a good thing.

This gave me quite a chuckle, thank you
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 05:21   #142
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
There are very big differences.
Those sailors explored the world as pioneers to new locations without Amazon deliveries, Yacht marinas and service facilities everywhere.
No GPS navigation, Google Earth and Grib files were at their disposal, so I would call that a real adventurers focus rather than providing entertaining content as in a La Vagabonds planned return to Bimini.

Nothing wrong with what they do, but don't compare them to the real pioneering adventurers of the past.

I do hold UMA in high esteem because they are pioneering electric sailing above the Arctic and the quality of their productions are amazing.

This last one is probably one of their best in showing us something different

https://youtu.be/pI4Kcyc_8XA
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 06:00   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
They sold their souls, and their childrens privacy, to the internet.

Just cashing in on the gig economy...

What they are doing is not the GIG Economy. Being a traveling nurse or an Uber driver is an example people taking part in the GIG Economy.

These guys are in the entertainment business.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 11:57   #144
CF Adviser

The Children bit,
.... I find it interesting to watch as the different personalities of Delos, RAN, LaVag, Nangie parents influence their children's own personality under a YouTube spotlight.
Kids are so transparent and in that cloistered kind of environment, it will definitely become apparent.
Old 14-11-2021, 14:01   #145

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
One day I’ll have make a point to watch a YouTube sailing video to see what all this is about.
for any one who knows one end of a boat from the other, most are a complete waste of time

however there are a few who are not so bad eg provide useful travel info on areas you may be planning to visit

weeding the wheat from the chaff is the problem...

cheers,
Old 14-11-2021, 14:41   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
There are very big differences.
Those sailors explored the world as pioneers to new locations without Amazon deliveries, Yacht marinas and service facilities everywhere.
No GPS navigation, Google Earth and Grib files were at their disposal, so I would call that a real adventurers focus rather than providing entertaining content as in a La Vagabonds planned return to Bimini.

Nothing wrong with what they do, but don't compare them to the real pioneering adventurers of the past.

I do hold UMA in high esteem because they are pioneering electric sailing above the Arctic and the quality of their productions are amazing.

This last one is probably one of their best in showing us something different

https://youtu.be/pI4Kcyc_8XA
That is just a function of the times we are in. There is nowhere left unvisited. The first time I was in the Tuamotu it was remote. Now there is cellphone service, 17 airports and deliveries of fresh croissants a few times a week from Papeete.
Where in the world do you expect them to go? I can buy a place on a yacht going to Antarctica if I want. Where is more unvisited than that? Several YouTubers have been through Raja Ampat, the Philippines, PNG and I am not sure there is anywhere less patronised by cruising yachts. As an aside, the world population exceeded 4 billion in 1974, and it's now approaching 8 billion. The previous doubling took 47 years and the one before that 123 years. It's a crowded planet.
kiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 16:41   #147

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
As an aside, the world population exceeded 4 billion in 1974, and it's now approaching 8 billion. The previous doubling took 47 years and the one before that 123 years. It's a crowded planet.
exponential growth is a terrifying thing. somebody with better math than mine could tell us how long the next doubling will take (- < 20 yrs ?)

maybe COVID would have solved the problem - if we hadn't been so keen to solve COVID...

cheers,
Old 14-11-2021, 17:52   #148
CF Adviser

Quote:

Where in the world do you expect them to go? I can buy a place on a yacht going to Antarctica if I want. Where is more unvisited than that? Several YouTubers have been through Raja Ampat, the Philippines, PNG and I am not sure there is anywhere less patronised by cruising yachts. .
I understand and that has opened up amateur cruising for families with babies and people who would never have considered braving the unknowns in pioneering times.

My only comment is that you cannot compare the two as being the same.
Old 14-11-2021, 17:53   #149
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post

maybe COVID would have solved the problem - if we hadn't been so keen to solve COVID...

cheers,
Lol....
...not too late to volunteer
Old 14-11-2021, 18:34   #150

Boat: Island Packet 40

Who cares, storing telling is about telling a good story.

Tags
contract