Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 14:43   #1

Is this a good price for a Laser?

Hello All,

I am new to sailing and am considering taking the small vessel route to learn to sail and gauge the enjoyment before making any costly decisions. I've been keeping up with the debate between classes and "just get out there and sale". I will probably do a little of both but just get out there first.

So this 2015 Laser popped up for $4250.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa...137537802.html

What do you guys think?
Carolina Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 15:12   #2

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Re: Is this a good price for a Laser?

Great idea to start with a small boat. Laser is a great choice. Many think a 48 foot cat is a good starter.

I would suggest getting a beater for less than $1000. Sails nearly as well unless you are racing. Scratches (there will be some) aren't such a concern, and you can sell more easily when you change to something different. You might also consider a sloop rigged something.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 19:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
I would suggest getting a beater for less than $1000. Sails nearly as well unless you are racing. Scratches (there will be some) aren't such a concern, and you can sell more easily when you change to something different. You might also consider a sloop rigged something.
Hey John,

Thanks for the reply. When you mentioned a rigged sloop what type(s) did you have in mind? These seems like a smart idea. Seems like the experience would better translate into a bigger boat or ocean cruiser.
Old 09-06-2020, 20:48   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Another approach to an entry level boat is a day sailor type rather than a racing dinghy. In some ways I think it a better way, unless you are young, bruise-proof and enjoy sailing while wet. This depends somewhat on where you are... if hot and with warm water, not such a big deal, but if in a cooler clime, staying dry can be a good thing!

By chance, I started in an O'Day Osprey, a 15 foot open boat, sloop rigged and very forgiving. There are lots of similar boats, many now fairly old, and this means it is feasible to buy, sail for a while, and sell for essentially what you paid for it (less any repairs needed). Started in N Calif lakes and soon was sailing it in SF Bay, where the water is cold and the air not so damn hot either! Never had to don a wet suit, and felt ok with wife and small kids on board... not possible on a Laser.

Just a different thought...

Jim
Old 10-06-2020, 04:05   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

While I firmly believe everyone should learn to sail a dinghy, a laser can break you, both mentally and physically. These are boats that are famous for the “death roll” when sailed by the lee.

If you’re determined to learn on a wet dinghy, tlc sunfish is more forgiving.

Otherwise I would look at something like JimCate suggested.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:17   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

A 19' Lightning is a nice rigged sloop with a spinnaker.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/lightning

https://www.lightningclass.org/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:17   #7

That seems rather expensive to me for a used laser. They're very simple boats with few parts to wear out so age is not a problem as long as you're not planning on serious racing yet. There are lots available here (uk) for £1000 or less. Look at Laser Radials (smaller rig) or Picos or any of the myriad of sailing dinghies available. I, too, have always considered the laser to be best for gorillas. They're exciting but testing. For an absolute beginner a more forgiving boat for a few hundred dollars might be a better idea. See what's available locally.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:54   #8

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Agree on around 12-17 foot daysailor type. Something to sit in rather than on. A sloop rig gives you a jib to play with and you'll learn about sail interaction and trimming more than on a single sail boat.
Snipe would be my choice, easy to sail, but something you can grow into.
Laser is a solo boat.
Spinnaker is lightyears away.

Keep surfing CL. Also try Sailingtexas.com
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:07   #9

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

As a starter dinghy you can definitely get a better deal than that. Around here you can get older Laser's in decent sailing condition for around 1000 EUR.

You would get trashed if racing them one-design, but they would be good enough for anything else.

If you are a fit and nimble person, I can see you starting with a Laser. If you lack the agility, get something more stable.

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:26   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

You are talking about learning in a lake, if the Charlotte location is near your home. That means sudden gusts and swirling wind. On a windy day you'll get pounded and capsized in something as unforgiving as a Laser. They are also rather inconvenient for picnic afternoon sailing, because the sail does not drop - you have to remove the mast to get the sail down. In your location, an 18' foot or so day sailor, such as the Lightning suggested, makes more sense. The laser is a racing boat.

If more epinephrine jolts appeal to you, consider a Hobie cat. You won't flip as often, and you'll have one hell of a ride.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:54   #11

We bought a 14' day sailer that even ahs a roller furling jib. I think I paid $1,000 for it (about a 1995 year and the sails are original). We've added a few scratches and dings, but don't care. My adult son has it now and we went out a couple of weeks ago in 20kt winds. My son was a bit nervous, but I told him, "The water's warm, we have life jackets on, we're staying in this cove and if we return without the boat we don't care that much." Of course I wasn't serious about returning without the boat, but he got the message that whatever happens to the boat is really a non-issue.

The best way to learn in my opinion.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:42   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

I agree with others who suggest something under $1k, and suggest a sloop rig. I taught myself with a Mutineer in that price range. It did have a furling job and a reefable main. Sold it 6-7 years later for what I bought it for. In retrospect, if I'd lived on a bigger lake a day sailor would have been a better choice.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 20:47   #13

Thanks for the advice. This all makes good sense. To those that questioned my agility. I am 48 and fit but i'm 48 not 28. I plan to start off here at Lake Norman near Charlotte and then head down to the coast when I am ready....Cape Fear, Oriental and/or Charleston. I imagine this could be a year or more down there line.

I will keep my eyes open for a lightning. Study more about the Hobie Cat and see what other day sailors are out there.

Thanks all
Old 10-06-2020, 21:18   #14

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Its all fun however you do it. I wonder if its possible to rent one rather than buy it, just to see if you like it enough to want to own one. Maybe a local sail club can help you out.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 21:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
Its all fun however you do it. I wonder if its possible to rent one rather than buy it, just to see if you like it enough to want to own one. Maybe a local sail club can help you out.
Meeting with someone at the yacht club tomorrow for a general tour but the evil "C" word has everything shut down so I can't get out on one of their boats until social distance restrictions have been lifted.

Tags
price