Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2018, 15:49   #1

Is a hans 33 big enough

Hi all, I thought I knew what boat I wanted but Iv seen something smaller and wondering if it’s big enough for sailing the world. It’s a full keel Hans 33 . My 1st choice was a super maramu but I’m now wondering if the smaller full keel Hans would be ok. As smaller has a lot of other benefits too. I’ll be sailing the Atlantic’s at some point . I’d welcome your thoughts please.
asistephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 15:57   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

That depends on how much room you think you need
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 16:01   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Have you compared the waterline between these? You are gonna spend a lot longer on passage with the short waterline.
Old 25-09-2018, 16:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by asistephen View Post
Hi all, I thought I knew what boat I wanted but Iv seen something smaller and wondering if it’s big enough for sailing the world. It’s a full keel Hans 33 . My 1st choice was a super maramu but I’m now wondering if the smaller full keel Hans would be ok. As smaller has a lot of other benefits too. I’ll be sailing the Atlantic’s at some point . I’d welcome your thoughts please.
I find it very hard to imagine a world where the two choices left are a Hans Christian 33 and an Amel Super Maramu 53... Those are two are so very, very different in just about every way two cruising boats can be.

Neither one of them are bad boats. In fact, they are both great boats. But it is like buying a car and getting stuck on the final decision between a Mini Cooper or a full sized pickup truck.

Honestly, if those are your final choices it strikes me that your decision process might be more impulsive than logical.

But... to answer your exact question, an HC 33 is a great boat for sailing the world. It is not about size. There are much smaller boats that would also be good, and much bigger ones I would not take out of a bay. Is it as comfortable and capable a boat as a Super Maramu? No, but it is technically capable of doing what you ask.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 02:56   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Be sure to sail one first. A friend of ours who had one found it was a bear on a beam reach, from too much weather helm. His thoughts were that the mast was not in quite the right place in the boat. But relocating the mast is a huge job.

There are many other boats in the 33-40 foot range that are eminently capable of a circumnavigation. You might want to check out some other options. For instance, the Hans Christian sure has a lot of teak to varnish. You rather go sailing, or put on many coats of varnish?

Ann
Old 26-09-2018, 08:29   #6

Boat: Gauntlet 12 ton

Has the Hans 33 got a bowsprit? If not maybe that would correct weather helm. I have had a long keel yacht built in timber and wouldn't ever have had another boat, especially when things get a little taxing! Might be slower but you will get there in one piece.
She's still for sale in fact in Turkey at a very reasonable price if you're interested. She's a 12 ton Gauntlet - 41' overall. She brought us unscathed from NZ to Thailand and now we have shipped her to Turkey. Contact me if the idea appeals.
tiare.taporo3@gmail.com
jasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 08:49   #7

Boat: Boatless

An Amel or an HC33 for world cruising?

No brainer.

Ran a HC43 decades ago. Ya like teak and varnish? They are beautiful when up to snuf but it a labor of love to keep them there.
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 08:59   #8

If your “short list” contains only two boats having the fiollowing comparative principal parameters:

HC: 8 tons displacement, SA/D 13, L/D 340, LWL 30 feet, cutter rig with sprit.

Mamaru: 19 tons displacement, SA/D 19, L/D 226, LWL 42 feet, knock-about ketch rig.

you should probably do a good deal more studying before you commit your funds.
You should probably also get some more leagues under your keel before you make such a momentous decision.

You will have heard that the purchase of a house is the greatest expenditure a man is likely to make in his life. You may not be quite so keenly aware that buying AND KEEPING a Mamaru requires access to a number of dollars greater than most people spend on a house! A a house you can sell in a matter of weeks when/if the strain become too much. A Mamaru may take months, even years, to dispose of! My constant counsel to the ambitious is to spend no more on buying a boat than you can walk away from with a smile on yur face!

The HC 33 is certainly capable of blue water work and, if you sail both boats, you will find that the HC is amenable to single handing, which would likely be a problem in the Mamaru, particularly for a sailor so inexperienced that he needs to ask the question you have asked.

Taking issue with JPACate is not something I do lightly, but I would suggest – with the humility that JPA knows I possess ;-) - that if his/her friend's HC had a “hard mouth”, it was most likely because her skipper didn't know how to trim her. A spritted cutter wearing canvas appropriate for the wind and wave at the given time should trim out to have a perfectly neutral helm on any point of sail above the beam reach. So no worries on that score :-)

And do not worry about the theoretical difference in “hull speed” twixt the two boats. In PRACTICAL cruising that has very little relevance. Weatherliness is a kettle of fish of a different colour, but that's where “skippering” comes in.

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 09:20   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Come on now, really

If those are the 2 boats you are considering and you only are concerned about if the small one is big enough, you aren’t anywhere close to choosing a boat.
Old 26-09-2018, 09:27   #10

It's a divergent choice. The Hans 33 is one of the most popular Hans though. Great reputation. But as mentioned, longer = faster. Some people dont care. Some do.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 09:34   #11

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

In the late 70's a 27' sailboat was the average size for a cruising family of 4.

Bigger is not always better. My preference is that the boat needs to be able to be singlehanded including storms, sail changes, anchoring and docking. How big that is depends on the set up and abilities. Bigger$$$$
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 10:22   #12

I think the room may be ok
Old 26-09-2018, 10:31   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I recently traded my Excursion for Saturn Vue. Similar size comparison, obviously not including speed. But you spend most time in port. For a couple the H33 or 38 is a nice size boat. Don't really like either Hans or the Amel, personally so not very biased I wouldn't guess
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 10:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I find it very hard to imagine a world where the two choices left are a Hans Christian 33 and an Amel Super Maramu 53... Those are two are so very, very different in just about every way two cruising boats can be.

Neither one of them are bad boats. In fact, they are both great boats. But it is like buying a car and getting stuck on the final decision between a Mini Cooper or a full sized pickup truck.

Honestly, if those are your final choices it strikes me that your decision process might be more impulsive than logical.

But... to answer your exact question, an HC 33 is a great boat for sailing the world. It is not about size. There are much smaller boats that would also be good, and much bigger ones I would not take out of a bay. Is it as comfortable and capable a boat as a Super Maramu? No, but it is technically capable of doing what you ask.
It’s not impulsive Iv actually been sold on the Maramu for ages and have been and looked at on recently but if I can be happy on a smaller boat it saves a lot of money for my crusing plan and my retirement about 80k plus running costs . So I’m aware they are totally different but I really like the little one too for the fact it little with big boat lovely interior. I’m just thinking will it be too small in sailing performance and too rough in bad weather. Is the trade off worth it I suppose I’m asking what people think ?
Old 26-09-2018, 10:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
If your “short list” contains only two boats having the fiollowing comparative principal parameters:

HC: 8 tons displacement, SA/D 13, L/D 340, LWL 30 feet, cutter rig with sprit.

Mamaru: 19 tons displacement, SA/D 19, L/D 226, LWL 42 feet, knock-about ketch rig.

you should probably do a good deal more studying before you commit your funds.
You should probably also get some more leagues under your keel before you make such a momentous decision.

You will have heard that the purchase of a house is the greatest expenditure a man is likely to make in his life. You may not be quite so keenly aware that buying AND KEEPING a Mamaru requires access to a number of dollars greater than most people spend on a house! A a house you can sell in a matter of weeks when/if the strain become too much. A Mamaru may take months, even years, to dispose of! My constant counsel to the ambitious is to spend no more on buying a boat than you can walk away from with a smile on yur face!

The HC 33 is certainly capable of blue water work and, if you sail both boats, you will find that the HC is amenable to single handing, which would likely be a problem in the Mamaru, particularly for a sailor so inexperienced that he needs to ask the question you have asked.

Taking issue with JPACate is not something I do lightly, but I would suggest – with the humility that JPA knows I possess ;-) - that if his/her friend's HC had a “hard mouth”, it was most likely because her skipper didn't know how to trim her. A spritted cutter wearing canvas appropriate for the wind and wave at the given time should trim out to have a perfectly neutral helm on any point of sail above the beam reach. So no worries on that score :-)

And do not worry about the theoretical difference in “hull speed” twixt the two boats. In PRACTICAL cruising that has very little relevance. Weatherliness is a kettle of fish of a different colour, but that's where “skippering” comes in.

All the best

TrentePieds
The truth is you won’t find these boats in the U.K. where I am to ask to go out on. The Maramu ticks all the boxes . But A’s you’ve stated I know will take lots of money. Up until recently I’d never seen a hans . What a lot of you don’t realise is in the U.K. our boats are pretty much the same boring offerings . The hans living accommodation and a full keel at 33 ft have really surprised me to the point I’m like wow that’s got to be much easier to upkeep, cheaper anyway