Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2018, 02:11   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

Hans 33..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 02:17   #32

Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

Yup any bigger and you will move into a higher payment scale in marinas,I’m on a Sadler 34/10m.
Jamesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 00:26   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qayaq View Post
Had an Amel Sharki, which is basically a 40 foot Maramu lived aboard for 5 years and sailed from the Med to NZ....good boat..

Now I've got a Valiant 32. Sure do miss that aft cabin.

Hi Qayag, the upkeep of a 32 feet is a lot cheaper and the roominess of the valiant 32 is not too bad ,and the hans 33 has a big bowsprit as well you pay for that as well.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00099.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	178879
Pieter Lanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 01:12   #34

How much room and storage will you need?
Zarih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 01:26   #35

Difficult to know yet as all New as livaboards but just two of us
asistephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 01:48   #36

Does anyone here own a Maramu?

See I’m under the impression that they are so well built that maintenance is less than a lot of boats. Thus costs should be similar.

Maramu = No teak to look after

Engine in big water tight engine room. Access from outside under sole

Mostly Everything in one place the engine room

Electric powered sails is a plus

Every parts still available
Company still operating with help on end of a phone.

Everything seems to be built like a tank.
Three separate water tight compartments like a submarine. You can flood the front with water and still sail home. So I’m led to believe and the stern.

So I’m mechanically minded and can do most things myself. Which I think is a massive plus when thinking of sailing around the world. But all my knowledge of the amel is from the amel owners forum which they are quite rightly bieass.

Now can you tell me why the the amel will be more expensive to run in repairs. Is it purely the size in hall out and slip charges because hopefully There won’t be many over 5 years or am I deluding myself? I’m thinking 1 a year 5k plus paint . That’s not going to be vastly more than a 33ft is it ? This is where I’m not experienced. I’m thinking hallout in the phillpeans south Asia or something?

So all that said the thing is it’s a lot more to purchase. And it’s not just the two boats of course I’m looking at others but these two are different but I like them both. God this is the worst part of all of this ! What was this process like for other livabords cruisers ?
asistephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 06:55   #37

Boat: Freedom 38

Personally, I wouldn’t choose either boat. We cruise a Freedom 38 and wouldn’t trade her for anything (except maybe a Freedom 45)... but that doesn’t answer your question. My opinion of the Amel is that she is somewhat of a thoroughbred and requires certain crew resources, financial resources and skippering skills which you may or may not possess. We have a close friend who did a 3 year Caribbean cruise (Lake Erie to Venezuela and back) on his HC33 (around 14 years ago - when it was safer to visit that country). He wrote a book Jade Moonbeams, available from Amazon if interested in getting insight into life aboard. I find her to be very Sea kindly, stable and forgiving. Accommodations are excellent for a couple. In my opinion, the cockpit seating is a bit different from traditional cockpit bench seats. They are very deep so you need to sit back against coating with your legs up or sit forward with your legs in the well but with no backrest. Definitely something you will want to check out if you are planning extended cruising. The helm seat is very comfortable.
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 15:51   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A whole lot of opinions posted here, many based more on fantasy than fact.

One thing to note is that the OP isn't talking about a 55 foot Amel, but rather a 42 foot Amel. Another thing is that the Amels as a group are specifically designed to be operated by a small crew, and have nearly all functions designed to be done from the cockpit. Reefing and flaking the main isn't an issue since it is in-mast furling/reefing, and electrically powered to boot (with manual back up, of course). Headsails are electric furling as well. I'm not an experienced ketch driver, but I am assured by those who are that the ketch rig is superb for short handed sailing, offering great choice of sail plans with little effort, so that too is a plus for the OP's plans. I've been aboard a number of HCs over the years, and have never been impressed by the sail handling gear or layout. Some owners have changed things around to improve this with varying success, but none will have the ease and convenience of the Amel.

Now, as to performance under sail... the numbers are pretty conclusive! The HC is a poor light air performer - lots of wetted area, very small SA to D ratio, fairly high L to D ratio. They will be motoring far more than the Amel, which has less wetted area (for her length), a pretty good SA to D and L to D number. The difference in hull speeds (8.6 vs 7.3) is significant if not huge. The ease of attaining their hull speed or near to it will be quite different due to the ratios noted above and this will affect passage time more than the simple differences in hull speed. The longer WL adds comfort at sea as well as speed. Pitching is reduced rather substantially as the WL lengthens... something I was rather surprised to discover in moving from 29 to 44 feet in our two long term cruising boats.

I'm not a center cockpit fan myself, but the HC's cockpit is small an.d exposed compared to the Amel's well protected center cockpit. In terms of comfort at sea, there is no comparison IMO

And finally, as the OP mentioned just upthread, the Amel's attention to things like crash bulkheads, sealed engine rooms and such is a huge plus for those designs.

To be honest, neither of these boats appeal to me, but I think that an honest evaluation of their qualities rather than subjective glossing is what the OP needs... but I do agree that a lot more time at sea would be of even more help!

Jim
Old 13-01-2019, 12:07   #39

I've also been considering a HC33. I love the design and believe they are great sea boats. They can also move rather well in light airs with the right sails. But I too am concerned with all that teak, especially the decks. I understand that they are fastened with hundreds of screws from below. The decks will need to be recaulked, and this is a very big job.

As for the Amel, I believe these are wonderful boats with brilliant concerns for maintenance and repair. And they have no teak decks! But that boat will cost you more in every way.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 12:48   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
I've also been considering a HC33. I love the design and believe they are great sea boats. They can also move rather well in light airs with the right sails. But I too am concerned with all that teak, especially the decks. I understand that they are fastened with hundreds of screws from below. The decks will need to be recaulked, and this is a very big job.

As for the Amel, I believe these are wonderful boats with brilliant concerns for maintenance and repair. And they have no teak decks! But that boat will cost you more in every way.
Not sure, my Hans 38 were fastened from above. I had the decks removed, no water ingress was found. But yeah, big job.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 13:48   #41

I think the HC33 is a gorgeous yacht. Maybe not a race boat, but if in good condition they sure seem solid. Here is one up to 27knot gusts.

My issue though is the upkeep. We all love teak, ok maybe not all haha. But its certainly got a lot of it, which makes it one of the most eye catching monos of its size. Just make sure you get it thoroughly inspected by a well regarded marine surveyor prior to making an offer.

The Hans Christian 33 Traditional Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

"What separates the HC33 from the larger boats in the Hans Christian line is her exceptional ease of handling, we’ve heard of a 90 year old skipper who sailed from San Francisco to Turkey with only one crew in tow. Given this and the massive amounts of cruising gear the HC33 can swallow, as much as the HC38 and even the HC41, it’s believable to hear of older owners offering straight swaps of their larger Hans Christian model for the HC33."
LuvSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 13:58   #42

But if you can afford the Super Maramu, its chalk and cheese. How many crew?

I love Ketches and this is one of the best imo. Bow thrusters are awesome sauce.

This is probably the best tour Ive seen of one.

LuvSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 14:23   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post

Recaulking is not that bad.. router the old Sika out, clean well then tape up to the edges, prime and re-Sika.. skim the excess off then remove the tape before it sets.
Sand lightly till flush..
Do it in manageable sections.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 09:03   #44

Yes, the Amel is a fabulous boat for sure. But if you go for the Amel, I hope you are a competent mechanic and electrician. They have dozens of complex systems and amenities that will all need attention sooner rather than later. And how big is your crew? You will probably need a few competent sailors as well.
I'm also considering the HC33, but I don't love teak. At least the Amel had the sense to keep wood off the decks.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 07:39   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Many people consider boats in the 20 to 30 ft range to be big enough.
There is a nice book with a list of boats in that range

Title: Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere
By: Joh Vigor

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PYM0Z6...0&linkCode=kpp
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote